Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Agar.io cell MMO  (Read 101145 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Agar.io cell MMO
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2015, 01:32:53 am »

Technically it's an HTML5 game...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2015, 01:33:50 am »

I wish I could find the -general area- everyone here is playing to at least -probably- meet someone out there on B12, whenever net gives the OK here anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2015, 04:33:04 am »

Speaking of allies, in teams you can use W to shoot mass into your teammates. This can get them out of a tight jam if they're just BARELY too small to eat somebody/not get eaten, or you can boost tiny people so they can eat things faster. I got into a symbiotic relationship with Deez Nuts, wherein we'd shoot mass into one another when one of us was down on their luck. Great fun.
Having an ally is much more powerful then that.
Usually you don't want to split unless your target is ~25% of your mass, and you almost never want to double split (especially at large sizes) except in extreme circumstance. Recombining takes quite a long time, and especially split 4 ways, you are probably going to end up getting at least half eaten due to being such a tempting target. At best you are going to spend like 3 minutes running away from everyone else.

Having an ally completely throws the downsides of splitting out the window. You can double split to eat 20% of your mass, then throw your 3 smaller blobs into your ally, and then he W's back into you. So instead of a double split taking you like 3-4 minutes to recover from, you can recover from it in like 15 seconds with trivial risk. This changes double splitting from crazy risky to nearly completely risk free. And once you get most of your mass back, you can do the same thing again to any enemy that gets within range (and note that since you can double split to get smaller enemies and still have it be worth it, you have a much much greater eating range).

And as you pointed out, you can also use it to eat combine your mass so that you can eat someone near the size of either of you individually.

Of course, you still shouldn't get cocky. Even with your ally stay away from anyone you can't eat for sure, most notably anyone significantly higher up on the leaderboards then you.

BUT: Note this (which I found in the changelog): "Ejected mass now loses 10% of its mass (you lose X mass, but the ejected mass only has 0.9x mass)." Transferring the mass between you and your ally isn't free.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2015, 03:45:30 am »

I play as Cell on US East. Sometimes I play as Cell[B12].

I die a lot, but usually I can get into the low leaderboard ranks, occasionally as high as 3-4, and once -once, mind you- I got a second place spot before foolishness (mine this time).

Usually, I'll play where if someone offers help, I'll help out if I can, and I try to only eat part of a split cell, so the smaller part can escape and live. I tend to be live and let live (of course, I DO eat cells like they were candy - how can you not?).

Tonight though, I had a rough round where several cells seemed to hunt me for no reason, or against reason, as often happens. I got a little irked, and played my first vengeance round. I spikeballed no less than three massive first place cells in revenge, reducing or eliminating them by proxy. I think only one managed to stay on the leaderboard. Hmm, I think I spikeballed one just because of the name though, not for revenge. I was on a roll.

So, if you see Cell, and you are into fellowship and teamwork, help a brother out, and I will help you out. I've even suicided for the sake of my partner several times.

I lovehate this game :P

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2015, 07:22:33 am »

I hate playing on the EU servers, because people split for anything. Literally every time a cell comes onto your screen you have to flee if it's bigger, because no matter how tiny you are, it WILL split for you.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2015, 11:38:13 am »

This game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2015, 12:41:24 pm »

I found a strategy (never be less than 2 parts except for trapping, generally four) that lets you survive for huge amounts of time, though it doesn't get me very high. Basically split whenever you want to flee, see far, or graze, which is almost always. Doesn't work well with too many people, and flee lots, but effective for a quick 500 or so.
One wheel short of a wagon

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2015, 02:54:23 pm »

So managed to completely dominate a teamgame as blue (cthulhu), green and red were reduced to slivers. However, it quickly becomes much harder to maintain domination as there aren't any enemies to feed on anymore once you've gotten rid of all the big ones, and then as your mass slowly rots away sneaky little buggers have been building themselves up out of sight and then suddenly bam here comes the Death Star.

Team Mode really needs a minimap.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2015, 03:18:53 pm »

[National Geographic voice]
Behold the blue team their skill and ability to work together has caused them to be the dominant cells.  However, they have become too powerful, knocking the natural order out of alignment and pay the price.  There is now no proper food to go around, and they are slowly wasting away as the few reasonably sized opposing cells are consumed by the progressively more and more desperate blue team.  They are no longer working together, fighting over what few scraps of food they can get.

And then it happens, in the desperate search for food the Blue team matriarch 'poopface' has split far too many times and a feeding frenzy begins among the smaller teams eventually leading to a member of the red team, dubbed 'Stalin' by the researchers, becoming the new top cell in the grid.  Stalin quickly overpowers many of the other cells of the blue team, them too also weakened by their lack of food, and the grid is back in balance.

Nature is all about balance... Fascinating.
[/national geographic voice]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 03:22:01 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2015, 05:02:48 pm »

Just had a good round in ffa. Well, it started pretty rough, with every other cell splitting to eat me regardless of size or sense. A third of them probably got eaten almost immediately after.

One in particular got me three times: No Collusion. This one hovered around third place for quite a while, and was an apt opponent, firing spikes at me when I tried to do the same. I eventually got him, though, and with the help of Team Up? got my first 1st place.

I didn't hold the spot long, as Team up? Had a lot of friends. I stayed in 2nd for a while though, until I got pooped by a parasite on the edge. Most of my mass went to Team Up? and I was out. A good time to stop. It was nice, once i got into the top five, having a group of honorable cells to work with. Team Up and I even took down another of near equal mass by sharing mass and boxing him in. And, even though I popped him out of revenge for what I saw as needless antagonism (attacking a cell well below his weight class) I was impressed with No Collusion's skill - he didn't stay long out of the top spots.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2015, 05:08:55 pm »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »

So, for anyone who is interesting in recognizing fellow bay12ers after one particularly annoying night, I now usually play as "Cunty McCunt" or some variation thereof.

WARNING: May exhibit irrational and cunty behavior.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2015, 05:55:28 pm »

I'm usually China in FFA, just so that I can piss off the HKGs in the Oceania server.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2015, 01:47:01 am »

The feeling when you're completely enclosed by massive leviathans in FFA mode.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2015, 02:02:35 am »

Honestly this is less of a cell based game and more of a social structure based game.
Crack-a-lack-a
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22