Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: The Nightborn [RP/RPG]  (Read 9878 times)

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Nightborn [RP/RPG]
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2015, 01:42:41 am »

To Golagd (1st of Brauph)

The journey was blessed, or cursed depending on your perspective. Itther, god of the nightborn, hung heavy and full in the sky and chased away the sun, while Hybenar and Iwdon skulked, only half present. By the favor of this light the six left the vampire behind and journeyed out into a savanna, sharp blades of grass brushing against those with flesh to feel it. The hulking forms of Larek, Hadius, and Thornwhip rose high out of the grass, and their feet trampled it into a matted trail. Alicia and the host followed close behind them while Shwarak nimbly picked his way through the crushed blades amongst their feet, though never too close.

The savanna was ruled over by mighty oaks which stretched above the grasses and stretched their canopies wide. The group approached the first tree they saw, and found worshipers of Brauph reveling beneath its leaves. A great snake, mottled with dark blues and purples, oscillated between this world and another as it slithered, coils disappearing entirely into consuming darkness before reappearing later in its body. Other dark spirits, their forms constantly changing, danced wildly beneath the tree. But rituals to Brauph were inherently solemn affairs, and soon a slim shade gained control over these flighty creatures. A flameling, a bright wisp-like creature beloved by elves, was brought to base of the tree, and the snake seemed to dive through it into the roots of the tree. Suddenly its light was extinguished and the spirits began their dance again, rushing at the group and trying to force them to join in. Soon more spirits poured out of the tree until the entire area under the broad tree was filled with a shifting blackness of overlapping voids. The group almost lost each other, and themselves, before they found a way out from under the tree. They resolved after that to dodge the tall oaks, and stick to the open grasses.

Soon, though, they found the jungle. One moment it was a blemish on the grassy horizon, and the next they were faxing down a thick wall of foliage. Thornwhip seemed to move readily amongst the plants despite his mass, and Shwarak was no less nimble, but the others had to fight their way forward against a jungle that seemed to repel them every step of the way. It was during this stretch that time began to lose meaning. Thornwhip kept them headed in the right direction, though his ability to fade in and out of the forest growth frequently left his companions feeling abandoned.

Suddenly Thornwhip became more visible, standing out in a slightly thinning forest which suddenly contained a fair amount of stone. Stone which the forest had reclaimed, to be sure, but stone nonetheless. Soon a rough street began to emerge, a pale stone walkway covered by vined growths. The walked past buildings which had been reduced to rubble, or perhaps had one or two sections of wall still standing. One building was held remarkably upright by a tree which had grown through its roof, and whose branches now supported it.

They were not allowed to wander the ruins of Golagd for long before a kobold with a spear came to greet them. When the small creature saw them it quickly ran off, and soon they were surrounded by the little lizard creatures, at least twenty. Not that a brood of twenty kobolds with flimsy spears could have actually held the group captive, but it at least made the kobolds feel better. When they mentioned settling the atmosphere lightened and the lizard folk walked off with them towards a small clearing.

It looked like a gathering site, a circular space with steps leading up to a center surrounded by pillars. In other ruins elsewhere in the world there would likely have been a well for people to gather at as they collected water. In these ruins, however, there was a small stone alter, and perched atop that alter was a kobold. In one hand he held a staff that was decorated with the a snake rattle, some sort of large nut from a tree, and an ear from something so monstrously large that the ear itself was bigger than the kobold’s head. In the other was a dead bird which the kobold held by its feet and gesticulated wildly with, occasionally causing feathers to fly loose. If this was a regular symbol of office than it must be replaced frequently in order for there to be any bird to wield. A mad shaman indeed.

”Visitors on the first day of Brauph?! But there is so much of you for the void god to send! Well, if the god has sent much flesh it must be without purpose. What will it be? Do you lack purpose, and are here, or are you not here for a reason?” The kobold’s speech suggested the bird may be both alive and a skilled ventriloquist, though a poor impersonator.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2015, 08:39:54 am »

Yay, the first update! Golagd also is a nice place for my character to enter, if needed. Do we have a party face?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2015, 08:59:13 am »

Larek stays within the group, but he does answer the shaman.
"We do have a purpose here, O... wise shaman.
We have come to live here, would you allow us."
Black lives matter.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2015, 09:33:13 am »

Carefully wander off before anyone notices me, and observe from a distance.

To clarify, Skwarak wouldn't travel with others by filing in after them, but would follow from a greater distance.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2015, 11:11:59 am »

Offering themselves up as sacrifices?
The kobolds talk really matched his unhinged appearance. The vampires claim that the warlock should run Golagd, seemed to be true.

Content to let others talk diplomacy with the lizardine figurehead, the bloodvine kept a slightly weary eye on the surrounding kobolds.
She also most certainly did not wonder how the little buggers might taste. No. Really not.

(( Are Seasons a thing in this world? Not that there weren't enough "seasonal" happenings, with at least god-months and the moons to consider, just out of curi/necessity. Plants are big on seasons, after all. ))

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2015, 12:25:02 pm »

Yay, the first update! Golagd also is a nice place for my character to enter, if needed. Do we have a party face?
((Most of the game won't be played as a party, and given there are six players in Golagd waitlisters would probably need to enter at another settlement when I was ready.))

"We do have a purpose here, O... wise shaman.
We have come to live here, would you allow us."
The kobold bounded down to Larek. "Live here?! I suppose some of us do. So you could too! Golagd spins about the tower, and only around here are buildings clear to use. But don't worry, the spinning is slow enough you won't get dizzy! A few of my kobolds do get flung off into the forest though...

Four of them! I have four buildings clear. A domed building with three rooms, if you don't mind having domemates! Two of them are small houses, need repairs but you get your own place. The last is the tower! Real bullfrog of a warlock in there. You'd want to get rid of him, he likes people too much.

My kobolds, they could clear better spaces if a bird told them so!"
He swung his bird around, just in front of Larek and the others.

Carefully wander off before anyone notices me, and observe from a distance.

To clarify, Skwarak wouldn't travel with others by filing in after them, but would follow from a greater distance.

You slip quietly between the kobolds' feet, moving outside the circle and finding a small stone to stand on. You can still see everything that is taking place, but you're removed from the swinging of birds. ((Noted on the travelling thing.))

(( Are Seasons a thing in this world? Not that there weren't enough "seasonal" happenings, with at least god-months and the moons to consider, just out of curi/necessity. Plants are big on seasons, after all. ))
((Seasons here are not so organized as in our world; they depend on the area and sometimes even on the worship in that area. Adjacent biomes could have very different seasons based on the whims of the gods. It takes a lot of experience with an area to fully describe the seasonal effects on palnts. Your charater will have some insights into this, but you could also ask local residents (to be read as the nutjob waving the bird).))

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »

Though it took about half of her willpower not to gut the kobold the moment he talked about  sacrificing them, Alicia manages to ask "Wise one, does the warlock live alone?"
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2015, 12:55:20 pm »

Head into Golagd stealthily, softly! These people are unintelligible once again. Look for a nice hidey-hole. No doubt plenty of vermin inhabit this area.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:40:22 pm by Harry Baldman »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2015, 12:57:06 pm »

Larek nodded at the kobold's words. He could use the larger house for his smithy, but that would deprive two others of living space. A smaller house might be better, but it would be cramped...
Black lives matter.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2015, 01:39:15 pm »

Thornwhip smiled bemused at the mention of housing. Cages of stone and dead wood, more often than not with only one exit. A trap, waiting to be sprung on the resident.

A well-grown grove, on the other vine, was multiple traps waiting to be sprung on the intruder, with the ample means of escape only visible to the one who set it all up in the first place.
She would have to raise a grove as such, eventually.

"I don't regard such confines as safety. Decide amongst yourself without me.", she told to the group at lowered volume, before raising her voice towards Golug.

"With your permission, shaman, I would rather claim a small patch of woodland as my quarter. If it is within, or close to the settlement, all the better."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2015, 02:12:39 pm »

Larek nods slightly to Thornwhip.
Black lives matter.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2015, 03:00:50 pm »

Though it took about half of her willpower not to gut the kobold the moment he talked about  sacrificing them, Alicia manages to ask "Wise one, does the warlock live alone?"
"Depends on the day! Guests usually last for a day or two, and their bodies keep going for a few more. Right now he has five friends, one of them a kobold."

"With your permission, shaman, I would rather claim a small patch of woodland as my quarter. If it is within, or close to the settlement, all the better."
"Plants living in the plants?! How will we tell you apart from your neighbors? Nevermind, no matter. You smell off. Of course you can have a grove, provided you keep bathing to a minimum."

Head into Golagd stealthily, softly! These people are unintelligible once again. Look for a nice hidey-hole. No doubt plenty of vermin inhabit this area.
As you expected, there is not shortage of small holes around in which a rat can easily hide, and in fact a fair number had occupying rodents. One of the better locations you found consisted of a collapsed wall which sheltered a area roughly ten times your size. The cracked slab looked fairly structurally sound, though it would probably leak a little. You also saw a small cellar beneath a broken door, which would be very spacious indeed, but it smelled strongly of dried herbs, at least one of which was ratbane.

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2015, 04:02:15 pm »

"Depends on the day! Guests usually last for a day or two, and their bodies keep going for a few more. Right now he has five friends, one of them a kobold."
"Were any of those undead before becoming his guests, lord Kobold?"

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2015, 05:13:47 pm »

"Were any of those undead before becoming his guests, lord Kobold?"
"Undead?! What use would he have for those? Don't feel pain right. No, he likes them very much alive."

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »

"Excellent, if you'll excuse me Lord Kobold, a job opportunity just opened up." She bows and heads towards the tower, taking in the sights of the encampment and the tower itself.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10