Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60295 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

>:0
SCIENCE HAS LIED TO ME
Black lives matter.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

The whole "are we still the same person" thing is pretty much a philosophical question.
We don't know if the present "I" only lasts as long as a neural impulse and we're kept going by consistent "I"s that act roughly the same as the previous "I"s (mood changes/swings).
So basically, don't bother with the question, you can never hope to get a 100% correct answer.

As for replacing, considering Humans can be created inside other Humans, we should technically be able to recreate ourselves, we just need some adjustment.
Heck, it'd be awesome if we could just regrow our teeth, that way we could just yank out the teeth with holes in them and let new ones grow.

My head hurts, it's not made for philosophy.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

It's only really a problem if you have a flawed conception of what it means to be a person.

People aren't their matter. Otherwise a corpse would still be a person. So it's obvious that a person is not identical to the matter that makes him up.
People aren't a form either, because if you make an exact copy of a person with a copy of their form, it creates a second person distinct from the original. So it's obvious that a person is not identical to the form his matter has. If you duplicate an AI, you get two independent AI's. So an AI is not equivalent to its programming (unless AI's aren't persons).

Aristotelians have the term substance to refer to things that are basically forms with matter.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

AI are people.

Also not gonna update till bay12 stops 504ing, would rather not lose posts/make fifteen posts on accident.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

Just for fun, my answer to the conundrum. The original conundrum uses Odysseus' (might've been some other ancient Greek hero) ship having its boards and other parts replaced one by one between his adventures, until no original ones remain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then we get to the second part of the conundrum: if you build a ship (or AI nanocloud) from the parts displaced, is it still the same ship? Can both of the ships be the 'real' one? I believe my thoughts above answer this question as well.

So basically, don't bother with the question, you can never hope to get a 100% correct answer.
Philosophy isn't necessarily about 'correct' answers. An 80% correct answer can still teach one many things.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:09:56 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

Exactly, I like concrete stuff, but philosophy kinda throws "Cogito ergo sum" out the window. So I can't be certain of anything when philosophy is involved.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aristotelians have the term substance to refer to things that are basically forms with matter.
Aristotle was an idiot. Take everything he said with a grain of salt at best.

AI are people.

Also not gonna update till bay12 stops 504ing, would rather not lose posts/make fifteen posts on accident.
Just post. If it 504s after you post, it means you posted. Don't resubmit the form or anything - it's fine. Also, copy all posts before you post them in case of accidents.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aristotle was an idiot. Take everything he said with a grain of salt at best.

Modern Aristotelians don't follow Aristotle. It's a branch of philosophy that started with Aristotle.

AI are people.

People use AI to refer to both intelligent and non-intelligent entities.

Just for fun, my answer to the conundrum. The original conundrum uses Odysseus' (might've been some other ancient Greek hero) ship having its boards and other parts replaced one by one between his adventures, until no original ones remain.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then we get to the second part of the conundrum: if you build a ship (or AI nanocloud) from the parts displaced, is it still the same ship? Can both of the ships be the 'real' one? I believe my thoughts above answer this question as well.

Nobody should really care if it's "the" ship because ships don't have any form of self-identity. In that case I agree with you. But the analogy doesn't hold for self-aware beings. Ships don't think or feel. Humans think and are conscious. Animals are conscious.

A machine that macerates puppies and prints out exact copies of the originals would still be animal abuse. It doesn't matter if the ends justify the means, the means still involve hopelessly tearing apart animals.

Philosophy isn't necessarily about 'correct' answers. An 80% correct answer can still teach one many things.

The last 20% could still be useful. You don't know if it's unimportant or not until someone discovers it.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

VI are non intelligent entities. A Cat is akin to a VI. AI are self aware entities. A human is akin to an AI.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

VI are non intelligent entities. A Cat is akin to a VI. AI are self aware entities. A human is akin to an AI.

Are you trying to argue something or are you describing the terms used in-universe? Because I'm just saying that people use the term AI liberally.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:23:28 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

Richard would like to disagree :P
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you trying to argue something or are you describing the terms used in-universe? Because I'm just saying that people use the term AI liberally.
I'm stating the literal definitions. People do use AI liberally, however there are scientific definitions for both.

Also using that format in universe~

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Kit may cause some legal battles by accident then.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kit is a hivemind, technically not a single cat.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

yes, but by proving that cats - when linked - are self aware intelligent entities. it puts the legal status of non-hive cats in question. what about if someone links two cats together? did they just give birth to a new cathive? are they legally responsible for their child?

what about kit herself? Is she a child and valid for child abuse laws? since she is made of non-intelligent entities, does she have rights at all?

seriously, the legal and moral implications of Kit could actually cause major trouble.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37