Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60336 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

I think the brakes would probably have some sort of backup battery precisely for the case where the motors fail.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

No no no, brakes work the other way.
The electromagnet OPENS the lock, allowing movement.
So once the EMP hits, the magnet disabl- *CHUKK* all brakes lock, and you are now trapped in your armor.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No no no, brakes work the other way.
The electromagnet OPENS the lock, allowing movement.
So once the EMP hits, the magnet disabl- *CHUKK* all brakes lock, and you are now trapped in your armor.

EMP only really hits miniaturized electronics. Motors and batteries wouldn't have much trouble since their circuits aren't as sensitive and are much larger.

You'd need an EMP strong enough to fry the inside of your armor with electrical arcs if you wanted to take out the motors themselves rather than the computer. EDIT: At least that is my impression. EMP can stop a car, but that's because modern cars have tons of electronic junk in them.

That's why I'm advocating a low-tech backup system so that the user can manually control the brakes.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:28:36 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Will address issues in last four pages when I get on compy and can properly quote them.

Andres, powered armor does have issues when it runs out of power or has circuitry damaged. Also, no you cannot make your character even more powerful, +8 is about as big a bonus as I'm willing to allow. May even nerf it to +6 since you have weapon improvement. No you would not end up with a plasma gun if you were given a shitty weapon that doesn't work but your character sees as a weapon, at best you would get a low powered welder. Plasma guns don't shoot bolts of plasma, they shoot pellets full of plasma that rupture on impact. Your power does not produce additional mechanical constructs, only improves existing ones. Likely for a +2 bonus at best.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will address issues in last four pages when I get on compy and can properly quote them.

Andres, powered armor does have issues when it runs out of power or has circuitry damaged. Also, no you cannot make your character even more powerful, +8 is about as big a bonus as I'm willing to allow. May even nerf it to +6 since you have weapon improvement. No you would not end up with a plasma gun if you were given a shitty weapon that doesn't work but your character sees as a weapon, at best you would get a low powered welder. Plasma guns don't shoot bolts of plasma, they shoot pellets full of plasma that rupture on impact. Your power does not produce additional mechanical constructs, only improves existing ones. Likely for a +2 bonus at best.

How about plasmoids?

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Ah, so Andres is on the top of allowable power? Good to know.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

This is starting some time in the next few days, correct?
Black lives matter.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about plasmoids?
In a vacuum? Sure. In atmosphere? Nein. Not without existing mechanical structures to enable it.

Ah, so Andres is on the top of allowable power? Good to know.
On top of allowable power with the tradeoffs taken. And max power allowed in combat rolls.

This is starting some time in the next few days, correct?
Correct, likely tomorrow. I'll send out PM's later to people who haven't gotten around to making characters.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:13:10 pm by Kevak »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

Solution for the power armour debate: don't call it such. If it's just a suit of medium armour that requires no power for plain movement, it's just a suit of armour, not power armour. Granted, it has some nifty extra features that do use power, but there is no such thing as an unpowered power armour.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about plasmoids?
In a vacuum? Sure. In atmosphere? Nein. Not without existing mechanical structures to enable it.

I was under the impression it was the other way around. In a vacuum plasma dissipates quickly without an external magnetic field. In an atmosphere you can get ball lighting. Of course, ball lightning is a high-energy phenomenon that requires an external structure (charge difference between ground and clouds), but I figured that atmospheric pressure would help keep the ball intact.

I don't actually know anything about the underlying physics, though. Perhaps atmospheric turbulence would destroy it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Excellent.
the pieces are falling into place... the furry uprising will commence as planned
Black lives matter.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about plasmoids?

I was under the impression it was the other way around. In a vacuum plasma dissipates quickly without an external magnetic field. In an atmosphere you can get ball lighting. Of course, ball lightning is a high-energy phenomenon that requires an external structure (charge difference between ground and clouds), but I figured that atmospheric pressure would help keep the ball intact.

I don't actually know anything about the underlying physics, though. Perhaps atmospheric turbulence would destroy it.
We have plasma right now, railguns can result in it. The reason we don't use plasma weapons is due to high energy requirements and the fact that plasma dissipates very very quickly in an atmosphere. We use plasma for industrial welding but not much else. It stays coherent in space for much longer due to the lack of matter for the heat to dissipate into.

Solution for the power armour debate: don't call it such. If it's just a suit of medium armour that requires no power for plain movement, it's just a suit of armour, not power armour. Granted, it has some nifty extra features that do use power, but there is no such thing as an unpowered power armour.
All power armor has potential faults. All armor in general does. Power armor just tends to have a few extra features at the cost of locking up if you powerdown.

Is it possible to play as someone's dog?

Wait, if planetworms exist, then how come space dragons can't?
Yes.

Planetworms are massive worms that dig down into the mantle to get the momentum to jump out of orbit, drift for a month or two, and smash into another planet. Space dragons have nothing to fly with in space.

Isn't the whole point of power armour that the powered servos allow it to be much heavier than the user could normally wear?
Correct.

Could throwing be considered a weapon?
If we meet a planetworm in space, Pippy needs to make a bigger cut, and momentum would help greatly.
Pippy can't lube herself when she's wearing a space suit, and said space suit would make it even more difficult to get in, due to bulkiness.
No.

Also.. Why would you need to lube a spacesuit? Just shoot the worm with the shipguns.

It only works on things I can identify as a weapon. If you had a normal spine, my augment wouldn't affect it.
But since it's metal, my guy sees it as a sharp metal stick with sharp metal spikes sticking out of it.
But still, with any weapon he'd simply wipe the floor with everyone.
Nah, I'm limiting the bonus to a +2 improvement and the weapon decays as soon as he stops having the weapon synced, lowering its overall effectiveness by -1 per day. So if he has a pistol that grants +1/-1 ranged combat, he can then add +/- 2. Making it a +3/-3 pistol. Now lets say he goes to sleep. Pistol is now a +0/-0 piece of junk that he can't sync with cause it's literally scrap. I'm prolly gonna nerf the mastery bonus to +/-6. Actual damage done is based on what the weapon can do. Mastery is just how well you hit/defend. Also there are limits to what can be identified as a weapon.

It only works on things I can identify as a weapon. If you had a normal spine, my augment wouldn't affect it.
But since it's metal, my guy sees it as a sharp metal stick with sharp metal spikes sticking out of it.
But still, with any weapon he'd simply wipe the floor with everyone.
But he'd also do an insane amount of damage to the ship, if he gets critical successes all the time.
Basically, don't let people board!
Damage is based on weapon, not skill.

What's the point of armor if you kill everyone before they can hurt you?

Just stick with +/-4, the way I see it, it's already ridiculously powerful.

I see the bonuses as follow:
+/-1 = Good.
+/-2 = Great.
+/-3 = It's your job and you had a good teacher.
+/-4 = You're pretty much the best in local space at this.
+/-5 = You're the Bruce Lee of this skill, nobody will ever surpass you in this area, now or ever.

You'd have to do some sort of tradeoff if you want to go +/-5, like a crippling weakness, like kryptonite or something.
He has several crippling mental defects to the point of being unable to function in quite a lot of situations. He's more or less a savant.

Hey, I give fluff, naughty fluff is fluff, so I give that too.

Besides, I'm not the craziest here, that award goes to Kevak (Steam chat gets quite weird).
Hey! You talked about weirder stuff on the steamchat~

Go ahead and add Mathias to the OP. I might yet make some minor changes, but expect nothing dramatic.

Yes, spidersilk is really, really strong for armour. A vest thin enough to wear under clothing could surely block modern anti-personnel bullets, though the blunt force of them would still be felt, spread around a larger area. I hear a 9mm on a kevlar vest feels like a baseball bat. Adding some hard plates to the vest would alleviate the problem, but it would be too encumbering and sketchy for civilian usage..
Will do.

Hey Kevak, I kinda stuffed up the sheet I have on here. Psionites are still in there, stamina bonuses are missing, and there was a spelling error in the backstory. It should all be fixed now.
Will fix. Also prolly will define the abilities a touch better.

*rips out spine with +8 Strength and beats you to death with +8 Spine Mastery*

EDIT: Now that I think about it, +8 Weapon Mastery seems a bit weak. Any chance I can buff it up to +/-12?
You don't have +8 strength. Also +/-8 weapon mastery is OP, nerfing it to +/-6 and making your weapon improvements a +/-2 with daily decay of +/-1 for weapon used upon.

On a d13?!

Actually, this is a perfect opportunity for some fluff.

You do realize how big planetworms are right? They're larger then the empire state building by several hundred times. Hell of a lotta swimming.

Oh, and wouldn't +/-12 guarantee a critsuccess?
Even +6/-6 would, assuming full bonus need not be used. Asking for more is preeeeeeetty ridiculous.
It will have full bonus mandatory, when going + but not when going -, so he can overshoot and injure himself or others unintentionally but can't really fail to hit Something.

Swat fly.

CRITICAL SUCCESS
The fly is swatted and the corpse goes flying, shooting through 3 civilians, a reinforced wall, and the gravity generator.
There's no gravity now.

You've gained: Weapon Mastery: Fly Swatter.
Flies are not weapons. There are going to be reasonable limits.

Is this thing set in the future or just really far from Earth?
Both.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile

If we are talking about the steam chat from last night from what I saw I'm going to have to agree with senpai. I can't really say much though because all I did the entire chat was talk about apple juice. Which had nothing to do with what everyone else was trying to talk about.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Kevak, I'm like 90% certain they were referring to a fly SWATTER with the whole weapons thing.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about plasmoids?

We have plasma right now, railguns can result in it. The reason we don't use plasma weapons is due to high energy requirements and the fact that plasma dissipates very very quickly in an atmosphere. We use plasma for industrial welding but not much else. It stays coherent in space for much longer due to the lack of matter for the heat to dissipate into.

Plasma weapons are just weapons that transfer ridiculous amounts of heat to the opponent. The main reason you'd use plasma because it can be controlled by magnetic fields (and because most matter doesn't not turn into plasma when it stores that much energy). At our current tech level we do not have any practical way to transfer that much heat to our targets from a distance, but the closest we get right now is lasers, not plasma.

You have a point about atmospheric heat transfer, but remember that plasma is like a gas, and in space it expands and cools down very quickly. In atmosphere plasma physics allows us to build hyper-aerodynamic vehicles, so I would guess that a pure plasma projectile could travel pretty fast compared to a dumb projectile, making conductive/radiative heat loss a nonfactor due to the short travel time. A smart projectile like a "plasma missile" could work as a weapon, but at that point you'd be better off using a regular missile with a plasma sheath.

I'm not familiar with how plasma interacts with non-plasma when it travels through air. But if the aircraft example is analogous to a naked plasmoid then I would expect to have pretty fast plasmoid cannons. A plasmoid thruster can almost hit 80 km/s. And just think of how cool the term "Plasmoid Cannon" sounds.

That said, a plasmoid thruster is a large piece of equipment, and maybe the speeds wouldn't scale down to a personnel-carried version. In that case it would be much better suited as a tank mounted weapon. :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:47:30 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37