Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Reclaim is sooooo buggy...  (Read 3223 times)

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reclaim is sooooo buggy...
« on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:07 am »

In my last fort I pastured/captured all sorts of beasts because there were no invasions and it was freaking boring. Then something went wrong and the game starts crashing again and again. I couldn't figure out what went wrong, so I just retired the fort and reclaim it, hoping to skip the bug.

Everything was scattered around. I had a similar problem in a previous fort - the dorfs all stuck in walls upon reclaiming. But this time it sucks more is FUN.

Everyone jailed or pastured were released. This is shortly after one of my many reclaiming attempts (hoping things will return to normal somehow), an ettin punched out all of a voracious crawler's teeth (this was very hilarious).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And a few ticks later:

Note that there's a dragon coming down the stairs. I thought he was gonna burn everything in that room into ash, then I can rebuild. But no.

He went upstairs and attacked the dorfs and fire is everywhere! Noooooooooooooooo!

I have observed that stray hydra attacking friendly units for some reason, but did not know dragon is so aggressive as well. Aren't they supposed to be, friendly?

I am facing a dilemma. I know I cannot save the fort, but I want it to survive by itself, so I am thinking of reclaiming the fort, quickly sealing off all exits, then retire again. At least everything inside will be safe.
But I also want to tame megabeasts in my future forts. I wonder if those beasts will revert back to wild if the dorfs are dead or I abandon the fort. If they do, I'll probably just completely abandon the fort.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaim is sooooo buggy...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:17:37 am »

Pretty sure this isn't due to bugs as much as simply being how it works right now.

That aside, I like how you, after doing something that resulted in chaos, figured that maybe if you just did it a few more times everything would become orderly again :D

Tamed animals have to be regularly 'maintained' by animal trainers or they will revert to being wild. Retiring and reclaiming probably just sped up the process, since the dwarfs in the retired fort wouldn't work to keep them tame.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:21:44 am »

I've had one tree-related crash.  Other than that, DF's been stable for me.

Is that Lazy Noob?  Some of its mods to make DF look prettier are known to cause crashes.

[edit] yep:  one workaround
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:28:12 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »

I was under the impression that dragons and hydra and other legendary beast would remain aggressive even when friendly so long as they had ever killed a dwarf of your civilization becoming an enemy of the civ.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:28:05 pm »

Pretty sure this isn't due to bugs as much as simply being how it works right now.

That aside, I like how you, after doing something that resulted in chaos, figured that maybe if you just did it a few more times everything would become orderly again :D

Tamed animals have to be regularly 'maintained' by animal trainers or they will revert to being wild. Retiring and reclaiming probably just sped up the process, since the dwarfs in the retired fort wouldn't work to keep them tame.

I don't know if this is how it supposed to work now. I had another fort in which everything were just fine, and the animals were still pastured after reclaiming. But that fort was pretty small. In this currently reclaimed fort I even lost more than half of my crafts/metal bars.

I am pretty sure that the animals are still stray animals after reclaiming. It just took two in-game weeks to reclaim a fort, so a trained animal won't just rewind to wild state in such short period of time anyway.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:35:06 pm »

I was under the impression that dragons and hydra and other legendary beast would remain aggressive even when friendly so long as they had ever killed a dwarf of your civilization becoming an enemy of the civ.

Well, I had cage traps everywhere, so they were captured before they could do any damage. And they don't seem to attack the dorfs who drag them to pasture zones or take their eggs, so I don't think any of them is already an enemy of the civ.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:39:40 pm »

I've had one tree-related crash.  Other than that, DF's been stable for me.

Is that Lazy Noob?  Some of its mods to make DF look prettier are known to cause crashes.

[edit] yep:  one workaround

Yeah I'm aware of the TWBT bug. It used to crash my adventure save a lot. I think I am now using Standard print mode.

My crash may had something to do with trees. The crash happen just a few ticks after I assigned some tree cutting jobs. I dug out all the spaces between two lakes, but there were trees which I couldn't dig, so I designated cutting those trees. Then I made a save and reload and unpause...BAM, crash!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:30:40 pm by Mrandom »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 07:52:44 pm »

Yes, reclaim has many bugs.

1) All rooms have to be re-assigned.
2) Containers are toppled.
3) Caged prisoners escape.
4) Drinks are spilled.
5) Underground stockpiles become above ground and the materials of the tiles change to their above ground equivalents (could be annoying if your rock floors become sand).
6) Nobles get reassigned and random crash on noble screen.
7) Random creatures, merchants, and other foreign/cavern units stuck in your fort.
8 ) Your dorfs get married. And married dorfs also get lovers (ha).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:28:52 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:50 pm »

4) Drinks are spilled.
5) Underground stockpiles become above ground and the materials of the tiles change to their above ground equivalents (could be annoying if your rock floors becomes sand).
7) Random creatures, merchants, and other foreign/cavern units stuck in your fort.

Definitely a victim of 7 here, though curiously enough, I had not breached the caves yet, and wound up with bat women at the fort.  (Fortunately, for "hostiles", they are pretty chill with my dwarves and vice versa.  Might consider caging them for the sake of making them the fort mascots.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »

Don't forget what happens if you retire and visit as an adventurer, then later unretire.

I had something like 20 wagons and a hundred merchants in the caverns last time... cue a bit of tunnel digging with my native dorfs and the last few bits were finished by a few I tweak makeown'D and use some of the picks down there for mass-murder/suicide.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 11:30:18 pm »

4) Drinks are spilled.
5) Underground stockpiles become above ground and the materials of the tiles change to their above ground equivalents (could be annoying if your rock floors becomes sand).

Ah, and an other one: Emptied natural pond are refilled.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 11:20:31 am »

My crash may had something to do with trees. The crash happen just a few ticks after I assigned some tree cutting jobs. I dug out all the spaces between two lakes, but there were trees which I couldn't dig, so I designated cutting those trees. Then I made a save and reload and unpause...BAM, crash!
Huh...  Usually saving/reloading fixes things for me.  But trees are definitely bugged.  I remember my woodcutter cutting down the tree he'd climbed down to get there and being stuck in the cavern.  The game slowed to a crawl when the tree fell, and when I tried to build a ramp out for him, the game showed many negative distances to materials.  The same happened several times when fruit pickers got stuck in trees.  If I didn't notice the symptoms in time the game would crash.  Saving/reloading invariably fixed it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:24:20 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 04:33:14 pm »

4) Drinks are spilled.
5) Underground stockpiles become above ground and the materials of the tiles change to their above ground equivalents (could be annoying if your rock floors become sand).
Remind me to never reclaim. I can't let the drinks get spilled!
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:04:39 am »

Huh...  Usually saving/reloading fixes things for me.  But trees are definitely bugged.  I remember my woodcutter cutting down the tree he'd climbed down to get there and being stuck in the cavern.  The game slowed to a crawl when the tree fell, and when I tried to build a ramp out for him, the game showed many negative distances to materials.  The same happened several times when fruit pickers got stuck in trees.  If I didn't notice the symptoms in time the game would crash.  Saving/reloading invariably fixed it.

And never build floors on top of any tree. The tree will disappear the moment the floor is built and the material which is supposed to be used for that floor will often float in the air. The game shows negative distances to that piece of material, although it is retrievable if you can access a tile next to it.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:04 pm »

And never build floors on top of any tree. The tree will disappear the moment the floor is built and the material which is supposed to be used for that floor will often float in the air. The game shows negative distances to that piece of material, although it is retrievable if you can access a tile next to it.
Negative as in <0 or as in >MAXINT? We need someone familiar with the internals of the pathfinder...
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.
Pages: [1] 2