Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Bay12 Census/Survey: Processing results  (Read 15585 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Bay12 Census/Survey -- on board tour: 2 days left!
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:57 pm »

So... logically if you don't like the survey, what you should do is put hurtful insults because it actually has a chance of preventing this from happening again? That's the only real functional difference I see implied by this being a small-scale thing rather than a corporation.
Seeing as you don't appear to have worked it out yet, the mature and sensible thing to do is tell us what your issues are and possibly how we can work around it. Or, if that's too much like hard work, just ignore the thread for a few days before it goes away.

On the other hand, what isn't mature and sensible is to get all butthurt because an informal survey asked a couple of nonstandard questions.

I am at a loss as to why you insist on doing the latter.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Census/Survey -- on board tour
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:16 am »

Anyway, with regards to the survey, I hope you guys that filled in joke answers to questions are at least mildly ashamed of yourselves, because this isn't some huge corporation coming and trying to push products on you, this is a bunch of forumers
So... logically if you don't like the survey, what you should do is put hurtful insults because it actually has a chance of preventing this from happening again? That's the only real functional difference I see implied by this being a small-scale thing rather than a corporation.

How about the fact that it being small-scale means that there is no monetary profit involved for anyone, and this is purely a few people deciding that, for free, they were going to see if they could gather some interesting information about the online community that they are a part of.

With regards to the questions being potentially hurtful, if the fact that there is a place where less wound up members of said online community can list their diagnosed disorders, if they feel like it, offends your sensibilities then you are either misunderstanding the meaning of the word "optional," or an idiot. This is coming from someone who was clinically diagnosed as "mostly unsociable" on the autism spectrum and had no issue putting that in the survey.

In terms of joke questions... this is Bay12 ffs. Our greatest works involve or are about genocide, child abuse, extinction, torture, gladiatorial combat, enslavement and killing of sentient beings, worship of a blood god, putting dwarves in hell, setting the world quite literally on fire, and minotaurs killing things with socks. And on the whole these things are considered funny and cool.
If you can't handle a joke in a serious context then Bay12 is not the place for you.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2015, 11:50:16 am »

I saw someone gripe about Toady pushing a political agenda. I think it might have been in Future of the Fortress. Could have been on a different forum tho.

I did see some incredibly negative reactions on non-mechanical grounds in the forums, but the majority of those were quickly removed or the threads were forgotten. In fact, you could argue that objections on mechanical grounds are entirely unfounded since it's a relatively simple matter to ctrl-f replace the default orientation tag with one more conducive to breeding (since unless I'm horribly mistaken, the vast majority of creatures use the same default orientation values).

Heh, I must have missed those. Probably for the best.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2015, 01:51:33 pm »

As a suggestion for next time, almost any question that asks for a number is bad news.  Try using bins for income, height, Internet speed, etc.

If you insist that the mental health questions have merit, there should probably be pull-down menus to avoid ambiguity from different classification schemes in different fields/countries.  It's also a nice spot to stick Easter Egg responses like Carp Phobia and Magmaphilia.

I also believe that a voluntary survey shouldn't have any mandatory questions on it.  Any statistical software worth using will skip over blank values without trouble, and the pattern of non-responses can itself be interesting.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »

On the other hand, what isn't mature and sensible is to get all butthurt because an informal survey asked a couple of nonstandard questions.

I am at a loss as to why you insist on doing the latter.
Who's butthurt, son? I'm not offended, and I answered seriously but that doesn't mean it's not obvious how inane a lot of this is. What really isn't mature or sensible is getting so damn defensive over people not praising something.

How about the fact that it being small-scale means that there is no monetary profit involved for anyone, and this is purely a few people deciding that, for free, they were going to see if they could gather some interesting information about the online community that they are a part of.
What relevance does profit have? Why should we care if money is being made, if it's not made nor lost by us or ours?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:25:12 am by Cruxador »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2015, 11:16:18 pm »

Err, Crux, I think part of the whole thing being talked about now is some kind of interfering negativity on your side, when you talk about the survey and its process. Something that isn't being directly described.

It's subtly present in your posts as of late. (Or, y'know, that's how it seems to me. Unless that's how verbal culture goes anyway :/) It seems to be poking at the many assumptions in the context though.

Constructive criticism please? :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:51:02 pm by Tiruin »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »

ptsd isnt categorized?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2015, 05:26:52 am »

Err, Crux, I think part of the whole thing being talked about now is some kind of interfering negativity on your side, when you talk about the survey and its process. Something that isn't being directly described.

It's subtly present in your posts as of late. (Or, y'know, that's how it seems to me. Unless that's how verbal culture goes anyway :/) It seems to be poking at the many assumptions in the context though.
I honestly don't understand the intended meaning of this post. Rephrase maybe?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2015, 06:06:10 am »

Did the survey just now.
Neat.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2015, 11:29:50 am »

I have a stong feeling I'll be very lonely on some parts of that survey.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2015, 01:31:51 pm »

The survey isn't working for me. Am I too late?
Regards,
Dampe

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2015, 03:46:55 am »

I honestly don't understand the intended meaning of this post. Rephrase maybe?
She's trying to say what I've been saying. Please give constructive criticism instead of "your questions are bad and you should feel bad".

The survey isn't working for me. Am I too late?
Yeah, it's finished. Keep an eye out for the results and/or next year's survey.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
Re: Bay12 Census/Survey: Processing results
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2015, 02:03:16 pm »

Damn.
:/
Oh, well.
I'm sure the results will be interesting anyways.
Regards,
Dampe

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2015, 12:45:10 pm »

yes hello

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2015, 04:00:06 am »

Do we have results? I missed submitting a survey response since I wasn't active on the forums at the time, but I'm interested to see what the demographics are. Data is fun.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7