Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Forum Move Begins June 14th  (Read 28278 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Move Begins June 14th
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

Hmm, how long EXACTLY will it take from the old forum being closed for new posts to the new one working? is there any way to minimize that time? I don't think I could SURVIVE several days without BotG and all the other awesome things on these forums.  :confused:
Or maybe there is no reason to be worried at all and it will take 3 hours or something...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

You can try playing DF in the meantime.  I hear it's a rather effective time killer.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

Good idea.
*hides in shame  :( *

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »

Failing that, there is an official IRC channel, which I should visit someday.

Being around for this upgrade makes me feel like a part of Internet history. When DF is ultra-popular and Bay 12 Games is an actual business with actual staff, we'll be able to laugh at the new players and talk/reminisce/whine about the old days.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

Don't we already do that?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

It could very well take a while.  I have no idea how long the moves from the 2nd to the 3rd and the 3rd to the 4th will take, but the move from the 1st to the 2nd forum only moves 100 or so post at a time, and it has to do that many, many times, with each pass taking maybe 5-10 seconds.  Even if it goes smoothly, it'll probably take all day, and I don't expect this whole process to be hassle-free.  For instance, my host could get pissed and throttle my actions after I've been hogging their resources with all the copying.  I have no idea.  If UBB lets me customize the board closure message, I can post updates there throughout the many months or years of closure.  My hope was to be through the process after burning a weekend on it, but it might take longer than that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
<STRONG>
The only real differences are the board activity icons and top DF logo.
</STRONG>

Speaking of logo. With the amount of artrelated threads and the quality of their work, would this be a good time for a logo competition and change?

quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
<STRONG>
Based on the plan of keeping it slim and easy to update, I don't really plan to change anything which would require more than CSS modifications or different images. While a fair bit of the design can be changed via CSS, there's quite a lot that can't be.
Of course, Toady might well decide to make further changes himself.

With all of that in mind, feel free to offer feedback.</STRONG>

I'm a bit worried about the readability on the "list of threads"-view. The textcolour(#E0D090) isn't an easy read on the lightgrey background. The colour in combination with the remaining pagecolours also brings about a desaturated grey feel to the page, something a more colourful text could fix.

There seems to be very little practical difference between the a:link and a:visited colours. While indeed dissimilar, at the textsize and thickness it's hard to distinguish visited threads. (see image)

It would be nice if the "new"-icon would be aligned to either the left or the right of a topic-cell rather than at the end of the text. I realize this isn't part of the current CSS bit, but the current placement feels very chaotic. It's stealing attention while beeing hard to keep track of.

The Darklingtheme threadview:

A quick mockup with small nostalgic changes:

The changes makes it easier to read while providing more ordered information in my opinion. However, the exact colours could probably need some work. It's a bit too easy for your eyes' first focus to be the lightercoloured "thread poster"-collumn rather than the actual threads with this colourscheme mockup.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>...If UBB lets me customize the board closure message, I can post updates there throughout the many months or years of closure...</STRONG>

Ah, the Toady One wit. I'm sure that he was probably maybe joking.
I mean, it's obvious that it will take decades.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

Oh, please. I predict Toady's grand plan will hit a snag somewhere, ruining the forums and making us abandon them. Of course the files will still be there for brave Internet adventurers to pick through and attempt to retrieve the best posts.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Merlon:
<STRONG>Speaking of logo. With the amount of artrelated threads and the quality of their work, would this be a good time for a logo competition and change?
</STRONG>

That's of course entirely up to Toady.
On that subject though, I played around with the current logo for the theme and erased the background to try to make it blend in. I think it turned out decently:

quote:
Originally posted by Merlon:
<STRONG>
I'm a bit worried about the readability on the "list of threads"-view. The textcolour(#E0D090) isn't an easy read on the lightgrey background. The colour in combination with the remaining pagecolours also brings about a desaturated grey feel to the page, something a more colourful text could fix.

There seems to be very little practical difference between the a:link and a:visited colours. While indeed dissimilar, at the textsize and thickness it's hard to distinguish visited threads. (see image)

It would be nice if the "new"-icon would be aligned to either the left or the right of a topic-cell rather than at the end of the text. I realize this isn't part of the current CSS bit, but the current placement feels very chaotic. It's stealing attention while beeing hard to keep track of.
</STRONG>

It seemed quite readable to me, but I see where you're coming from. I also think the yellow and orange used in your example are a bit too strong, but on the right track.
I've modified the colors so that the light background is now a bit darker, links are more yellow, and visited links are darker and more orange.
I prefer the background colors as they are rather than being reversed.

Properly moving the "New" indicator to the left or right side would indeed take more than a CSS change. However, I managed a nifty bit of a hack through CSS to make it float to the left after all. It's not consistent in appearance between browsers (to the left of the text in some, just below it in others), but it does actually accomplish the intended goal in IE7, Firefox, Safari, and Opera. The method used is a bit obscure and not supported by older browsers, but they would just ignore that CSS and show it in the text as normal with no problems.
I like the "New" indicator being on the left where it's easily spotted myself as well.

Anyway, the changes are in place for the Darkling theme over at the TaleWorlds forum if you want to see them.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

Only hours remain here. Soon, these forums shall vanish from the earth, nay from all of existence, and there shall only be Armok, Toady One, and Three Toe; The destroyer, the creator, and the scribe. And there shall be a new dawn in the next era, with newer and better software for all.

Let loose the Trolls of the Apocalypse! Come ye; Moin, and Garry, and kind!

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2008, 12:27:00 am »

What was that song now?

"It's the end of the world as we know it, it's the end, of the world as we know it, but I feel fine..."

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>Only hours remain here. Soon, these forums shall vanish from the earth, nay from all of existence, and there shall only be Armok, Toady One, and Three Toe; The destroyer, the creator, and the scribe. And there shall be a new dawn in the next era, with newer and better software for all.

Let loose the Trolls of the Apocalypse! Come ye; Moin, and Garry, and kind!</STRONG>

I use Epic Manipulation: "When the universe ends, I want to be the first one back when it restarts."
~Dan Rubin, Scion RPG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2008, 02:58:00 am »

"It's the End of the World As We Know It", by REM.  

Personally, I was thinking of "Break On Through" by The Doors.

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2008, 03:32:00 am »

Finally this archaic forum will be struck down... I just hope I don't get unregistered during this process.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7