Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Software Inc. - Game Dev Tycoon (on crack) + Sims  (Read 20977 times)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Software Inc. - Game Dev Tycoon (on crack) + Sims
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2015, 01:19:23 pm »

you get their profit then?

they, as Graknorke said, cease to exist.. but because you have their IP[split between stockholders], you now sell their products, so you DO get the profit off future sales of those products.. generally that only matters if you buy them right after they put something on market though i guess. but you do get their cash reserves [split between the stockholders].

and because the way stock is valued atm, cash reserves make up the vast majority of a stock price, so almost always you get around the amount of money the company was worth.. meaning buying companies is actually profitable, weirdly.

patches come like, every couple days though, so no idea how long this will last..
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:21:16 pm by Rift »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2015, 01:22:16 pm »

generally that only matters if you buy them right after they put something on market though i guess

No that is pretty accurate mostly because of how the market works in this game... People feel rather finicky.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:11 pm »

Sale price of the company does not take into account future profits... don't they account for that in reality?  And there is no government stopping you from becoming a mega monopoly... also, no political bribesdonations to to let that happen.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 02:52:30 pm »

Sale price of the company does not take into account future profits... don't they account for that in reality?  And there is no government stopping you from becoming a mega monopoly... also, no political bribesdonations to to let that happen.

There's no PAC's or lobbyist firms to hire? LAME

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2015, 06:22:22 pm »

ptw.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Oirestel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 08:21:36 pm »

Beta 4.4 brings... more ways for your employees to be unproductive! Now with multi tile couches! TVs! Books! Waiting chairs. Presumably for some sort of customer interaction? Personally, I think giving them toilets is too much. The fact that they won't use toilets out in the open is a sign of weakness.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 08:26:05 pm »

Sadly, we won't be getting customers/etc. on the lot any time soon. Developer has stated that they're supposedly too much strain on the pathing AI system.

EDIT: Dev seems to be planning for more employee need-related things. Apparently an actual kitchen/cafeteria is planned. TV I think just increases productivity/something like that in the room.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:31:55 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Oirestel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2015, 08:36:08 pm »

... So what does one do in waiting chairs? I guess the kitchen/cafeteria makes sense, ala modern high tech companies. Does that mean we'll get to make them work 80 hour weeks? xD

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 02:39:31 am »

'Other' employee needs?

I sense an upcoming stripper pole.

Bonus points if they also include a vibrating bed.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2015, 05:32:52 am »

'Other' employee needs?

I sense an upcoming stripper pole.

Bonus points if they also include a vibrating bed.
Make the highest tier of office chairs into Sybians.
Many happy employees yes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2016, 12:38:52 pm »

RISE

Hit up the testing branch for Alpha 8.

A couple questions for long time players:

How do you prop up your own personal store without dropping all other distribution? 10% popularity is not very good.

How do you get an operating system out in less than 3 years even with about 50 designers and 70 coders, all dedicated to their 1 task? I have a night and day team for both Designers and Coders. They're all quite happy in their teams and most are max skilled in every aspect. My first OS in the 90's took forever and had a thousand or so bugs even with an SCM. It cost 5.7 million US to make.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2016, 09:46:47 pm »

This is pretty sick, I was just lamenting the deficiencies of Game Dev Tycoon, mainly the following real history part which makes half the shit you do in the game a waste of time.  Put it all in the atari jaguar, I can tell this one's gonna be a hit.

It also lacked sufficient room for fuckin' around, which is 100% of the appeal of sims.  You create the underlying systems and their interactions and you give me the freedom to do stupid shit with them and see what happens. All you could do in GDT was make silly names, everything else just gave you lower numbers and made you lose.

I'm optimistic about the fuckin' around potential for this one, considering how much you can do with it.  Pemis Interactive Software Solutions has just opened its doors, and under the leadership of the visionary Brandrew Pemis it's safe to say that soon PISS will be on everyone's lips.
Shoes...

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2016, 09:56:41 pm »

RISE

Hit up the testing branch for Alpha 8.

A couple questions for long time players:

How do you prop up your own personal store without dropping all other distribution? 10% popularity is not very good.

How do you get an operating system out in less than 3 years even with about 50 designers and 70 coders, all dedicated to their 1 task? I have a night and day team for both Designers and Coders. They're all quite happy in their teams and most are max skilled in every aspect. My first OS in the 90's took forever and had a thousand or so bugs even with an SCM. It cost 5.7 million US to make.

1. You can't really without releasing exclusives, similar to real life. That's why the windows games stores suck and steam is so big, because steam is usually the only place to get a copy of that PC game. around 10% is fine though, it's the same popularity as the other ones usually. What I do is I'll have a small team and just put out a bunch of games on it, maybe lose a bit of money in the process but whatever.

2. I dunno, I get them done quicker with smaller teams. I normally just assign people to any task so they bump up their skills in both categories, so I just have teams of super skilled people on it. Something that does speed up productivity is making sure your employees are happy, making sure they have a competent leader and a meeting room to meet, and making sure they have the best equipment for their tasks (calculators for programmers, sketchbooks for artists, etc.) I haven't played the beta on the testing branch though so YMMV.

It also lacked sufficient room for fuckin' around, which is 100% of the appeal of sims.  You create the underlying systems and their interactions and you give me the freedom to do stupid shit with them and see what happens. All you could do in GDT was make silly names, everything else just gave you lower numbers and made you lose.

It's because GDT wasn't a sim, it was just a casual management game, which leaned towards the casual side more than the management side. Might as well have been a flash game for how deep it was. Software Tycoon is a legitimate sim, with some serious simulation going on in the background that GDT doesn't have. Popularity of stuff makes sense in this, and if your software isn't selling well, the reasons behind it usually are clear, and are usually something you can address, whether it be by bumping up marketing, porting it to more popular OS's, or ensuring the followup product is of better quality and receives more marketing in the dev phase.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2016, 12:46:22 am »

I had a blast and was impressed with this game. Will definitely hope it gets well developed, and there are mods that add fun stuff already. It's been a while since an Early Access game made its way into my "WATCH THIS, DAMN IT!" list.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2016, 01:42:42 am »

Would definitely recommend it, I've already put over 40 hours into it over the last year and I enjoyed them all. Gonna have to try some mods next time I play.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7