Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roll20 DnD5e Campaign — World Generated Using DF  (Read 2430 times)

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Roll20 DnD5e Campaign — World Generated Using DF
« on: May 03, 2015, 08:40:45 pm »

Hey all, just thought I'd post a link to a Roll20 campaign I'm hosting. Most of the details are in the LFG post.

I thought it would be great to have some folks from Bay 12 in the campaign (ideally everyone, really). I used DF extensively to create the setting and will continue to use the Legends exports to create adventures, narrative arcs, etc. I created a map for the world (see below) that got some love over on the subreddit. But I know it would probably be best that I didn't post this call to arms over there.

Anyway! That's all folks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll20 DnD5e Campaign — World Generated Using DF
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:46:03 pm »

I'm interested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:48:04 pm »

Almost jumped in on this

And THEN I remembered I don't have 5th edd books

Dag nab it!

I really want to try playing a Warlock someday.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:59:17 pm by Neonivek »

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:07:06 pm »

I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:12:04 pm »

I kind of want to apply anyway just to see how well I'd do.

Why not! There is no harm in a rejected application form :P

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 09:18:21 pm »

I kind of want to apply anyway just to see how well I'd do.

Why not! There is no harm in a rejected application form :P

You are totally welcome to do this. Also, as far as rulebooks go, I'm not expecting anyone to actually have them. I'm happy to relay class features and whatnot to people. And if what you want falls within the purview of the Basic Rules, those are available online.

I generally play with loose rules anyway. If something makes intuitive sense, no reason to prohibit players.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:32:10 pm »

How did you make that map?
Shoes...

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:35:03 pm »

How did you make that map?

GIMP, mostly. With plenty of help from dfhack, isoworld and Legends Viewer.

This reddit thread has some more details about its creation and an earlier version of the map. I used this guide from the Cartographer's Guild as a reference.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:09 pm »

Huh, that's actually a pretty clever idea.

Wouldn't it use DnD style monsters though? Unless you have a way to make all the DF baddies in DnD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:01 pm »

Done and applied. :P I'll look forward to what you have to say about it :P

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 09:51:12 pm »

Huh, that's actually a pretty clever idea.

Wouldn't it use DnD style monsters though? Unless you have a way to make all the DF baddies in DnD

The glory of DF and of DnD is that everyone has access to the raws. It's pretty easy to invent DnD stat blocks for DF monsters based on their capabilities, behaviours, etc in DF.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 10:06:07 pm »

Have no interest in joining, but I do want to say it's an interesting idea, and it might be neat to see how things play out. DF basically generates deathworlds at their kindest, so seeing what sort of campaign is playing in one peaks the interest.

Swaths of the countryside regularly blanketed in death dealing (if you're lucky -- the unlucky ones survive) rains and fogs, miles upon miles of wasteland that spontaneously reanimate the dead, living and murderous god-things roaming the land, regular demon incursions and entire nations subverted by inhuman and incredibly deadly infiltrators, entire wide-ranging and powerful species of cannibals, multiple other ones with a penchant for stealing children, widespread slavery, all sorts of incredible nastiness and then there's everything that lurks in the depths. DF worlds are places adventurers go to die :D

Place is arguably worse than even normal DnD, which is itself a hellworld par excellent. Which is what makes it attractive :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 10:30:33 pm »

I am going to ask how you made that map one day >_< my last attempt at a map was... not that good.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 02:01:29 am »

If only I had D&D 5 books....

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:17:11 am »

If only I had D&D 5 books....

I don't think you'll need them. I + other players can look up class stuff for you, and you only need to reference them at level up anyway. We'll be using homebrew subraces, so you're good there too.

The Basic Rules should cover most (though not all) of the important stuff. And 5e is pretty rules-light anyway. If you're interested, apply!
Pages: [1] 2