Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: You are a Vampire  (Read 8472 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Vampire
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 06:41:56 am »

You take a look at the stream and panic for a moment when you can't see your reflection, then realise that you aren't looking at it from the right angle.  You look... awful, but in a hangover kind of way, not a monstrous hell-beast kind of way.  You wash your face a little and try to get some of the vomit out of your clothing, then stumble back towards town.

You wander past various travellers moving through the town, trying to beat down the all-consuming thirst you're feeling long enough to get back to the tavern.  The main streets of the town are lined with various shops and converge at the covered marketplace and bridge, but the tavern is a little short of that.  As you approach, you pass a butcher's shop and stare into the window.  The rich, blood-stained cuts of meat hanging from hooks and laid out on the display boards don't really look appetising to you, but you can't stop staring at the butcher (a red-headed human woman) and her throat.  You can almost hear her blood pumping.  She catches your eye and you hurry away.

Not encouraging, all said and done, but you refrain from just leaping at people in the street and savaging their throats out.  You really, really need to drink something, but you're not actually being driven mad with thirst yet.  Thinking of thirst you find your tavern, the Cock and Crow, and settle into the taproom.  The publican (a burly bald man with thick forearms and a scowl, busy cleaning glassware) informs you that you're going to have to pay for the damages from last night.  You have better things to worry about, so that, another night's room and a mug of ale sets you back a silver piece.  You pay it and scurry over to a corner seat to nurse your beer.

You give the beer a tentative sip.  Not bad.  It doesn't quench your thirst, but it's still pretty tasty in an alcoholic sort of way.  You don't find yourself needing to throw it up either, not like with the water, although you think that might have been a side effect of drinking so much your belly was on the verge of distending.  As you muse on the matter, a hand clamps you on the shoulder.  You look up into the warm eyes of your companions and fellow travelling minstrels, a silver-haired elf maiden, Omo, and a sandy-haired human girl, Nym.

"There you are!" says Nym.  "Been looking for you all morning.  You end up passed out in a ditch again?"

You can't help your eyes from trailing from her smile to the pulsing vein on her neck.

Spoiler: Khala (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 06:59:07 am »

Pay Nym an obscene amount of money to get us meat with no questions asked.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 08:00:10 am »

Tell Nym no, we actually woke upa few miles outside of town, which was actually worse than a ditch, because that would have meant not having to walk so far. Apologize for not chatting more but explain that we're not feeling quite all right just yet, and need a little time to put ourselves together.

Approach butcher, ask for a mug full of fresh blood drippings from some of her hanging meat. If she asks, shrug and say it's a kobold thing.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 02:39:26 pm »

"Worse, a couple of miles out of town, and I have a splitting headache."  You play off your obvious discomfort with a sharp-toothed smile.  "I need a bit of time to pull myself together yet.  I'll catch up with you later?"

"Well alright, but we're going to be playing the fair this afternoon.  Turn up soon or we're taking your split."  Nym flashes you a grin.  "See you at the fair."

You wave them off, polish off some of your ale and head out towards the butcher's.  The butcher looks at you with a little surprise when you enter, then narrows her eyes.

"I'll tolerate no thieving here, you hear me?  I've got a dog out back that eats thieves."

You hold up your hands.  "Hey, no worries from me, mistress.  Just here to buy."

The butcher looks a little taken aback, then recovers with a bit of bluster.  "Oh, well, that's alright then.  Don't see educated kobolds often.  What do you want?"

"Well, this might sound a bit strange, but could I buy a cup of blood off you?  It's for-"

"Oh, why didn't you say so!"  The butcher's eyes light up on the mention of something familiar.  "Making some black pudding are we?  You know I can sell you some of that direct if you like.  Slaughtered the pig this morning."

"Oh!  Ah, yes, it's for black pudding.  I mean, no, I'd rather make my own, thank you.  Just the blood will be fine."

"That's alright.  Let me pour you a jug."  The butcher heads into the back room and returns with a small stoppered jug.  You notice her take a surreptitious glance at her inventory, just in case you've nicked anything.  "With the jug included, that'll be fivepence."  You hand her a silver shilling, take your change and leave after bidding her thanks.

You make your way into a back alleyway, check for anyone passing by, then open the jug and take a swig of cold blood, clotted in places.  It tastes surprisingly good, and it takes the edge off your craving, but it doesn't really quench your thirst.  It should hold you for now, but you feel you need fresher than this to sate your appetite.  Where and what from here?

Spoiler: Khala (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 03:03:55 pm »

Play the fair. Keep an eye out for potential victims.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 03:40:40 pm »

Become the Dark Knight Kobold.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 03:53:34 pm »

Go hunting in the woods.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »

Go hunting in the woods.

Even if we get vampire super attributes, we are still Kobold Sized with nothing more than a dagger to defend ourselves with. I doubt wandering the woods alone would be the best idea.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »

Weren't we just in the woods? A path through the woods? I'm talking about squirrels.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 04:50:24 pm »

True. We can catch Rats in town though. Squirrels also work.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 05:30:08 pm »

Squirrels are less likely to be disease carriers.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »

Vampires are immune to disease.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 06:11:49 pm »

We don't know that. We aren't burned by the sun. Plus I would assume that healthly blood is better.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 06:52:25 pm »

We have a whole jug. we took a single swig. Why don't we simply drink more of it?

If freshness is the problem, just tell the butcher we'd like something more fresh, and ask her where/when to get something freshly slaughtered. When you hangup a pig and cut its throat, there's more blood than we could possibly fit in our stomach, and they're unlikely to even charge us for it since it's a terrible nuisance and makes a huge mess and gets sticky and gross. Offering to take away some of the blood would be helpful more than anything else.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 07:29:58 pm »

Nah. We better keep up The Masquerade for a while. Don't want townsfolk to hate us for this. We'll probably reveal it one of the inevitable future battles. Are we the magical type of bard and do those even exist?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9