Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Stellar Monarch - 4X, turn based, space empire builder with no micromanagement  (Read 44345 times)

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Looking very good so far LordArchibald, I see the steam release is giving you some extra coverage and testing which is nice.

I have a quick question here, on your website in the past you mentioned there would be an option to buy the game without steam as well (if I remember right, might be getting a bit too old heh). I don't see it anymore now though, will this option still exist in the end for those that don't use steam?

This is one of the few games I am keeping an eye on very closely and looking forward to, it looks super interesting :)
Here it is: http://www.pocketspaceempire.com/pre-order/ it gives you both direct download and a steam key.

Yep, Steam EA is a nice thing for sure, got an instant coverage and testers. But the bays forum was very nice for getting earlier feedback as well, thanks!
Legends of Amberland: The Forgotten Crown - classic RPG (topic)
Stellar Monarch - 4X, no micromanagement, turn based (topic)
Homepage: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SilverLemur

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

any updates?

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

any updates?
Yup :) A bunch of versions.

You know, I think I will start posting the updates here again, since these are more rare now (2 per month it seems).

Version 0.29 released

It's an interesting and somewhat painful stage of development. I revise various mechanics and... chop features that were not so great :) It's usually a stage when I realize something can be done much simplier without losing any depth (after the overly complex feature is already implemented :(). So what exactly was done? The whole army tab was slated, several mechanics changed/redone. Introduced a nice budget mechanic (I like it). Also rebalanced economy.

- [removed] Army tab removed, army officers merged with fleet, most of army officers removed
- [removed] Powerplants removed (not worthy of attention of the mighty Emperor :))
- [removed] Forts removed (will be replaced with defensive subsidies in the next version), planetary defensive priorities removed

- [feature] Budget mechanic (finances tab), it allows investing in various areas, also it's a nearly infinite money sink if one so desire :)
- [feature] Electricity mechanic introduced, it reused gas (which no longer is a fuel for ships, but a source of electricity). Planets and cities require electricity, if you have a shortage grasdually worse and worse effects come into play (those are listed on the electricity tooltip). Not all electricity shortage effects work in this version.
- [feature] Political officers added to fleets (in future they will be optional), also generals assigned to fleets.
- [feature] Changed army model to local, no more a global pool for defensive infantry (only stormtroopers have such a pool), it's all more simple and intuitive now.
- [feature] Happiness mechanic adjusted.

- [balance] Adjusted starting planetary infrastructure, starting population, resources production rate, etc. Overall you start with more at the beginning but it becomes harder later.
- [balance] Adjusted food & population growth

- [interface] Reforms renamed to edicts (more logical and intuitive)
- [interface] Better tooltips, some beautifications, etc

Version 0.28.2 released

In this version I attempted to explain better some confusing mechanics (like security rating) and in the process I changed those too because I found a better and a simplier way how those should work :) Also finished some features like creation perks and reforms.

- [feature] All create Emperor perks work now.
- [feature] Finished reforms and tied them nicely to eras (number of reforms per era).
- [feature] Planetary loyalty and security explained much better (tooltips). Happiness now affect planet's loyalty only.
- [feature] Rebel points generation (from planetary security, from loyalty of imperial officials) also all this explained better on the empire/summary screen. Note that rebellion is not implemented yet so these have no effect at the moment.
- [feature] Planetary quality of life simplified and explained better, now it affects population growth and efficiency of all industries.
- [feature] Court replacement rules adjusted (old ones get auto promoted if there is a vacancy for any reason and the new ones come into the lowest rank slots).

- [balance] Difficulty levels now differ much more, so players of all skill levels could play it (difficulty 9 should be impossible now). Note that the game is balanced for difficulty 4 (default one).

- [interface] New map mode "specialization" (shows specialization and resource deposits).
- [interface] Numerous beautifications.

Version 0.28.1 released (post Pyrkon version)

This version is the result of the Pyrkon expo and the feedback I gathered there. Thanks all people who visited me there!

- [feature] New court movement rules (also renamed move pts to political pts). The same depth but much less confusing.
- [feature] Department of Protocol is special now, it has no effect at all :) So, it's a great place to store all those incompetent courtiers that are loyal to you or those you need to keep for political reasons.
- [feature] Modified max industry level mechanic.
- [feature] Context help greatly expanded (it's still lacking and unfinished).

- [removed] Innovation mechanic (no one understood it anyway, plus it was redundant with the field bonus mechanic).

- [interface] Improved industry page (edicts less confusing).
- [interface] Research screen improved (list of queued technologies on the fields screen).
- [interface] Find planet/squadron makes zoom in.
- [interface] Numerous beautifications and improvements.

- [fix] Various small fixes.

Version 0.28 released!

The goal of this update was to finish some unfinished things (court related) and streamline the game and interface a bit (removal of test functions, no summon everyone option, default fleet composition).

- [feature] court faction bonuses rednoe and fully implemented (now only the top most influential faction provides a bonus)
- [feature] departments got a separate subpage and there are working bonuses/penalties based on courtiers competence (some are bland and repetitive, will be adjusted in future versions)
- [feature] default fleet composition (hull types requested for squadrons)

- [removed] test/dev functions are hidden (unless you activate tester mode)
- [removed] audience chancellor button summoning all officials (it was too micro like one)

Saves compatibility note: compatible with v0.27 with a possible minor first turn glitch (tax bonus might be wrong during the first turn after you use old saves)

Version 0.27.3 released!

- [fix] tax system
- [fix] incorrect corruption of new characters

- [feature] icon on the planet screen to identify a frontier planet
- [feature] various smaller improvements
- [balance] characters live significantly longer, less minerals from mines (which means lower ships production)

Version 0.27.2 released

Fix of the fix :) Also removed/redid a bunch of useless features in order to make it simplier & more streamlined.

- [fix] The rare Win 8.1 screen bug

- [removed] fire governor button on planet screen (it was too micromanagish and overall lame, now you can fire governors via audience system only)
- [removed] squadron size button (it's not needed in practice and was only confusing, just create multiple squadrons and you get the same effect)
- [feature] changed planetary defence priority adjustment, instead of adjusting it by -3/+3 now you can set a planet as a fort, you can do it with maximum 3 planets. Fort planets are also marked on the map and overall it's better and more cool.

Version 0.27.1 (Alpha) released.

The first update after Steam Early Access.

- [fix] Added "safe mode" launch option which you can use if you have problems  (Steam option, or you can run the game via "gamename.exe -safemode")
- [fix] Probably fixed the rare Win 8.1 screen bug (but it needs confirmation, anyway, you can use the safemode if you still have problems)

- [feature] Characters have names displayed prominently above their stats (except planetary governors, because they are not worthy of your magnificent attention :))
- [feature] improved context help and overall improved help
- [balance] Pirates a bit weaker

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile

I should try the latest version.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile

Will you implement special political styles in different societies. I see that a hive empress might make mating a very important thing on the top of her list.
A warrior empire might want to raid the neighbours or it might require sacrifices of the population in arena battles, enslaved aliens etc.
A scientist empire might want to probe other species occassionally, and you could decide on which ethics you build the science on (immoral, vulcanian, enlightened)

Will religion play a role?

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Will you implement special political styles in different societies. I see that a hive empress might make mating a very important thing on the top of her list.
A warrior empire might want to raid the neighbours or it might require sacrifices of the population in arena battles, enslaved aliens etc.
A scientist empire might want to probe other species occassionally, and you could decide on which ethics you build the science on (immoral, vulcanian, enlightened)

Will religion play a role?
Not really, the game is focusing on the human empire. You can not play other races. But political styles will be present from the diplomacy point of view (like an opportunity to buy a planet from a corrupted Thale Republic official or an option to support a usurper in Sha Monarchy).
As for religion, it's not within the mood of the game (the game is not about a feudal system, but rather a bureaucratic Empire in the style of Heavenly Empire of China).

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Version 0.29.1 released

This version was aimed to polish all the new stuff from v0.29, tons of fixes were made as well. Introduced subsidies mechanic. Admirals can now be summoned before the Emperor (and then they can be told that they failed you :D)

- [feature] Subsidies introduced. You can use credits to subsidy a planet in one of areas (defence, economy, population, claims). Susbsidies expire at the end of era.
- [feature] Finished all electricity effects and budget effects, also altered those
- [feature] Generals replaced with Vice Admirals
- [feature] Admirals can be summoned to the audience (instead of "fire admiral" button, now you can fire the admiral via the audience mechanic). You can summon only one admiral per turn, if you summon no one an admiral that was there the furthest will attend.

- [removed] Fort removed (replaced with defensive subsidy)

- [fix] Resources properly update at the first turn
- [fix] Fixed tonnage of fleets calculations
- [fix] Fixed a bug allowing enacting an already active edict
- [fix] Several other smaller fixes

- [interface] Planet interface has military tab removed and all military info moved to planet's overview, added subsidies tab
- [interface] Industry level renamed to development level
- [interface] Fleet screen has average competence/loyalty/corruption of officers displayed
- [interface] Exploration report shows planet graphics and statistics
- [interface] More and better tooltips in various places

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Implemented rebellion :)

Also other updates.
I would say the game progresses quite well :) Thanks to all people who were participating in various discussion here, it was helpful :)

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Once again thanks you all for this helpful feedback :)

Also, here is a topic about my next game: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164431.0  it's also turn based and also with aim to reduce micro, so if you were interested in Stellar Monarch you might be interested it that one too.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finally picked this up.
Spent the first 2 eras axing all the male courtiers, so I could have an imperial harem.  Sure, most of them were incompetent, disloyal and/or corrupt.  But there were a few gems.  Then they started dying of old age. 
You can't see the age of courtiers and officers? So it just looks like they are dying randomly once enough time passes.  Forcing early retirement could be a thing, once past 80.

Which then brings me to my current issue.  Given that you have many options to try to cultivate them, they just die too quickly for it to matter.
Better to keep throwing em into the grinder. And hope something better comes out.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Finally picked this up.
Spent the first 2 eras axing all the male courtiers, so I could have an imperial harem.  Sure, most of them were incompetent, disloyal and/or corrupt.  But there were a few gems.  Then they started dying of old age. 
You can't see the age of courtiers and officers? So it just looks like they are dying randomly once enough time passes.  Forcing early retirement could be a thing, once past 80.

Which then brings me to my current issue.  Given that you have many options to try to cultivate them, they just die too quickly for it to matter.
Better to keep throwing em into the grinder. And hope something better comes out.
Heh :)

I was thinking about it and I have 3 solutions (comment on them):
- increase default lifespan (actually, you do it yourself by editing balance.ini file)
- add Advanced Customization option to control average lifespan of characters (shorter, normal, longer, much longer, etc)
- add "life span boost" or "immortality drug" technology

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube

I really like the interfaces. It gives me that nostalgic 90s 4X feel without all the weeks of onerous micromanagement for each and every single one of my planets and ships :)
Gameplay timelapse

Immortality drug sounds cool. Gene therapy should increase human lifespans by quite a bit.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) Did not know there was a way to edit things.
2) On its own, may be the best way to go, giving options to players who don't know enough to mod their game.  Immortality should be an optional thing.
3) Immortality research... Well if we go this way, make it so that you must individually apply it to people.  Courtiers, through the political screen.

So it has its expenses.  Obvious loyalty increase and random change on corruption?  (Cause the emprah just choose to foot the bill to make you immortal.  You now can live forever, outlook on life also changes.)

Now getting rid of them... You can't just banish them.  They must be purged.

Highly corrupt+competent individuals might be able to become immortal on their own once research is unlocked.   (Maybe optional setting?)
You could even put in events related to immortals descending into madness/enlightenment/depravity/whatever have you.  Translated into simple stat changes. 
Or running off on their own.  ...
# of Immortals who need to be purged...

Overall, longevity = long term stability, but possible short term instability if everyone dies around the same few years.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:15:37 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Saw this no Steam today. Congrats to LordArchibald for making it*.  :D
(I'm going to wait for a sale to buy it, but once there is one- I will.)

(*) I mean succeeding. But also for making a game, yes.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

LordArchibald

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • IndieGameDev

Saw this no Steam today. Congrats to LordArchibald for making it*.  :D
(I'm going to wait for a sale to buy it, but once there is one- I will.)

(*) I mean succeeding. But also for making a game, yes.
I put it on all "traditional" Steam sales (Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter IIRC) but it's not an aggressive discount, just a bit off the regular price.

BTW, I just released v1.19.
Here are overall plans for 2018: http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2018/01/12/stellar-monarch-development-plans-for-2018/

Oh  yes, and thanks for all the feedback and comments on Bay12 forums, those were helpful during development :)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13