Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60333 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Black lives matter.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do I even exist.... :(
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel the same way when I make mistakes. It's cool, everyone does it, and nobody really cares anyway.
About your mistakes, I mean.
Black lives matter.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

I'm sure we can re-enter stealth if we can evade the attackers, correct?

Wasn't saying it was OP, I just wanted to know how it works. It's pretty cool. How does Excalibur get charged, by the way? Do you soak it in electricity or put alot of nanites in it or what?

Well, I'm not sure to what extent I have control over the rules and mechanics. My intent was that excalibur is only really good for a couple of highly lethal attacks (only expending energy if they connect) before needing to be recharged. The gameplay then revolves around Nivian finding sources of energy, such as reactors or power conduits, and breaking into them to recharge. She's not good for slaughtering masses of troops, but is capable of taking out a high-priority target or two. My main goals are manipulation and support, rather than combat.
Pretty much this. And there are plenty of power conduits that won't have the required charge to power it in any reasonable time. Provided the playstyle of a character is different enough, it'll get approved. Maybe with minor tweaks.

What I was thinking is that Nivian charges up via magnetic fields. So while a wire with AC current has a magnetic field, it doesn't have much inductance and so it's difficult for Nivian to extract power from it. What she's really after is transformers and other devices with high inductance, as well as running motors and electromagnetic radiation (light consists of an electric field inducing a magnetic field, which induces an electric field, and so on iirc). She can basically leech power from a desktop computer's power supply if she gets inside the transformer.

It would take a lot of raw energy to pass through armor, but against an unarmored foe even a few kilojoules can be lethal if the energy can be directed through the heart as an electric current (even 10 microamps can be fatal, according to wikipedia). If my nanites are specialized in producing/manipulating electric/magnetic fields, then I suppose this is reasonable (though you have final word).
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Yes you can reenter stealth should you evade them. However they will be Alert and therefore have a spotting bonus.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Uhm, are you sure it isn't 0,1A? Well, that's generally going through body though. It could be less if it goes through the heart specifically.
Ok, for ease of understanding:

P=U*I
U=R*I
These can be reshaped the same way you solve algebra.

We know the average resistance of a Human body, and I'll use the voltage of my power socket.
I=U/R
I=230V/1KΩ
I=0,23A
Now, this doesn't include other factors such as ΔU (power loss through power transfer medium), or the power of the socket.
But generally, if you use a really good conductor, this could be fatal.
Oh, and when it's over 0,01A, it messes with neural impulses, you can't let go of what you touch.

And this is why there's child safety for power sockets.

As for inductance, any coil should do, even one of those cable spools you see in a construction site.
Inductance is a form of resistance, so having a lot of cable on the spool when using a powerful AC tool, could be a fire hazard.
But transformers is one of the worst options, as it often has an iron core, which shapes the direction of the magnetic field. So you'll have to get inside it.
Then again, it's been a while since i was at school, so I might've forgotten things.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uhm, are you sure it isn't 0,1A? Well, that's generally going through body though. It could be less if it goes through the heart specifically.
Ok, for ease of understanding:

P=U*I
U=R*I
These can be reshaped the same way you solve algebra.

We know the average resistance of a Human body, and I'll use the voltage of my power socket.
I=U/R
I=230V/1KΩ
I=0,23A
Now, this doesn't include other factors such as ΔU (power loss through power transfer medium), or the power of the socket.
But generally, if you use a really good conductor, this could be fatal.
Oh, and when it's over 0,01A, it messes with neural impulses, you can't let go of what you touch.

And this is why there's child safety for power sockets.

As for inductance, any coil should do, even one of those cable spools you see in a construction site.
Inductance is a form of resistance, so having a lot of cable on the spool when using a powerful AC tool, could be a fire hazard.
But transformers is one of the worst options, as it often has an iron core, which shapes the direction of the magnetic field. So you'll have to get inside it.
Then again, it's been a while since i was at school, so I might've forgotten things.

It's hard to get a shock to go through the heart most of the time since you'll have two electrodes at the skin rather than inside the body. If you can make sure the current passes through the heart the lethal current is as low as 10 microamps. Through normal tissue, 10 mA (AC) can cause muscle contractions, 300-500 mA (DC) or 30 mA (AC) can stop your heart. This is all from wikipedia's electrical shock page.

By the way, the human body is not a linear circuit element. The resistance changes under different conditions and voltages.

Connecting a spool of insulated cable to a power source would be a fun way to drain power from the system.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Well, to clarify the spool. It kinda sounds weird to me, so I feel it's not as good as it could be.
At least where I am there's this extension cord thingy which also works to increase the number of sockets. It has 1M (plug) and 4F (sockets).
Though with the whole spool thing inside, it's rather compact. But not everyone knows how to use it correctly. So there's been fires caused by it.
It also sees use in construction sites, where there's few power outlets, and lots of powerful tools.
It's a bit of a problem.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If Nivian were to get shot several times, would those nanobots be permanently destroyed and thus make her smaller/less powerful/decrease her health?

EDIT: GM, is it possible to play a god? By that I mean gain power the more followers they have. Yes it's an anomaly so there'll be a tradeoff but is the base concept sound?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:12:29 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

... what. In my opinion, it could work, but you might be attacked by similar-level entities as a result.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Wouldn't it also make celebrities a threat to you?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If Nivian were to get shot several times, would those nanobots be permanently destroyed and thus make her smaller/less powerful/decrease her health?

If the bullets are fast enough to cause damage then they'd destroy a few, but not a lot. Subsonic rounds would probably not do anything though, since air would push the nanites out of the way.

Nivian only survives for long periods of time by replacing and upgrading nanites using available manufacturing facilities. They can't replicate.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

Nivian only survives for long periods of time by replacing and upgrading nanites using available manufacturing facilities. They can't replicate.
Hm, this brings up a philosophical conundrum. Once all the nanites have been replaced, is she still the same person?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Technically, every eight years or so, the human body has replaced every cell in it, so I would say yes to nanite replacement being like that.
Although people do change a lot in eight years, so this point is moot anyway :P
Black lives matter.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Technically an urban legend. If that were true, then there'd be no such thing as permanent damage. Fact is, most of your neurons last a lifetime (so take care of them!), especially the central nervous system, and you have tissues that aren't entirely cellular, being composed of hard secretions (the mineral lattice of your bones) that can remain largely unchanged throughout your adult life, provided you don't break them. Also, the cells that make up your heart have an extremely slow turnover rate. But your blood, skin, and organs do replace most of themselves over time, though the rates are variable.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37