Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60200 times)

blazing glory

Ninja'd

It's an SCP term

Silent, Ludicrously Competent, Mysterious, Hard-to-kill Bounty Hunter, who's raison-d'etre is pretty much to be the obligatory Silent, Ludicrously Competent, Mysterious, Hard-to-kill Bounty Hunter of a space adventure?
We've already gone over this. H is fine.

He's Euclid at worst.
What's H?
That's Hugo's character from the previous reboot.
Pink semi-morphous blob capable of turning people into sentient candy?
Nigh-omnipotent purple cat person?
Space Australian?
I'm feeling a tad put off.

Just a tad.
Why?
So far it's being a guessing game of trying to find out what overly silly/ridiculous stuff you can get away with.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

You're pirates.

In a galaxy that is more or less dominated by post singularity transhumanist pseudofurries with a tendency to act like the borg if the borg were morman missionaries with very very good benefits.

Of course it's going to be silly~

blazing glory

You're pirates.

In a galaxy that is more or less dominated by post singularity transhumanist pseudofurries with a tendency to act like the borg if the borg were morman missionaries with very very good benefits.

Of course it's going to be silly~
Well I did say overly silly.

I'm just hoping people aren't going to do tea drinking space worms with British accents or the like.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If there isn't a tea drinking space worm with a british accent, I'm going to provide an npc to fill that specific niche.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Obviously, the only logical rivals would be post singularity transhumanist Scientologists.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, scientology was abandoned lorewise, as with much of religion as soon as humanity encountered another sapient race. Said race happened to be giant sapient spiders with tentacles. Established religion faltered pretty fast when the question of "Why would god even make that?!" came up. The religions that didn't focus on single gods or deities at all faired considerably better though.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I think organized religion would be hardier than you think. In particular, monotheism is adept at adapting to new times, increasingly dropping the strange bits of lore (since those are rather easy to disprove) in favor of focusing on the loftier philosophical concepts. Aside from the well-known fundies, extremists, etc. Christianity (perhaps ironically) has a track record of evolving to mesh with changing scientific understanding. Like anything, religions must adapt or go extinct. But, it's your setting vOv

Guess the space pope and his space-faring Swiss pontifical guard will have to live on in another adventure :P
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Space pope switched to space Buddhism.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

((Crap... 17 replies since I started the post.))

So how will this work? Do you just have a lot of free time on your hands or are you going to choose later on? I'm not familiar with R2SP.

Regardless, here's an idea I had. Is it okay for a character to be a sapient cloud of nanites possessed by an AI/human echo/thing?

Spoiler: Nivian (click to show/hide)

Nah, scientology was abandoned lorewise, as with much of religion as soon as humanity encountered another sapient race. Said race happened to be giant sapient spiders with tentacles. Established religion faltered pretty fast when the question of "Why would god even make that?!" came up. The religions that didn't focus on single gods or deities at all faired considerably better though.

I don't see why modern religions would have any problem with discovering aliens. The Catholic Church is the world's oldest institution (okay, maybe the Orthodox church is, I don't know), and it has survived every breakthrough in scientific understanding for the past two millennia. I'm no Catholic, but I find there is a disappointing lack of Space Catholics in my Space Pirate Fiction.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:22:27 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reserved.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lorewise, monotheistic religion was already sorta falling apart before first contact, and first contact just happened to be the event that drove most monotheistic religions out of business. The ones that had multiple deities or no deities faired better.))

I have a fuckload of spare time on my hands.

Technically that isn't possession, and therefore isn't an abnormal object. So yes, that works. The Many from the previous R2SP was effectively a nanite swarm as well. So a sapient cloud of nanites is perfectly fine. Cave Johnson however would like to remind you that in the event of sapient clouds [transmission garbled]

Technological things aren't abnormal in this verse, perhaps they would be in the past, but most certainly not anymore. Things science cannot explain even with effort, like lets saaaay, spacepope being able to shoot lasers from a wooden cross, would be considered abnormal.

You should prolly explain Excalibur however. I can't see how a dispersed swarm of nanites could carry the levels of energy proposed.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there magic? Are there demons? Space demons?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Any sufficiently advanced tech looks like magic... As for daemons, wouldn't that depend on your view of what constitutes one?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any sufficiently advanced tech looks like magic... As for daemons, wouldn't that depend on your view of what constitutes one?
Magical demons.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

((Well okay, I just wanted to get stereotypes out of the way since its distasteful to go around pretending that all religious people are anti-science (not claiming that you were doing this, just pointing that out).))

Excalibur is technically just an extension of Nivian herself. Her nanites store energy in the form of magnetic fields as they move around and induce currents in each other. They can form electrical sparks to give off heat, so when excalibur is used it's really just Nivian herself releasing stored energy.

As for how the nanites can take that stress, let's say they've been evolved by posthuman intelligences over decades and Nivian found some creative solutions to the problem of nanites being individually small by storing the power in fields and capacitor-like structures maintained by multiple units.

Is this suitable technobabble or should I try harder?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37