Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm confident I have this power setup correctly, but...  (Read 1006 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
I'm confident I have this power setup correctly, but...
« on: May 09, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »

On the yellow X cursor is a gear assembly.  The tile south of that is the vertical axle, showing 40 power.  As you can see however, the gear has zero, as do the horizontal axles connected to it.  I was under the impression that gears are the magic which transfer power between components and around corners.  So what exactly am I missing here?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confident I have this power setup correctly, but...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 05:14:36 pm »

The gear assembly has to intersect the axle itself, not just sit next to it. As in, that assembly should be where the vertical axle is. Axles and gear assembkies function on the same principles, but gearassemblies are omnidirectional where axles are linear, and your gear assembly is not in line with the vertical axle.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confident I have this power setup correctly, but...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »

The gear assembly has to intersect the axle itself, not just sit next to it. As in, that assembly should be where the vertical axle is. Axles and gear assembkies function on the same principles, but gearassemblies are omnidirectional where axles are linear, and your gear assembly is not in line with the vertical axle.
Gotcha.  The wiki says Windmills need an existing gear or vertical, I thought either would work for the bottom-most layer where power goes out to the project.  Were I transferring powering through multiple Z's, then verticals would work until reaching the bottom.