Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting anew, mixed or above-ground fort, wanting some advice  (Read 1682 times)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting anew, mixed or above-ground fort, wanting some advice
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:09 pm »

The most hilarious part about the pregenned forges? its not uncommon to find ones made of bitumous coal XD You can easily reclaim the food too- just paint a food stockpile under them asap, then unforbid them.  You'll also need to seal off the roads- trolls can and WILL wander right down said underground tunnels and stroll right up your central ramp.

Those pre-genned forts do have a large interior area already walled up- you could just floor over the ramp access and use it as the base of a castle-town.  You can even salvage some of the supplies (tons of clothing, armor, and weapons- not to mention furniture and forges to deconstruct).  As mentioned, your best bet would be to make a custom profession and name it "Monk"  Have them farm and brew drinks only.  I don't believe you can rename noble positions, but you can make another profession called "bishop" or some such and make him the record keeper? Just put his office in w/e space you designate as the temple and make it as big and opulent as you wish.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 11:11:12 am »

I don't believe you can rename noble positions, but you can make another profession called "bishop" or some such and make him the record keeper?
It's an easy thing to do if you don't mind modifying the RAW files. You can make a special noble position which you can assign to as many dwarves as you like with special tasks.

You can also turn the cathedral into a huge diner with only one table and one chair. One dwarf would come at a time and "pray" at the altar by bringing food :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zachski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 12:39:40 am »

I'm abandoning the idea of priests/bishops, not worth the effort XD

Though I might designate a group of dwarves as "druids" and have them exclusively work with wood, above-ground gardening, gathering, animals, and butchering.  They'll be a part of the above-ground caste.

...What, did you think I meant treehuggers like those filthy elves?  Nah, I mean they actually respect nature.  And nature makes use of all of its resources, isn't squeamish about blood and meat.  The only time a druidorf's gonna hug a tree is to carry it to be cut down into useful resources.

Though they'll be interested in keeping the cycle of nature *going*.  No over-harvesting of wood and the like.

Of course it would help if I would actually start playing, but real life has been bogging me down as of late.

(Doesn't help that it's harder to play without a numpad, and I'll probably have to plug in a keyboard that has it at this point)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »

I'm abandoning the idea of priests/bishops, not worth the effort XD
Maybe something to just backburner, not for a starting fort to juggle, but once you have the foundation down. ;)

But one or a few custom job titles could be nice from the start, if you want to nod to it from the get go.
Pages: 1 [2]