Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Botched Trade  (Read 759 times)

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Botched Trade
« on: May 09, 2015, 02:38:42 am »

I hauled a couple of wooden bins up to the trading floor to trade with the Elves.  They were full of rock crafts.  I didn't select the whole bin to trade.  In fact, I was very careful to only select a few rock crafts out of the bins to trade with. 

The only thing the elves had were crap stuff I didn't need -- and most of it was made of wood.  I didn't select any of their wooden items, only some fruits for the seeds.  So when move forward to trade, the Elves were immediately offended of the items made out of wood and left immediately.  There are several wars with elves nearby on the map so I expect they'll be back with spears.  What went wrong on this trade?  Even though I didn't select the bins to trade, were the elves still offended by them being on the trade floor?  What gives?  Did these hypocrites set me up?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:41:56 am by Clatch »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Botched Trade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:34:42 am »

Two solutions. You either has picked a single wooden item along with your rocks and didnt notice. (believe me it's easy to happen)

Or one of your rock or other items was decorated with wood.

Inevitability

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:38:40 am »

Yeah, for example if you had any wood splints or crutches, those would also be classified as finished goods and could have been stored in the same bins as your rock crafts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:50:20 am by Inevitability »

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 01:44:38 am »

Also, is it possible any of your items somehow got decorated with wood? Wood decorations will offend the elves just as badly as if the items themselves are wooden.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:38:16 am »

Wood itself isn't the only thing you need to look out for - clear/crystal glass will also anger them, since pearlash (<- potash <- lye <- ash <- wood) is required in their fabrication. Obsidian swords are also unacceptable, since their handles are made of wood.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:15:16 am »

To sum it up:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the other side you probably did not start a war, it takes a lot to go from trading to fighting.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 11:17:39 am »

My advice would be to just seize whatever you want next time. Not like those damned knife-ears can appreciate fine craftsdwarfship anyway.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 02:40:42 pm »

Thanks for the insight everyone.  I think you pretty much framed a hopeless situation. LOL

I think I know what I'll do with my next chicksplosion though.