Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most useless strange moods?  (Read 1495 times)

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
Most useless strange moods?
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

My latest fort is amusing me quite a bit, so I figured I'd share the story, and see if anyone else had any similar amusing stories.

Normally I don't care much what my embark area looks like, so this time I was pleasantly surprised to find lots of magnetite and flux, as well as some coal and native silver and platinum veins exposed at the surface. I struck the earth, and it wasn't long until I started getting strange moods.

Out of the six I've had so far, there were two armoursmiths, a weaponsmith, and a carpenter. Pretty useful, huh? Nope. They were all posessions. I'm sat here in a mountain of steel, and I have no dwarves who can make good use of it. And the remaining two "useful" moods? Leatherworker and bonecrafter, naturally. Looks like I'll be decking my dwarves out in ¤cat leather armor¤ and ¤turtle bone greaves¤ instead.

Amusingly, the first armorsmith produced a neat set of iron leggings. He decided to name them "The Flimsy Shreds". Dwarf with a sense of humour, or is he hinting that his craftsdwarfship is always of the highest quality after all? :P

What other particularly amusing and/or useless moods has everyone else had?

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Re: Most useless strange moods?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »

My current fortress.... 2 possesions, 5 fey moods.

2 bracelets of pure stone, and 1 ring of stone
1 dog bone amulet decorated with cat bone :/
1 idol of pure wood
1 crown of stone and bone and one of wood and leather
   :mad:

[ January 05, 2008: Message edited by: Nite/m4re ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

I hate wood and bone carver moods. It just feels like a major waste to me. Even a masterpiece wooden bolt wont do much more damage than an iron one. also the crafts are half-assed in value as well.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:23:00 pm »

does anyone know how a artifact cloth sword stacks up to a normal steel one in damage?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>does anyone know how a artifact cloth sword stacks up to a normal steel one in damage?</STRONG>

I've gotten bone swords, but never cloth. Screen?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by kuro_suna:
<STRONG>does anyone know how a artifact cloth sword stacks up to a normal steel one in damage?</STRONG>
Dunno.  But if I make some reasonable assumptions I can offer a educated guess.

First off, I'll assume that cloth does 50% damage (as this seems to be the baseline).  Second, we know that artifacts do more then 2x base damage; a rough guess of 2.5x seems not unreasonable.

My guess:  The sword will be slightly worse than a no-quality steel weapon.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:37:00 am »

I've got this 'Shipwrecked' community game going on, with trade restrictions (no humies, elves, liasons) until i get a lighthouse up.

My first wave of immigrants (in spring of the second year) grants me a weaponsmith who happens to get possessed before he even gets to the fort. While we don't have anvils and cannot trade for them unless a dwarf caravan brings them unrequested.

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

Well, my weaponsmith is still useless, but he managed to make an awesome artifact. He ended up gathering 10 items to make an iron crossbow. He named it "The Lined Heavens of Wrath". I approve of this name.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I hate wood and bone carver moods. It just feels like a major waste to me. Even a masterpiece wooden bolt wont do much more damage than an iron one. also the crafts are half-assed in value as well.</STRONG>

Keep in mind that quality affects accuracy. And afaik, material has no affect on accuracy whatsoever. So those "weak" masterpiece wood bolts are still going to land a lot more hits than your average steel bolt.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

Possesed farmers are by far the worst. They just grab 1-2 low quilty ingredients and call it a craft.

Legendary bone carvers are actualy useful tho, i can turn a goblin siege into about 15k of monies, before touching their armor.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »

I like having skilled bone carvers around as well. Even if its just so that I can turn that dragon skull into a masterpeice dragon totem and decorate it with gold :d

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Last night I had my stone crafter go into a secertive mood with 2 objects. He got some stone and my only freaking gold bar and came out with a microline toy battle axe with gold on it O.o He won't put it down he carries it every where he goes like he's a child. I'm going to make him drop it and trade it to some fancy elf and laugh as he goes insane.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Quarthinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

Not without killing him, you won't.

EvilBobtheALMIGHTY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Quarthinos:
<STRONG>Not without killing him, you won't.</STRONG>

You'll have to take it away from his cold, dead hands.

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

I had a craftdwarf make a rhyolite ring with no decorations once. I think it was worth, like, 12 bucks.

I tossed him into the volcano.

Pages: [1] 2