Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60329 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, actually. They can read minds and stuff.
When they're not lazy as hell, I mean.
Wut. Ok, so KX9 mind-reading technology is supposed to be this expensive thing that requires machinery to work, but now they're apparently so awesome that they can just casually do it themselves? Isn't psychicness supposed to be an anomaly, in any case?

I imagine many folks would be resentful of being muscled out of places they used to control by fast-breeding immortal cyborgs. From the perspective of many aliens, letting KX9 settle on your world must seem like a sure way to end up loosing autonomy, and this probably leads to prejudices against them forming (and humans / other human offshoots by association, since to aliens they'd probably all look very similar).
Indeed, especially since the KX9 are all supposed to be amoral dicks.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

(( And now I wait to see where this shit ends up))

Spoiler: Sigmund "Sig" Urbane (click to show/hide)

This works, May throw in something eldritch later.

Yes, actually. They can read minds and stuff.
When they're not lazy as hell, I mean.
Wut. Ok, so KX9 mind-reading technology is supposed to be this expensive thing that requires machinery to work, but now they're apparently so awesome that they can just casually do it themselves? Isn't psychicness supposed to be an anomaly, in any case?

I imagine many folks would be resentful of being muscled out of places they used to control by fast-breeding immortal cyborgs. From the perspective of many aliens, letting KX9 settle on your world must seem like a sure way to end up loosing autonomy, and this probably leads to prejudices against them forming (and humans / other human offshoots by association, since to aliens they'd probably all look very similar).
Indeed, especially since the KX9 are all supposed to be amoral dicks.
62's are extremely powerful Empaths. They're so chronically unmotivated however that they often don't move more then three feet in a day, just having robots feed them while they sunbathe. Everything is a pain to them~ Including walking. Good luck getting one to focus enough to read the enemy's battleplans. The stronger the psion, the worse the mental tradeoff is.

Many KX9 are amoral dicks. Specially the ones that do science. And yes, plenty of species would be pissed off at the KX9 if they settled on their worlds. Normally KX9 just settle on uninhabited worlds. Doesn't really matter how hostile it is when you can just adapt your biology to the shitworld.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

And there's another "why not" for joining the collective. It's hard to isolate oneself from the culture when minds are directly linked, and the culture is one that tends to marginalize outsiders. Though unintentionally and unaggressively, it seems like the KX9 will wind up pressuring everyone to eventually assimilate or die. In a way, it's like Colonialism all over again.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:59:54 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, so I think I've figured out a way for humanity to survive against the KX9's slow assimilation. Basically, they need to assimilate themselves into one being of ultimate power. Said being can then intelligently recreate humanity using DNA banks or what-not. Basically, this universe legitimately requires an Emperor of Mankind to survive.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wouldn't humanity as a whole oppose doing that? They all would lose their individuality to that project. Compared to the KX9, where they at least keep individuality.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Well, not ALL of mankind, just a big chunk of it, a couple millions perhaps.

Basically, a bunch of awesome dudes combine to make awesome incarnate, who will lead Humanity on the path of awesome.
Which would be, you guessed it, awesome.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why would humanity agree though? I can't imagine a million people willing to die to potentially make some random person.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

In the face of assimilation into a collective of living spam-bots, I'd rather have the Emperor of Mankind.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

The main problem is that the KX9 can't really die, yet they still breed. Every birth is another individual that needs resources to exist, and by that alone they will keep taking things from other people. Sure, space is vast, but you can only expand so fast, and as time goes on, the distance to find a new place to live that isn't already occupied becomes greater and greater for existing population centers. Without consideration for others built into their priorities as a whole, I don't see them agreeing to limit their sexual reproduction for others' sake, especially as they might come to see the universe as better off if everyone was KX9.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, not ALL of mankind, just a big chunk of it, a couple millions perhaps.

Basically, a bunch of awesome dudes combine to make awesome incarnate, who will lead Humanity on the path of awesome.
Which would be, you guessed it, awesome.
Exactly. Besides, such a process probably wouldn't work if they didn't all choose to do this.

On a side-note, there are three different assimilation processes that I know of:
1. Borg, where the various people are taken apart and used as raw material and nothing more.
2. Collective, where it's not really people losing their individuality, but rather gaining everyone else.
3. Emprah, which is a kind of combination of both. The people are used as material but the being is a proper representative of their collective minds.

In the face of assimilation into a collective of living spam-bots, I'd rather have the Emperor of Mankind.
+1. I'd happily join up.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Screw that. GIMME A TAIL
Black lives matter.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Screw that. GIMME A TAIL
If you do that, the KX9 will also inevitably mind link you, and the 49 are all too eager to tell you about that penis (or other equivalent) enhancement they want you to get.
And they'll always claim that THEIR enhancement is THE BEST.
You can plug your ears, but not your mind.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

HD, I dooon't think that any beyond the weird ones would jibber like that.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

You don't think I would get such an enhancement of my own volition?
But we should probably not talk about that, lest the Great Toady come.
Black lives matter.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

HD, I dooon't think that any beyond the weird ones would jibber like that.
Well, there's a problem with that. They don't need to, they just need to think it, and it transfers. And how often does a 49 think of that?

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 37