Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60208 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Pure magic is considered anomalous and will therefore be subject to the tradeoff rule, the specifics can be discussed in PM, psionics are a thing, however said psionics usually come with severe personality disorders and mental problems as a tradeoff, anywhere from psychosis to hallucinations to a complete and utter lack of motivation to do anything at all, as with the few KX9 Genelines that have psionics. They're absurdly powerful, but their motivation is effectively null, it would be difficult to motivate one to even care that somebody is dropping RFG's on it from orbit. It miiiiight start caring if you bribe it with some sort of food, but it also might just not give a fuck.

Demons aren't technically a thing, however a race that appears similar to demons could be. Any magical abilities would require tradeoffs or you would need to be able to argue that tech is available that functions like so and give a reasoning as to how it would fit in setting.

((Well okay, I just wanted to get stereotypes out of the way since its distasteful to go around pretending that all religious people are anti-science (not claiming that you were doing this, just pointing that out).))

Excalibur is technically just an extension of Nivian herself. Her nanites store energy in the form of magnetic fields as they move around and induce currents in each other. They can form electrical sparks to give off heat, so when excalibur is used it's really just Nivian herself releasing stored energy.

As for how the nanites can take that stress, let's say they've been evolved by posthuman intelligences over decades and Nivian found some creative solutions to the problem of nanites being individually small by storing the power in fields and capacitor-like structures maintained by multiple units.

Is this suitable technobabble or should I try harder?
Suitable technobabble if you don't wanna add more but you could prolly do better, nanos are best when they serve specific functions. Too small to have large numbers of functions.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This good? I balanced out the high melee combat skill and the gene mod with practically no equipment and few skills. The name is a shoutout. ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:08:05 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Interested, making character.
also, wow people are posting fast.

Spoiler: Kit (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:06:29 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

((Ok, I'll make a character too.))

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lore (click to show/hide)
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

As you apparently have it thought out already, could you tell a bit more about the setting? Some common knowledge about the structures of various societies as well as the level of technology would be nice. Also, what year is it?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

((Well okay, I just wanted to get stereotypes out of the way since its distasteful to go around pretending that all religious people are anti-science (not claiming that you were doing this, just pointing that out).))

Excalibur is technically just an extension of Nivian herself. Her nanites store energy in the form of magnetic fields as they move around and induce currents in each other. They can form electrical sparks to give off heat, so when excalibur is used it's really just Nivian herself releasing stored energy.

As for how the nanites can take that stress, let's say they've been evolved by posthuman intelligences over decades and Nivian found some creative solutions to the problem of nanites being individually small by storing the power in fields and capacitor-like structures maintained by multiple units.

Suitable technobabble if you don't wanna add more but you could prolly do better, nanos are best when they serve specific functions. Too small to have large numbers of functions.

They only have one function, and that is energy transmission and colection. They can release variable amounts of it though, either to move, produce visible light or radio waves, or burn things outright. They've lost their medical applications over time.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This good? I balanced out the high melee combat skill and the gene mod with practically no equipment and few skills. The name is a shoutout. ;)
You can add equipment and skills. This character lacks any abnormalities that need balancing. I guess I may not have been clearish? There's a general average to multiple notches above aboveaverage that needs no balancing, after that, balancing is required. Odds are is the character had several experimental procedures done by the KX9, that kind of augment is not the kind you could buy. But that's more of a nitpick there. In theory if you traveled far enough in one direction you could find a race willing to sell.

((I've decided to go with my previous character with some alterations, I'll send you a PM containing the edited backstory when I've got time to finish my updated character sheet.))

((Out of curiosity though, where will our characters start?))
On an unnamed space station. Probably Sanctuary, orbiting Nope. Cause HD and I did lorebuilding for the system a while ago and I sorta wanna use it and his character gives me the excuse to use it.

Interested, making character.
also, wow people are posting fast.

Spoiler: Kit (click to show/hide)
Sounds like something the KX9 or Kirvėk would make, accepted~ If the KX9 made it, wouldn't be surprised if there was a Groupmind uplink as another aug, but not necessary.

As you apparently have it thought out already, could you tell a bit more about the setting? Some common knowledge about the structures of various societies as well as the level of technology would be nice. Also, what year is it?
The three dominant civs are the KX9, the Kirvėk, and the Tālshik.

There are several other minor civs, but those don't really matter. All three dominant civs are mid Type 2. Minor civs vary from late Type 0 to late Type 1.

The KX9 are a science and augment driven race, they are an offshoot of humanity, originally a slaverace for a megacorp, they have a cultural hatred for corporate entities. They are the most likely to go Type 3 out of the current known races within the next few hundred years. They use a technological/psionic/biological groupmind for communication, it's a bit blurred as to what it actually is anymore by this point, it used to just be purely tech. The groupmind is mostly stable due to minor tweaks with the implants that make it work, however sometimes someone has a runaway emotion and it sets others off. All KX9 are individuals and the majority are highly specialized cerebrally and biologically to the point that most Genelines have difficulty functioning on their own, however there are some Genelines that more or less function fine on their own. The KX9 have effectively no morality when it comes to science or warfare. These are the kind of people who would genetically engineer Cthulhu, with a psionic madness aura included, and drop him on a populated planet that happens to have a major enemy base. As with most psionically active races, attacking them is very very difficult.

The Kirvėk are insectile, specific form varies dependent on nodetype, in recent years the KX9 and Kirvėk cultures have been merging and mixing, they are also an augment and science driven race, with a similar groupmind to the KX9, although their groupmind has a lessened sense of individuality and focuses around hive node entities. Due to the cultural mixing, a number of Kirvėk have gone KX9 and a number of KX9 have gone Kirvėk. Although for the most part its Kirvėk who go KX9, an increment's increase in individuality is a pretty big temptation for some. They have a similar grade of psionics compared to KX9, although theirs is slightly more functional due to the primary psionic node entities not having as many motivation issues. As with most psionically active races, you can't really attack them. And as with the KX9, Kirvėk gives no fucks when it comes to morality.

The Tālshik are the only Type 2 race that doesn't have a groupmind. Most of them are rugged individualists and highly prize individual skill, they are augment and science driven. As with the other two dominant races they give no fucks about morality. The Tālshik are describable as eight armed anthropomorphic wolfspiders with tentacles jutting out of their backs. They are the first race humanity encountered, and the majority of baseline humanity considers them hideous, given, they consider baseline humanity just as nasty, however oddly, they were the only "friendly" race encountered during the initial expansion phase, they were in a similar expansion phase at the time. The rest of the encountered races early on were batshit insane by either race's standards, so they more or less teamed up and subjugated them. Both Humanity and the Tālshik developed offshoots that went full on science and augment within the first millennia of spacefairing. The Tālshik are the only Type 2 race that is not psionically active, making up for it by sheer unkillableness. They aren't really something you can attack.

As it is, the Type 2 races are more or less trying to economically out maneuver each other, the KX9 and Kirvėk in the lead due to their slow merging, given time, they will become one and eventually culturally dominate the Tālshik, although that's not for at least another thousand or so years.. Most of the galaxy has been explored, and dyson spheres, among other constructs are relatively common in systems owned by major races. Most minor races function as vassals to the major races, although there isn't all that much to pay do to the whole post scarcity thing major races have, materials income is faster then the science and infrastructure to utilize it advances.

Pirates are relatively common, preying on ships of minor races an steering clear of major races, the main wealth is in ships. Capturing a ship is much more difficult but much more valuable then looting a wreck. Most cargo is fragile, and the impacts from weapons usually destroy anything valuable. Some pirates gather large enough fleets to take over small groups of starsystems, Steelbeard is a good example of one such Pirate Lord, although he isn't really much of a pirate anymore on account of having to deal with taking care of several systems worth of people.

The year is 6146 AD. And the galaxy is a much weirder place then humanity could have possibly anticipated.

They only have one function, and that is energy transmission and colection. They can release variable amounts of it though, either to move, produce visible light or radio waves, or burn things outright. They've lost their medical applications over time.
Makes sense.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Hmm...
A question. How does the trade-off rule even work?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In this whole "type 3" race, couldn't the loser theoretically just go intergalactic if they really hate the other? How does the FTL work? Are there dyson spheres around high luminosity variable stars or are they mostly build around dimmer, less dangerous stars?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm...
A question. How does the trade-off rule even work?
Basically: If you could feasibly cause a local civilization ending event on any given semi militaristic planet by yourself, you're OP and you need a counter. Whatever the counter is can be discussed in PM.

((Ok, I'll make a character too.))

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lore (click to show/hide)
Missed this, accepted.

In this whole "type 3" race, couldn't the loser theoretically just go intergalactic if they really hate the other? How does the FTL work? Are there dyson spheres around high luminosity variable stars or are they mostly build around dimmer, less dangerous stars?
Technically a Type 2 could go intergalactic and leave. Or even a late Type 1. However as most "war" is more of cultural and economic outmaneuvering rather than combat, it's a bit hard to hate the other major races. The loser doesn't technically lose when it simply ends up being part of the winning race. The Tālshik would likely have a split when that happened, where some go and fuck off to another galaxy while the majority just joins the KX9/Kirvėk Union.

As for dyson spheres, it depends on the race. Although on average they build them around the least likely one to potentially result in wasted materials whilst still being a worthwhile expense. So mostly close to the middle of the scale between dim and bright but leaning towards dim.

FTL depends on the race. The psionically active races have their own pocket dimensions they use for transit, normally you need another of the race in the destination area if a Navform or Navnode hasn't been there before, said dimensions are usually discovered by the time a race goes mid Type 1. The nonpsionically actives have some grade of disadvantage early on, but eventually gain a slight advantage when they start being able to make as much exotic matter as they want, as they put more research into ftl systems. Stable wormholes, slipdrives, and some forms of hyperdrive are common, warp drives exist but are illegal due to the potential damage they can cause. The starting ship will be using a slipdrive. As that is the only tech based drive that can fit on such a small ship, even though the ship is technically pretty damn massive.

By the way, erryone who has no further changes to their sheets to make, let me know and I'll put the sheet in the OP/sheet area.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:33:33 pm by Kevak »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The main reason I asked about the dyson spheres is because some stars are pretty darn bright and tend to be ejecting shells of high velocity material. I feel like constructing a sphere around those would be a trenendous undertaking, so there would still be a sense of technological progress in the universe. Universes where everything is solved tend to be boring.

If you accepted my sheet I'm basically finished since my character doesn't usually carry items around. They interfere with the noclip. If you don't reccomend going without items/equipment I could amp up the power level, but I intend most of my character's power to be focused in drones/constructs rather than herself.

I think the shapeshifting is pretty strong on its own though. Are you okay with me splitting up my nanites to create doppelgangers/illusions with no real strength?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:46:00 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: New Furry, Ho! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Furry Lore (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:10:36 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Trying to come up with a good character concept and failing ;-;
Andres referencing DBZ has sapped all original thought from my brain.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If ya want help, pretty sure I have you on steam if you feel like chatting.

Spoiler: New Furry, Ho! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Furry Lore (click to show/hide)

Accepted, we already sorta talked about it~ Will add to main thing if you have no further additions. The MMI is basically what lets KX9 control the legions of drones that faff around any KX9 planet or system, some KX9 Genelines are more adapt at control than others.

The main reason I asked about the dyson spheres is because some stars are pretty darn bright and tend to be ejecting shells of high velocity material. I feel like constructing a sphere around those would be a trenendous undertaking, so there would still be a sense of technological progress in the universe. Universes where everything is solved tend to be boring.

If you accepted my sheet I'm basically finished since my character doesn't usually carry items around. They interfere with the noclip. If you don't reccomend going without items/equipment I could amp up the power level, but I intend most of my character's power to be focused in drones/constructs rather than herself.

I think the shapeshifting is pretty strong on its own though. Are you okay with me splitting up my nanites to create doppelgangers/illusions with no real strength?
Universes where everything is solved are boring. Very much so.

Your sheet is good. And yes I'm okay with other nanite swarms, so long as there is an abstract size limit for the total mass of the nanites, KX9 22's for example have the abstract size limit of about as large as a horse, they cannot get larger and the one time the KX9 removed the limit, it resulted in a planet being rendered barren.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

((There are advantages to re-using old characters, I generally only make new ones a couple times a year at most. though my standing roster is pretty huge. Even here, this is Kit's third game.

if you want, I'll pass you one:
Spoiler: Erin (click to show/hide)
naturally, such a character requires adapting to the current game's world, but it's a start.

to GM:

@ group-mind link - I was thinking Kit would be the result of an experiment, and that a groupmind linkup would be considered unsafe to have in a prototype hivenode (am I using that term right? would Kit qualify as such?), as well as invalidating part of the experiment due to contaminating the hivenode with groupmind content. I would however, now that I know that psionics are prevalent, like to add a generic psionics augment, one intended for flexibility and training the user in the use of psionics as a whole. kinda a generic "do-all" psionic chip that doesn't do anything in particular very well, but can handle most tasks given enough time and effort. added to see how well the kitten hivenode could handle such a thing.

oh, and she is still kittens by the way, her aging process has been slowed down to avoid having the experiment end before enough data had been gathered, but even so she is still very young. I'm going to be counting on you to explain how she runs into the rest of the cast, and her being a stowaway or escapee or whatever is perfectly fine with me.

is all that ok?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37