Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Forum Move Begins June 14th  (Read 28276 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Move Begins June 14th
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

quote:
It would then look odd in that it didn't line up with the rest of the page.

How about centering it? Or cut the Pic in 3 Parts and make a table with 3 "td"s. in the outer Tds you laod the left and the right edges of the pic and let them stretch a little. In the middle is all the Part of the Pic with the Title.

... Ahm well please excuse that im speaking a little Html in this Post.

[ June 08, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 04:43:00 am »

Argh! Someone...still using.... tables for layout.....

Must... resist.... hulking out!

RWWWWAAAAARGH! HULK SMASH, REPLACE WITH CSS!

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 05:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Someone...still using.... tables for layout.....</STRONG>
lol
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>Argh! Someone...still using.... tables for layout.....

Must... resist.... hulking out!

RWWWWAAAAARGH! HULK SMASH, REPLACE WITH CSS!</STRONG>

Well, if you want the layout to look the same in Firefox and Internet Explorer...

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

Toady-- If you need help with the SMF forum, let me know. I do a good measure of work on SMF (not a developer, but a pretty dedicated modder) and would be happy to help out. Just PM me.

Janus-- I think I have such a mod hiding somewhere on my hard drive. I'll look.

[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: Blacken ]

"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Markham:
<STRONG>Well, if you want the layout to look the same in Firefox and Internet Explorer...</STRONG>

Your CSS-Fu is weak then  ;) It can be an arse to do, granted, but I've certainly done it plenty of times. Haven't for a while, though, and knowing Microsoft, they've probably changed everything. Again.

It's all about exploiting the box model and nesting. The browsers may do the same things differently, but if you plan ahead, they usually don't care if you do the same thing twice  ;)

4 days to go, people! Last chance to repent!

The forum is dead! Long live the forum!

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2008, 07:52:00 am »

I like the use of colour to separate the elements. Makes it easy to read.

I'm a bit worried by the amount of vertical space used by that skin however. Feels a bit bloated because of it and might lead to excessive scrolling once a couple sticky topics are introduced on top of each forumlist. This problem is quite evident on the Taleworlds forums, see the general discussion for instance, as scrolling is required after only 2-3 real topics on an average screen resolution.

Again, comparing to Taleworlds, has the padding on the forum headlines been increased? Looks slightly larger?

May I suggest you remove the bar just below the forum logo? It doesn't appear to have much purpose that couldn't easily be put somewhere else. The time&date could then be moved to the black portion to the right of the menubuttons. This would put it at higher contrast and make it easier to read while moving it closer to the time&date on the actual threads for faster comparison.

Is it possible to keep the linktree like the one the DF forums already have? To me at least, the current one feels more intuitive than the one on Taleworlds. It's also more compact. (The bit that goes Bay 12 Games Forum » DF Announcements » Forum Move Begins June 14th)

An always visible quicksearch inputfield could be useful. It will likely encourage brief searches rather than skipping directly ahead to making a repeated thread.

Sorry if this came out a bit negative. I'm sure you're putting a lot of thought and effort into this forummove. Looking forward to seeing the endresults.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Three days 'till doomsday.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Blacken:
<STRONG>Toady-- If you need help with the SMF forum, let me know. I do a good measure of work on SMF (not a developer, but a pretty dedicated modder) and would be happy to help out. Just PM me.

Janus-- I think I have such a mod hiding somewhere on my hard drive. I'll look.</STRONG>

Sounds good. Nice to see another experienced SMF modder around.
If you don't have a mod like that, no worries. It shouldn't take long to make it.

quote:
Originally posted by Merlon:
<STRONG>I'm a bit worried by the amount of vertical space used by that skin however. Feels a bit bloated because of it and might lead to excessive scrolling once a couple sticky topics are introduced on top of each forumlist. This problem is quite evident on the Taleworlds forums, see the general discussion for instance, as scrolling is required after only 2-3 real topics on an average screen resolution.

Again, comparing to Taleworlds, has the padding on the forum headlines been increased? Looks slightly larger?
</STRONG>

This skin is based directly of of the core Default theme for SMF, and currently limited to CSS and graphic changes. It's done that way for the highest compatibility with mod packages which change the default theme, and maximum future proofing. This was one of my main goals for it.
So, you're better off comparing it to the Default SMF theme.
And no, the padding hasn't been increased.

quote:
<STRONG>May I suggest you remove the bar just below the forum logo? It doesn't appear to have much purpose that couldn't easily be put somewhere else. The time&date could then be moved to the black portion to the right of the menubuttons. This would put it at higher contrast and make it easier to read while moving it closer to the time&date on the actual threads for faster comparison.

An always visible quicksearch inputfield could be useful. It will likely encourage brief searches rather than skipping directly ahead to making a repeated thread.
</STRONG>

As stated, part of the header (which in fact includes the search bar) is minimized in that picture by the +/- to the left of it.

quote:
<STRONG>Is it possible to keep the linktree like the one the DF forums already have? To me at least, the current one feels more intuitive than the one on Taleworlds. It's also more compact. (The bit that goes Bay 12 Games Forum » DF Announcements » Forum Move Begins June 14th)
</STRONG>

Yes.

Again, please hold off on the nitpicking until you can actually see it in action here.  :p
In fact though, I have a version of the theme installed on the TaleWorlds forums as well (minus the DF related logo and activity icons), so you could see a better preview of it if you have an account over there.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2008, 01:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
Again, please hold off on the nitpicking until you can actually see it in action here.  ;)
quote:
Originally posted by Janus:
In fact though, I have a version of the theme installed on the TaleWorlds forums as well (minus the DF related logo and activity icons), so you could see a better preview of it if you have an account over there.

Had a look and it certainly looks interesting. Would any feedback related to the Darkling-theme be of use to you, or has the DF themed version diverged too much allready?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

Now I remember seeing the name "Janus" on the Taleworlds forum...  Geez I'm thick.

I admit to not having kept up much with M&B as of late...  I'll have to take a peek into the mods list some time soon, just to see what fun stuff has been cooked up.

Not that I'll actually have any time to play any of it, mind you.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Brilliant!

Next stop: actual avatars!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

Oh don't start that again...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

I'm not trying to start an argument.. just expressing my own personal delight at the notion of being able to use them.

As Toady already mentioned in the OP (which is what I'm responding to - I haven't bothered to read the rest of it, so if there was some argument between there and here, I'm oblivious), they won't be mandatory and can be turned off from an individual's personal settings if they think it's more aesthetic.

Therefore I consider anybody who complains about it to just be a party pooper, and shall merrily take their moping as a sign of great justice.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Had a look and it certainly looks interesting. Would any feedback related to the Darkling-theme be of use to you, or has the DF themed version diverged too much allready?</STRONG>

The only real differences are the board activity icons and top DF logo.
Based on the plan of keeping it slim and easy to update, I don't really plan to change anything which would require more than CSS modifications or different images. While a fair bit of the design can be changed via CSS, there's quite a lot that can't be.
Of course, Toady might well decide to make further changes himself.

With all of that in mind, feel free to offer feedback.

Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7