Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: XCOM on Forums: OOC thread. FULL ROSTER! (Waitlist open)  (Read 30973 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM on Forums: OOC thread. One spot left! (24/25)
« Reply #450 on: July 02, 2015, 09:02:25 pm »

LoS does not penetrate full cover (trees), but it can see past half cover (rocks, fences). You cannot fire upon a target not in your LoS.
...Sheb, I could ask you to reconsider, but its that situation yet again...with the 'Aw great, just 1 MOV to cover!?'. Just like XCOM. xD
Unless...that sight range IS Sheb's, which upon rechecking seems very much like it. So I'll assume it is! Good choice now that I see that.

Thankies for the answer. c:
Those aliens are going down![/overconfident]

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 03, 2015, 01:01:15 am »

I should probably also emphasize that when you are taking cover, you are sometimes considered to be in up to 3 tiles at once -- to the left and right of your position, assuming nothing is blocking you, as well as the space you're actually occupying. This is the space your soldier steps into when firing at enemies from behind a wall or other piece of cover.

Let me try to straighten this out for you a bit. If a unit that uses cover, such as an Outsider or XCOM soldier, uses a single piece of heavy cover, they are able to 'lean out' to either side of said cover. The practical upshot of this is that any enemy that has LoS to the spaces said unit can lean out to can shoot that unit.

Now, if it's a unit that does not use cover -- like, for example, an XCOM SHIV robot -- then the unit will not occupy those 'lean-out' tiles, and thus cannot be shot behind the heavy cover until enemies move around sufficiently to draw an angle on the SHIV that isn't blocked. In XCOM, this lets your SHIVs and even MECs be super-stealthy, since they can sidle up right on the edge of heavy cover and not be at risk of 'stepping out' and activating enemies on the other side, or exposing themselves to fire. It's even possible to have a MEC park itself in front of a friendly SHIV or MEC, then use its One for All ability (which turns the MEC into heavy cover) to prevent enemies from being able to shoot the unit behind it. This can work out really well when you've got a Goliath-class MEC to act as a wall and tank all the fire that would have slagged your much squishier robotic units.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 03, 2015, 01:12:34 am »

Oho, interesting that :)
I've been wondering how the visibility works and if such forest/rock tiles are non-traversable in themselves but act as cover-obstacles towards any unit on the opposite side.

At least here, there's already an explicit "Aiming Angles" mechanic given the 90 degree gameplay in tiles, simplified that 45 degrees makes the most of said cover. :P

Could ya draw a map, Xvar? Or a simple diagram? I'm a bit lost in searching how the map works (ie Forest/Rock tiles being actually traversible) because I'm thinking of this from a FEF transplanted mindset (that you need to move onto the tile for the 'cover' to work; what I understood there is even being adjacent to the tile gives cover bonus from a certain direction)

...The day we'll rue floater teleport strikes given that the GM is better than XCOM (Impossible) AI. They still seriously make silliness even at that stage, from personal experience. :P

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 03, 2015, 01:35:50 am »

Could ya draw a map, Xvar? Or a simple diagram?
http://ufopaedia.org/images/b/b3/Cover.png (click on the picture/diagram to zoom in)

Credit to the makers of the game for putting up that diagram back in page 5 of this thread.

Quote from: LoS
-It's 10 tiles long.
-It's determined with a straight line from the center of your position and the center of the target tile. If it crosses a blue border (full cover) the LoS is blocked.
-If you're standing behind a full cover corner LoS is determined as sidestepping (for example Jane's LoS is determined from Q13 as if she sidestepped from Q12).
-Enemies also sidestep from full cover, if you have LoS to their sidestep position the you can fire on them.

Also, one last tidbit -- you CAN move through your own teammates' tiles when moving, but you can't move through enemies, and you can't occupy the same tile that someone else is.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 03, 2015, 01:45:04 am »

Could ya draw a map, Xvar? Or a simple diagram?
http://ufopaedia.org/images/b/b3/Cover.png (click on the picture/diagram to zoom in)

Credit to the makers of the game for putting up that diagram back in page 5 of this thread.

Quote from: LoS
-It's 10 tiles long.
-It's determined with a straight line from the center of your position and the center of the target tile. If it crosses a blue border (full cover) the LoS is blocked.
-If you're standing behind a full cover corner LoS is determined as sidestepping (for example Jane's LoS is determined from Q13 as if she sidestepped from Q12).
-Enemies also sidestep from full cover, if you have LoS to their sidestep position the you can fire on them.

Also, one last tidbit -- you CAN move through your own teammates' tiles when moving, but you can't move through enemies, and you can't occupy the same tile that someone else is.
So its like FEF, but the cover is much like XCOM. Thanks!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 05, 2015, 10:24:34 am »

Quote from: Tiruin
[color="cornflowerblue"]
Now that's creativity.
Where do you take those from girl?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 05, 2015, 11:35:14 am »

Quote from: Tiruin
[color="cornflowerblue"]
Now that's creativity.
Where do you take those from girl?
Well :3
Before I discovered the wonderful world of bbcode//HEXcode colors (which sometimes I had to interpret literally, and sometimes I had to use code [but then I got tired of it and instead defaulted to colors you can name like turquoise, indigo and chocolate...the last of which should be brown :P )...I just worked from scratch and trying-to-be-creative creativity.

It was only later on did I discover (thanks to SeriousConcentrate [resident free-artist and friend]) about the HEX code...which works just as well as the bbcode. But here's the story behind how I discovered that one color you ask! :D

I had one single thought. It all started back in one of my first RtDs...wherein I was a total newbie in all this and looked at the RtDs of the time and wondered 'oh, colored text for words? *checks color list* Man where's the originality in colors...I would like my sheet to be nice...I guess? I wonder what's a good forest color [also I got forest green but that didn't check out well x3]*
Then began mixing up colors until I got Yellow Green. Cornflowerblue, as far as I know, was my next color after learning about the different colors in art classes, as well as studying the color coding. The first user of this color was Yoink from searchengine results (meaning the word searched is a FORMAT word and can't directly be displayed, but it shows the post.). Coincidentally, used 2 days later x3 I thought I was the first one.

Basically--the use of colored words was like a VERY attractive thing to me before I started RtDs. Explicitly used by SC, Dwarmin and DigitalHellhound--they are among the first GMs who have attracted me to RtDs because of how they used color combinations in displaying player/game sheets, attributes, details or data. It was magnificent.
Check the game turns of one of DH's RtDs. See the color coding used to indicate stuff.

Search engine [+ filters] + color code = usage.

Incidentally, all that tinkering with formatting was used in my RtD itself...what with all the colors used (the Spoiler-effect, akin to a 'sliding' manner was grabbed from Evil Lincoln as seen in his ISG games, with credit to him via B12 PMs. (though...I'm TOTALLY unsure if he ever got my PM since the PM in question is both not in my outbox nor has it been replied to; but I have in memory believed that I sent him a message ._.).
Gone off a tangent there. Will wrap this up.

But tl;dr: First linkie is a nice place to take it from.
Where I actually took that color from was fun-with-thoughts-and-colors-and-experimenting-and-oooh-look-at-this-nice-color!

Also there are threads strewn around the forums asking about the forum colors. Buried under all the other threads. ;3
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:05:46 pm by Tiruin »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 05, 2015, 08:45:37 pm »

Colorful post.
I only go for the colors in the color list, failing that, hex code. But hey, never thought there were so much named colors!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 06, 2015, 08:28:43 am »

It's all about that Northern Green.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2015, 01:36:08 pm »

Since Glowcat appears to be missing someone move for her and I will do turn tomorrow.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 06, 2015, 10:50:39 pm »

EDIT: Post removed
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2015, 02:07:15 pm »

H.7!
Inadvisable, Haspen. If you activate any aliens by moving to that rock, your squadmates will not be able to support you because there's only one other cover position that anyone could actually fight from realistically. It'd be a better idea to wait until you see what's through the trees up top, and establish good sight lanes and a place to fall back to before spreading out. There looks to be more heavy cover up ahead starting at N4-N6, anyway, whilst everything else is either exposed or in half cover fencing.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 07, 2015, 02:33:31 pm »

Also, you should decide now if you're going to clear the trees first before headed south.  It's probably a good idea to do just that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 07, 2015, 02:38:42 pm »

Note: I'm going on vacation tomorrow and updates may not be possible during the next 10 days.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 07, 2015, 02:39:14 pm »

Fine move scritched out v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32