Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Sort of MUD Would B12G Play?  (Read 1974 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What Sort of MUD Would B12G Play?
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:08:36 pm »

This is something that's been floating around my head for awhile now and I've built a VERY barebones one with a team (although it ended up being a bit of a too many cooks deal).

What sort of MUD would B12G play?

In case you don't know what a MUD is, it's essentially a very primitive text-based MMO.

So, come on, give me your all. What sort of setting, what sort of levelling system etc etc.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Sort of MUD Would B12G Play?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:11:04 pm »

Ha-ha! I saw your double post!

In all seriousness, I prefer the ones that keep the numbers and statistics strictly behind the curtain. I feel like that really combines the immersive roleplaying environment and the mechanical system together. But then again, this is coming from a roleplayer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:15:22 pm »

I'm still an awful person who likes Iron Realms MUDs.

If we're talking something B12 would like, probably something with player-run institutions where we can set up in an area and really take over. Maybe Carrion Fields.
Shoes...

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 04:18:16 pm »

In all seriousness, I prefer the ones that keep the numbers and statistics strictly behind the curtain. I feel like that really combines the immersive roleplaying environment and the mechanical system together. But then again, this is coming from a roleplayer.

Trust me, if I was to build anything it'd be roleplay enforced.

I'm still an awful person who likes Iron Realms MUDs.

If we're talking something B12 would like, probably something with player-run institutions where we can set up in an area and really take over. Maybe Carrion Fields.

I don't even think IRE MUDs are bad, they're just hilariously costly.

And we've set up a Dwarven Empire in EmpireMUD. We're currently the second most powerful although we have margins of difference more members.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 04:30:31 pm »

The joy of MUDs is that you can make massive, intricate, and exciting areas with just some creative writing skills and a corkboard. So for me it's anything that's big and immersive enough to explore and get lost in with my friends, all the while avoiding roleplayers.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:24:00 pm »

If I was to play a DF mud, it would have to be something where you can dig out rooms (not @Dig), corridors, etc, and craft things and have the things be -, + or * and so on.
Also the entire area of play is randomly generated using fractals and whatever. I have no idea how this would work in a MUD tho. A room can't just be a single tile, unless all tiles you dig are "room-sized".
I have been toying with some really good codebase thing called DGD (a bit of a pain to compile tho but it's persistent and shit), but I don't have any experience actually making a MUD.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 05:48:18 pm »

If I was to play a DF mud, it would have to be something where you can dig out rooms (not @Dig), corridors, etc, and craft things and have the things be -, + or * and so on.
Also the entire area of play is randomly generated using fractals and whatever. I have no idea how this would work in a MUD tho. A room can't just be a single tile, unless all tiles you dig are "room-sized".
I have been toying with some really good codebase thing called DGD (a bit of a pain to compile tho but it's persistent and shit), but I don't have any experience actually making a MUD.

Try Empiremud.
The map looks like it, you can dig, shop trees and such. You can even build your homes into cliffsides and shit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:54 pm »

I think what it'd take to get me back in to mudding would be a fantasy version of that one (/couple) of RTS-style MUDs I played a little a long ways back, except primarily PvE. Necromancy, golem building, evil hoards, all that sexy stuff, set against some kind of huge encroaching menace. Bonus points if losing the proverbial fight isn't just a possibility but a likelihood, but not the end of personal progression. Probably compartmentalize it somewhat so it can scale both down and up depending on how many people are playing.

Alternately, if someone made Ogre Battle (with maybe more in-depth individual character progression and a smexy crafting/equipment system) in to an expansive text-based brawl, I would be drooling all over that and possibly failing to restrain myself from humping it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 08:36:09 pm »

Personally i love star wars mud, the one with a massive crafting system where you can basicly create about anything. Only thing i dont really like is the emptiness of space, i LOVE pve content and all star wars mud i saw so far had none.

Also i played a shadowrun MUD once awakening i think? Nice combat but sadly... i got scammed by player too many time or outright stole from me. Kinda hard to make money doing PVE.

Also star trek MUSH are nice but there is way too much emphasis on the RP and not enough content for small group of player, fight is almost non existant, no real reason to fly ships. All system in place but no AI there again...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:56:24 pm »

In the opinion of a filthy casual:

I'd like a MUD that was primarily small-party dungeon crawling, like Nethack or Crawl with three- to five-person parties. When not in an instance, towns function as a sort of lobby where you can interact with other players, chat, buy and craft equipment, etc. but there's not much of a real overworld.

One thing I'd like to see is a MUD with a faux-console aesthetic, as opposed to an actual console. I don't play very many MUDs because the limitations of console "graphics" don't mesh well with the complexity of information presented by an online game. So it looks like a traditional MUD, but it has some niceties like chat bubbles appearing over the head of the character that said them, interface elements that can be repositioned, the game window scaling nicely, etc.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:54 pm »

I've been building a mud for the past several years.  It's a very on-and-off project and I have gone months at a time without working on it.

It's a standard medieval fantasy Diku-derived hack and slash mud with optional pvp combat.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 07:40:54 am »

I remember there was a DF MUD project (not really - it was more of a creative thing  with little to no combat and I'm not sure of the terminology for a pure-creative MUD-like) at some point many moons ago. I logged in a few times - the players were going to design the entire map as well as expand on whatever codebase it was on.

If I was not lazy and not at work, I would look through my history and try to find it.

Decided I was lazy enough to not work. It's dead, but here you go.

Also, a slightly newer thread.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:47:44 am by Mephisto »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 10:19:05 am »

I'd prefer an updated MUD-like. One with some sort of proper user interface, a minimap and all that jazz. Obviously no graphicsgraphics, but there's no need to stick to awkardly hammering out stuff in the console when there are better ways to do it.

Nostalgia is all good, but there are so many MUDs to cater to that and I don't think it's worth just reinventing the wheel.

I'd personally prefer to see one where there's a lot of PvE (almost exclusively!) and a proper combat system. I'm not massively into RPing, especially when it's basically to glide over shoddy mechanics.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 11:37:22 am »

Yea, generally I prefer MUDS with some sort of developed UI. In this aspect, hellmoo was brilliant, making excelent use of ASCII maps allowing you to have instant general idea of where you are and whats around you.  Wayfar also does a pretty good job at this.

But yea, I prefer muds with in depth character progression that allow you to create characters that play completely different from one another, rather then just a basic d&d class thing. In this aspect hellmoo also shined, since there were mutations, and some mutation required others to become attainable. This eventualy culminated in mutation paths that radically changed how you played and your standing in the game world.
A vampire had tons of extra stats but literally burst into flames in sunlight, forcing players to adapt to going out during the night, staying indoors and using the sewers to move around during the day. Abominations were actively hunted by pretty much everyone, meaning you cant interact with civilization anymore (including shop npcs) and forcing you to adapt to living in the wilderness and being quick and furtive in your urban incursions (or just being strong enough to lolsmash anything). Zombies would literally rise from the dead a little while after being killed, if their bodies remained whole, etc.

I want a MUD that lets me do crazy things with my characters, not just become better at killing stuff using A, B or C method. I also want a MUD that allows me to create my own stuff, my own buildings, etc. A proceduraly generated world ALA wayfar is also a plus, since I want to be able to explore around and find stuff that nobody else knows.

Yea, I know, I'm pretty picky, but I dont see a reason to waste time on a MUD if it doesnt at least give me more freedom then MMOs do.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 11:40:26 am »

Yea, generally I prefer MUDS with some sort of developed UI. In this aspect, hellmoo was brilliant, making excelent use of ASCII maps allowing you to have instant general idea of where you are and whats around you.  Wayfar also does a pretty good job at this.

But yea, I prefer muds with in depth character progression that allow you to create characters that play completely different from one another, rather then just a basic d&d class thing. In this aspect hellmoo also shined, since there were mutations, and some mutation required others to become attainable. This eventualy culminated in mutation paths that radically changed how you played and your standing in the game world.
A vampire had tons of extra stats but literally burst into flames in sunlight, forcing players to adapt to going out during the night, staying indoors and using the sewers to move around during the day. Abominations were actively hunted by pretty much everyone, meaning you cant interact with civilization anymore (including shop npcs) and forcing you to adapt to living in the wilderness and being quick and furtive in your urban incursions (or just being strong enough to lolsmash anything). Zombies would literally rise from the dead a little while after being killed, if their bodies remained whole, etc.

I want a MUD that lets me do crazy things with my characters, not just become better at killing stuff using A, B or C method, like teleporting around, becoming invisible, mind control, eating other players, hunting and being hunted by npcs/players, transforming my character into other things, losing limbs and growing new ones. I also want a MUD that allows me to create my own stuff, my own buildings, etc.
A proceduraly generated world ALA wayfar is also a plus, since I want to be able to explore around and find stuff that nobody else knows.

Yea, I know, I'm pretty picky, but I dont see a reason to waste time on a MUD if it doesnt at least give me more freedom then MMOs do.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:56:25 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: [1] 2