Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The First Seven Dwarfs  (Read 4666 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: The First Seven Dwarfs
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »

I still do my default setup despite the huge improvement to herbalism, but boy does booze variety become a thing of the past with fruits. It may be a bit more inefficient but I still like to stick with dwarfy booze/food and go the plump helmet splosion route, so bring along a single grower to manage the farms. 2 miners to get things quickly dug out, 1 general craftsdwarf to get the basic necessities and nest boxes, 2 military dwarves who start training to become formidable fighters for those freak attacks in the first year otherwise they just become legendary and sit around killing off giant wildlife. I like having a general armor/weaponsmith for moods and to train them up earlier since weapon and armour quality hugely affects your dwarves' combat prowess. Taking out the easily made wooden items such as wheelbarrows, stepladders, crutches, splints etc. leaves me loads of points to get 20 birds of each kind of poultry, letting me have hundreds of eggs for lavish meals by the first season. I generally like to have my food industry based around the lavish meals from eggs and later supplemented by fruits, by the first year you'll have trained up your chef and be serving the fort to decadent dining. I generally leave social skills up to fate, migrants will eventually come and have the social skills I need for noble positions.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 02:03:30 am »

Aye, the game is easy enough to bring 0 points worth of skills and flourish  That said, smithing is hella useful to pick.  Preferences make a huge difference early on- I believe its the equivalent of 2 extra quality levels on average  So unless you settle on a volcano or make a beeline towards magma forges, starting with an armorsmith that likes bronze/iron/steel will save you tons of time making coal and banging out trash pieces.  Diagnoser is another- its awkward to level and a pressing skill to have when !FUN! starts..  Mechanic quality for cage traps and levers are irrelevant (only for to hit/chance to jam on weapon traps+value) so I tend to skip that.  I also load up a dorf with trading+ useful social skills (consoler) that lacks ANY item preferences (or easy ones like barrel).  This guy is groomed to be mayor (no annoying mandates or micromanagement to reinstall him).  Mason and carpentry level fast enough too.  Make blocks and bins/pots on repeat after churning out some crappy furniture for now (7 beds and dining room tables/chairs).  A couple military dorfs (favoring armor user to equip heavier pieces sooner) pairs well with that armorsmith.  5 extra armor use points lets a dwarf go full metal off the bat.  You can immediately pierce the cverns for "live training" for extra hides+meat.  You'll have the Doc to patch them up too :P I only plant-gather early on (no enemies and so much quicker food), but still bring a grower.  Unskilled farmers can fail at planting, and I'll want reliable farms to balance production chains (textile/dyes usually) sooner or later- its much safer once ambushers and beasties begin to visit anyway... Totally not kidding on how gathering out-strips farming though.  In thick biomes with a skilled herbalist we are talking several hundred a season... without tree picking!

Cooking quality only effects value (not happiness), and dorfs happily eat most foods rawr.  Combine the expoity nature of roast values (they get 5 stacking value multipliers!), the need to keep wealth low early, and the utter lack of necessity for one (no penalty for eating raw food) and I can't fathom wassting points bringing one.  You have more pressing tasks to see too first before dealing with flour/liquid foods.  I suppose if you really want to push early wealth through the roof... I feel the same way about bringing craft skills.  Wealth is to be minimized early on, and crafting often becomes a dump task to clear out stone/busy work.  Churning out rock/wood pots will level it just fine- who cares about pot quality!? 

I bring some lye with me too. Making it is a serious bother.  I can just throw up a quick soapmaker after butchering pack animals and get a few years worth of soap out of the way.  I also ditch all cloth and bring 20+ units of 5 cost leather.  While the smith is hammering out armor and tools and the miners are carving out my fort, someone can make tons of seed bags to keep my food stockpiles from flooding.  I also bring sheep to shear.  I've never liked the free-food nature of pigs and egg-layers (the animals never eat but keep making food!) so I dont bring those.  Instead, the remaing points usually goes into a mountain of coal. 

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:51 am »

Wealth brings migrants, and you really want some migrants early on, to have about 15 militia-trainees and 10 skilled workers and 10 haulers.
Here's my current set of brave founders:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmm I better add some mechanics skill, and axe skill.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:47:36 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:27 pm »

Wealth brings migrants, and you really want some migrants early on, to have about 15 militia-trainees and 10 skilled workers and 10 haulers.

The first two waves are hard-coded to be random and ignore wealth entirely.  This is why you "minimize" wealth- not avoid it altogether.  Trying to buy oout the first caravan or two is a great way to get ambushes and sieges within the first year of play-time.  The first time I discovered how much $$$ roasts bring in was the first game I got ambushers within first year.  You want defenses up and a handful of dorfs with at least leather/bone armor training (from first ccouple of hard-coded waves) training before you push wealth.  Besides, you'll want your stockpile-chains and basic industries running smooth (with bedrooms set up in advance) before gaining 20-40+ dorfs at a time. 

These hard-coded waves are between 2-10 (again, ignores wealth), so give you an average of 12 more dorfs.  After the second you should have basic defenses up (one entrance into base with bridge to seal off) and your basic industries (mostly food/booze) set to a large surplus.  Then you push just enough wealth to buy some useful things from caravan- but I keep it under 10k $ Its the caravan specifically that influence wave sizes, so after it leaves I switch back to minimal wealth mode.  That next summer I tend to go nuts and really push wealth (100k in trade goods) to get those fat migrant waves.  At that point I have my armor/weaponsmithing in full swing and more advanced defenses starting up (drwowning chambers, ballistae death-corridors) and a secured reservoir supplying the hospital- as well as a trained core of metal-equipped soldiers.

I will admit that the invading army changes can drastically push back the first gobbo attacks, so there is a safer margin for pushing wealth earlier.  Undead and megabeasts/FBs will still threaten you, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3]