Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Bay12 Census/Survey: Processing results  (Read 15862 times)

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Census/Survey
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2015, 04:44:51 pm »

If you'd have waited a couple of months, I could have broken your internet speed survey with 950mb+. Being alone on a university campus with a laptop, an ethernet cord and knowledge of how the campus internet infrastructure is set up is fun.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2015, 08:04:00 pm »

That's a little disingenuous, don't you think? I mean, I could have used these results:

... but instead I used my home connection, because I can't really do a whole lot on campus internet without people asking awkward questions.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 11:36:31 pm »

That's a little disingenuous, don't you think? I mean, I could have used these results:

... but instead I used my home connection, because I can't really do a whole lot on campus internet without people asking awkward questions.

O.o

Well, time to fap.
*happy about bumping against the 60/12 mbps range*

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2015, 03:09:38 am »

I have abismal upload speed (the test result is actually 20% higher than advertised...), but my WiFi is good! I was not expecting to 110% max out my internet connection on my phone over wifi! I guess having 5GHz ac with a 200-400 Mbps link speed is good for something!
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1275902886
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 01:22:11 pm »

ISPs in my experience* will advertise what they think they can reliably deliver, but it will often be a little more than that.  They don't want a bunch of people calling in saying their speed is not as advertised when it's just due to internet congestion, or uneducated folks on poor wifi connections they just can't control.  So it's not uncommon for speeds (especially on ethernet but sometimes also on a good wifi connection) to be 10%-20% higher than advertised.  Just don't expect it to ALWAYS be there.

*(Experience as a comcast over the phone internet tech support rep.)

Anyway also ptw.  curious about the results.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

It's the same connection (I live here), it's just that at the moment, campus is full of undergrads clogging things up.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2015, 08:29:11 pm »

I did the thing indeed.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2015, 01:26:30 am »

Most of the responses so far were on day 1, but I'm hoping to catch the long-tail by keeping the survey up for 7 days. So, a bump it is! I actually think I would get more responses if I also crossposted to the other DF boards but I feel that would be a bit spammy and off-topic :/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2015, 01:33:21 am »

Most of the responses so far were on day 1, but I'm hoping to catch the long-tail by keeping the survey up for 7 days. So, a bump it is! I actually think I would get more responses if I also crossposted to the other DF boards but I feel that would be a bit spammy and off-topic :/

If most responses were on the first day, why not move it to another board temporarily for one day, before moving on again, with this board being the one you stop on?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:27 am »

For the income question, do you want gross or net? There's a pretty big difference. I'm going to assume you mean gross, but hey, you never know.

Also, I'm done.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:43:10 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 01:49:16 am »

If most responses were on the first day, why not move it to another board temporarily for one day, before moving on again, with this board being the one you stop on?
Hmm, that's actually a pretty good idea...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Bay12 Census/Survey -- on board tour
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 01:51:01 am »

I put a link to it in my sig, but I mostly post in GD so I don't think it's made much difference. :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Census/Survey -- on board tour
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2015, 05:01:57 am »

I do reserve the right to make up obviously stupid awnswers to required fields where I do not want to give that information. Also, asexuality is broader than yes/no.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7