Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Distant Worlds Interactive LP: The Empire of Man  (Read 10541 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Distant Worlds Interactive LP: The Empire of Man
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:33:18 pm »

Greetings Forumgoers!

Here kicks off attempt number two to start a very fun and interaction-based Let's Play! Some of you may remember this, and indeed this game will be similar, though the writing will hopefully be better and things'll all be handled a bit more smoothly! If you're interested in reading, the updates will be listed at the bottom of the OP, if you're interested in PLAYING, keep reading!

To summarize the Imperial Mandate shortly, it will suffice to say that it is the document that grants the feudal rulers their interplanetary powers. As part of the Imperial Constitution of 2200, the mandate provides that planets should and will be colonized by the empire and that their rulers are legally raised to at least the title of Count and given a seat in the Imperial Parliament, specifically the Congress of Lords.

To "play" in this interactive session, you will need a planet. At any given time there will only be a number of planets open, and they will be handed out on a first-come first-serve basis. There are few types of nobility officially recognized these days, and to acquire a basis to be included in suggestions you need at least the rank of Baron. From least to most votes the ranks of nobility go as such; Baron (with one) -> Count (with two) -> Duke (with three) -> Grand Duke/King (with four). For now, the system will work like this; Independent planetary rulers are Counts, Counts under a Duke give up one of their votes to their lord, the King (and Grand Dukes) gets four votes (unless of course, he manages to acquire any Counts or Dukes under his direct rule.) This section will be revised when we get that far in to the game, Grand Dukes being Dukes holding titles in multiple duchies.

addendum: "Players" (Lords) will basically be able to influence suggestion to the game more heavily than non-players. No voting. That was a complicated idea. They throw their support behind whichever ideas they like the most and once one is prevalent it will be put in to effect. For non-players (everyone else) you may also suggest things, but Lords will be able to shoot it down and so will I. If you can get a lord to champion your suggestion though, it'll be argued and maybe put in to effect by myself.

If there aren't any planets left at the time you wish to join or you don't want one and you still want to participate, you will still get to vote in the Council of Imperial Representatives and Minor Nobility. Essentially, it means anyone may introduce suggestions to the game as long as you RP it as imperial legislation. This extends also to the Congress of Lords, who must also approve your suggestions should they become popular enough. The King, myself, will be able to veto any suggestion from the Council (but not the Congress.) To make things more interesting, I will allow anyone playing as a Count or Duke to payroll a number of Councilmen (or women) by granting them Baronies, the number of which are available will be decided mostly arbitrarily (but fairly) by myself. Barons and other rulers who are the direct vassals of other rulers may vote independent of their lord, even if they have given up one vote. Remember this.

addendum: vassalage will still be here, and I will consider those with more vassals with greater weight in their suggestion.

To clear up any confusion about how vassalage will work i'll explain it here. Everyone here is relatively independent of everyone else, bound by the constitution, your INDIRECT vassalage to me, and trade. Over time, for whatever reasons, rulers may acquire vassals and those will become direct vassals. I too can accrue them.

Keep in mind that I too will be periodically introducing legislation. (Much of this will be changeable by voting, so i'm keeping things open.)

addendum: We are voting for what are basically suggestions to how the game will be played. Anyone can suggest something, but it'll be easier for people "playing" to be able to influence the game. It will make more sense once I get the first update out and introduce some thing that need voting on. I.E. in game options, which in DW, covers a lot of things. A good one will be whether or not we allow slavery of other species in the empire. #SpoilerAlert

Below you'll find the Noble Listings which will chronicle most of the Lords of the Empire, but for my sanity's sake I ask all lords to help me out by providing these things when they vote:

-RP name
-A clear declaration of your suggestion
-The number of votes you have
-A list of your current vassals

You may also wish to include:
-RP pic
-RP reasons behind your vote
-Questions
-Dialogue with other members of the Parliament

Finally, there are couple of things you CAN'T do (Mostly entirely due to the limitation of Distant World's engine and In-Game Editor):

-Declare war on other members of the empire (though it could happen!)
-Declare independence (though it could happen!)
-probably a couple of things I can't remember

Finally, that was a lot of poorly explained stuff, so if you have questions: DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK

Coming Soon!

Coming Soon!

Update 1: Space...
Update 2: Pirates and Intragalactic Mother's Day
Update 3: Boring Worlds

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:24:46 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds Interactive LP: The Empire of Man
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:34:52 pm »

Over the next few days I will be updating the OP AND posting an update along with some pictures and a kick-ass map. For now, i'm tired as hell... SoonTM

EDIT: Prethread has been locked. Post here!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:40:10 pm »

I'll claim a planet when one becomes available.

I would like a better explanation of the voting system. It made like no sense whatsoever to me. What are we even voting for?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:42 pm »

I'll claim a planet when one becomes available.

I would like a better explanation of the voting system. It made like no sense whatsoever to me. What are we even voting for?

I made an addendum up above, but to restate it quickly: basically we vote on suggestions to the game. People "playing" can influence the game more. Etc.

EDIT: *sigh*, I might rewrite the it to make it clearer, but later. The Emperor is tired.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:53:11 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

engineer13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »

First off, I must say that you just tried to put out a lot of info in a short and concise manner which is why you did mess up some and leave some stuff kind of ambiguous, but over all I think you did a pretty good job.  Also you made a couple errors that I found:
I hope I wasn't being too bold (badum-tss) in pointing out the mistakes :D

Also let me see if I can clear up the voting process from what I think you said.  Anybody can make any suggestion they want for how to play the game.  It can range from "we should colonize this planet" to "we should go to war with this race".  While anyone can make any suggestion they want, it will have to go through a process if they aren't in the congress.  If a minor lord (non-congressional member) makes a suggestion then it needs to gather a lot of interest or at least the interest of some of the major lords in order to be voted on.  If a major lord makes a suggestion then I'm not sure if it gets voted on or if it still needs support and if so to what extent of support does it need.  Regardless, once a suggestion is up for vote then all of the major lords get to vote on it.  The higher the lord the more votes they have/the more weight their vote has.  Also if a lord has any vassals then they gain one extra vote/weight for each vassal.  If a lord is a vassal then they lose one vote/weight.  I believe that pretty well summed up the voting process so I hope that helps.

EDIT* Almost forgot.  I would like to claim a planet once it becomes available as well.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 05:08:01 am »

Oh, my body is ready.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:11:02 am »

LORD LODRAS OF LORDASIA CLAIMS THE PLANET LORDASIA.

And also his debauchery fleet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 05:23:16 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:17 am »

PTW.

Melanthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:46:24 am »

So this hasn't started yet?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 03:13:04 pm »

@engie, yes thanks, also yes that's accurate. I'll probably clean it up once i'm done with the first update.

@melanthius, it's starting now, i'm working on the first update as I type. (will probably take a while though)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:15:57 pm »

Perhaps give a template for rp characters?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 03:43:25 pm »

PTW
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 05:49:31 pm »

Perhaps give a template for rp characters?
There are some examples here, in the prethread. Generally people have a Name, an Imperial Title (probably count as they hold a planet of their own), a Military Rank (pretty much whatever, everyone will likely have some type of naval forces), a Current Status, and some people elect to add some Fluff to their character.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:35 pm »

Update #1: Space...

Name: Cornelius Beardius Scoopzen Von Landshut
Imperial Title: Emperor of Humanity, King of Earth & Nispes Minor 3, and 67th Baron Munchën

"Greetings, Lords and Ladies of the Imperial Parliament. Today marks our first efforts in reform aimed at turning us in to a true galactic power! So long decentralized, I have personally commissioned a map of the empire and created the Office of the Imperial Cartographer! While the map is not yet complete, and indeed will always be periodically updated, I have approved the showing of an unfinished political map...
Spoiler: Handmade, very WIP (click to show/hide)

Furthermore, Imperial officials have begun compiling a number of reports to facilitate the ongoings of the Imperial Parliament, including a basic map of the known galaxy...

... A closer view of our glorious Empire...

... A list of our colonies and major holdings...

... and a political, economic, and military summary of the Empire.

I would also wish to announce the following Imperial representatives to The Peerage and as such the Congress of Lords;

Hiranus von Khaziraad (DreamerGhost), to the rank of Count, having henceforth been granted the colony of Essot in the Yitnes Prime system,

Lodras... of, uh, Lordasia (BFEL, that magnificent beast), to the rank of Count, having henceforth been ranted the colony of Varunat Junction 2 in the Varunat Junction system... presumably to soon be renamed... Lordasia,

Heinrich von Hyttenrauch (GentlemanRaptor), to the rank of Count, having henceforth been granted the colony of Azamol 1 in the Azamol system, likely to be renamed Neu Preussen,

and Verah Atoste (engineer13), to the rank of Count, having henceforth been granted the colony of Sol 1 in the Sol system, likely to be renamed Loreli.

In addition,

Koshan Ferip, should he accept, shall be granted the rank of Count and the world of Nispes Minor 2, in the Nispes Minor system.
(Keep in mind young Ferip, Nispes Minor being the Capital system, politics can be... difficult)

As emperor, I shall retain the capital world and holding of Nispes Minor 3."

Now Ladies and Gentleman, to policy.

Among are leading issues are...

Military Reform
Our fleet is small and outdated, we need:
- a mandate for new designs (what do you want? large, small, speedy, tanky, etc.)
- research focuses (what kind of fleet are we fielding? Carriers and support groups? Big lines of battleships? or are we a frigate navy?
-strategy (open ended, if you wanna suggest something)

(This is the biggest issue at the moment. There are some research things that we should settle, but it would take a long time to describe the tech trees to people unfamiliar with DW, if you are familiar, feel free to suggest research focuses)

Consider this session of the Imperial Parliament officially open. Lords, Minor Nobility, and other Imperial Representatives the floor is now your to field questions or introduce suggestions...

engineer13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 11:14:14 pm »

[Grammar nazi]
  • Today marks our first efforts in reform aimed at turning us in to a true galactic power!  Should be:  Today marks our first efforts in reform aimed at turning us into a true galactic power!
  • and other Imperial Representatives the floor is now your to field questions or introduce suggestions...  Should be:  and other Imperial Representatives the floor is now yours to field questions or introduce suggestions...
[/Grammar nazi]

If I may take the floor Emperor Landshut.  I, Verah Atoste, would like to present the following decrees to be considered by yourself and the Imperial Parliament as a whole:
  • We should produce large quantities of small vessels for the time being.  They should be fast and moderately armed for our current technology.  This will allow us to quickly produce a formidable enough military to withstand any foe we should encounter at this time and it will give us the speed needed to quickly respond to any threat, despite where it may be discovered, with our full power.
  • For the future we should invest into large carrier vessels.  This will allow us to continue to scale our current fleet of small quick vessels until that point.  Once we do begin changing to large carriers with squadrons of fighters then we can use our small quick vessels for two purpose.  They can be used as protective frigates for the carriers or they can be used for security in our home galaxies while our carriers are used to wage war against our enemies.
  • For the time being our strategy should be two-fold.  We should continuously expand in order to take new systems and gain new resources and strategical positions.  Whilst we expand we should also attempt to make peace with any extraterrestrial beings we may find.  A quick war could be heavily detrimental to our beginning structures.  I would recommend that, unless a war is unavoidable or the aliens are puny enough to be easily destroyed, we should not go to war with any race until we have sufficiently created a large foundation for our empire.
  • Finally I recommend the following for research strategies:  (My informants have yet to return with news as to whether we have fully researched hyperdrive technologies yet so forgive me if we have and this next recommendation is null) We should focus highly into finding some sort of ruins capable of allowing us to research hyperdrive and then we should focus our energy research into hyperdrive technologies until we unlock the Gerax Hyperdrive.  Until we are able to research hyperdrive technologies (or if we already have) we should focus our energy research into mining and space construction.  This will allow us to create a large economical presence that rivals any other empire.  In our weapons research we should focus upon beam weapons because this will be our main weapon for our frigate military in the beginning, but after some time we should begin to shift our focus to star fighters to allow our carrier and fighter production.  Finally our high tech research should be less focused on a single thing and more grasping for specific technologies.  We should go for the following in no particular order:  Long range scanners as this will give us simple proximity sensors that we can outfit most of our ships with to give simple intelligence and the long range scanners can be outfitted to our bases to give system wide information at all times.  Advanced cargo and fuel storage because with an ever expanding empire the "normal" sized versions will quickly become outdated.  Enhanced or advanced crew systems because hab modules and life support take up a lot of room and it's best to get that down early on.  Medical and entertainment systems because you know why.  Finally we should spend a large portion of the rest of our research in this field focusing on research and colonization improvements because these will have very large benefits.
I thank the council for hearing my suggestions and I hope that you will all consider these things.  GLORY TO THE EMPIRE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4