Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer  (Read 21752 times)

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2015, 04:35:54 pm »

I shall return to Naturearrows after subduing the dwarven bandits.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2015, 10:37:23 pm »

I personally support updates just being posted at the end of the thread, though copypasta-ing them into the spoiler in the first page is fine too. I'm enjoying this so far.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2015, 12:07:36 am »

Thanks. Will do.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 12:21:18 am »

Thankee kindly.  Also of note is that I'm currently doing some sort-of-anthropology myself, with a weird worldgen setup I made, and partially inspired by you. Nothing worth writing down yet though.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2015, 07:03:55 am »

PTW. Enjoying this so far.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 01:53:06 pm »

The adventure continues and the plot thickens.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 05:35:04 pm »

Found some coins, Max. You'll love them.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »

:D

I must say this is a great idea for a backstory, it's in the plans for adventurer scenarios dev goals too I think.

Adventurer Role: Explorer

Mapping and obstacles
        It should be possible to optionally hide sections of the map during world generation
        Store region names by entity, not all places would have names, ability to give names to the regions/rivers/peaks etc. that you discover
        Should not be able to cross every river square from travel map unless there's a bridge
        Fording rivers
        Ferries
        Ports and boats (even if they are just used to teleport to other ports at first)
    Lands and beastiary
        More overland map features and local variations
        Scrap good/evil lands for lands with more variety
        Randomized critters in other categories (vermin, roaming creatures, soil critters, plants, etc.), naming them
        Being able to look at a list of all known creatures you've seen and where
    First contact
        If you are exotic enough, leader might be interested in speaking to you even if you are a stranger
        Might be able to exchange gifts between civ leaders and accept and give gifts yourself
    Animal people and other protectors
        Being tracked and hunted if you kill creatures in places you shouldn't
    Scouting and rewards
        Tracking information about new locations and being able to share it with civ leaders
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:39:51 pm by Max™ »

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2015, 05:55:53 pm »

That would be pretty great.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2015, 11:00:18 am »

22th of Granite 175
   Around midday, I arrived at Praisedshoves to be greeted by what I presumed to be a war part sent from yours truly, Zefon Tiredtomb (I discovered later on that many of them were lavishly equipped with weapons and armor of bismuth and regular bronze, steel, and iron). They acted cordial and then tried to flank me. I sprinted and threw iron bolts at my pursuers. Eventually, they stopped chasing me, so I snuck back towards them. One had bled out from being hit with two bolts; three others which I immediately caught sight of were badly injured during the pursuit (one was too injured to even approach me). After they were dispatched, I collected my bolts and saw that only four remained (I was a little skeptical that my first impressions were correct). I decided to toss some bolts their way to thin out the numbers before a full-fledged assault (I wished that even one villager gave me aid in eradicating these haughty bandits). Two went down from the bolts—I closed in, lash in hand. I first executed the fallen speardwarves, one of which was the sly bastard who had tried to lull me into a false sense of security. I noticed two more dwarf soldiers immediately after my assault. I gloated in the hammerdwarves face about Zefon, blocked his strike, and lashed him in the head, causing him to pass out. I made quick use of my large copper dagger to finish him off.
   One dwarf was so frightened that he ran away while I slew another hammerdwarf. Upon chasing the coward, two more dwarves came into sight. Unfortunately (for their sake), their backs were turned towards me. I assumed the battle was over when I saw a few villagers come out of their houses. One of them, Evhol (Rogonotu) Famousvirtue, a farmer and friend since birth, hilariously stated, “Not one hour ago I attacked me.” I laughed at her and made my way to the mead hall. On my way, I found the last of the bandit army. They three cowered from me. The marksdwarf of the group stated that he was a lieutenant and that they now served the warlord Melbil Fightglazes (the wrestler from before). I then had a feeling that I should have left no survivors at that crimson camp. I told them that I had slain their comrades earlier in the day and that they were to meet the same fate for their crimes against Praisedshoves and the Sizzling Confederacy. They merely replied, “You are a killer. You ended the days of Rigòth Mythglazed. You are also unhinged. You perpetrated a violent attack upon Kivish Trustwound.” Their words were all too true. Later, even my friend Ecroh (Nithofáb) called mean unhinged killer.
   No matter where I went in Praisedshoves, the people still feared an attack from the Rosy Ship and believed me to be a murderer, despite my solitary and selfless defense of the hamlet. Lady Desli still said I did not possess the honor to be called a hearthperson. I spat at her; the spittle struck her left lower arm. They still foolishly believed that Zefon lived, disregarding my reports of his skull and flesh resting upon his spear back at the bloodstained campsite. I had to leave this mockery of loyalty, honor, and justice—I had to find a place where I no longer had to kill other sentient beings for the benefit of lords and ladies, but not before ending the Rosy Ship. I slept atop the mead hall before leaving, for I could not bear to dwell in the same building as the disgraceful warlords below me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:41:06 pm by contheman »
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2015, 12:30:51 pm »

Indiana Jones and The Quest for Tenure.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:32:35 pm by Max™ »

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2015, 12:39:25 pm »

Indiana Jones and The Quest for Tenure.

Who knew the tenure track could get this bloody? I have more, but I think it might be easier for you guys to digest if I post the adventure day-by-day. If not, say otherwise.

P.S. I appreciate the editorial comments. I strive for perfection, but I can't catch everything.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:42:34 pm by contheman »
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »

Oh it's a fun read and it'll be interesting seeing how you overcome the ultimate challenge: thesis review boards!

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2015, 05:04:36 pm »

Oh it's a fun read and it'll be interesting seeing how you overcome the ultimate challenge: thesis review boards!
...or the board of ethics.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2015, 07:24:33 pm »

Just keep killing them until they rule what you are doing to be ethical, shouldn't take more than four or five boards.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10