Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: JA2 1.13 Steam Installation  (Read 5443 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
JA2 1.13 Steam Installation
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:50:57 pm »

I've been spending the past 5 hours trying to find ways to install Jagged Alliance 2's 1.13 mod, and none of them have worked so far, so I thought I'd try asking here for any help. I've got the steam version of Jagged Alliance 2, if that might help, and my last few attempts at getting it to work usually resulted in the game telling me that I'm missing binkw32.dll, or another file.

Can anyone help me with this? I feel like I've been slamming my head into a brick wall.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: JA2 1.13 Steam Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 09:19:41 pm »

does the game run fine before you try to install the mod?

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »

does the game run fine before you try to install the mod?

It was running fine when I played it after installation, but just to make sure I reinstalled the game and tried again. It still runs fine with a fresh install.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 09:39:44 pm »

hmm, and for 1.13 you're installing the latest stable release (v7435) and the hotfix (v7609) on top of that?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 09:43:56 pm »

I assume you've been watching Jef play? =3

I had 1.13 installed before but it was an old version. First I completely removed the game and deleted the game folder (to make sure all the mods were gone) then reinstalled JA2 through Steam (you might not have to do this if you have a clean install). Then you can download the newest version (which is 7435) and the 7435 to 7609 patch which I have assumed you've done already. Then... well, it's just a matter of moving/overwriting the files in the JA2 game folder with the mod, and then the patch, and finally run "zPatch.bat" which should now be in your game folder and follow the instructions in the prompt. Now you can run the game through "INI Editor.exe". I haven't tried playing the game without launching it through INI Editor, but at the very least it's a good idea to launch it the first time using that tool.

EDIT: You can probably use the automatic extrator to overwrite files but I don't like automatic extractors because I never know what subfolders it will decide to put stuff into. I just extract them to an empty folder then manually move the files into the JA2 game folder and overwrite anything it asks to. I think if you point them directly to where the game is installed it should work, haven't tried myself though.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:48:28 pm by OzyTheSage »

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:47:33 pm »

I assume you've been watching Jef play? =3

He maaaay have influenced me to play it again. :P

Aaaaaand I just... Realized that... The first download presented isn't the release version.

Uhh, I'm guessing that the "Current official Update Version for Release 7435: Build: 7609, 25 October 2014" is the hotfix?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:50:05 pm »

Yeah, on the website the download the the red text is the patch (Current official Update Version for Release 7435: Build: 7609, 25 October 2014), the download with the green text is the actual mod (Current official Release Version: Build: 7435, 28 August 2014). I have no idea why they have the patch featured before the mod itself...

You might want to get the mod and overwrite the files, then install the patch again just to be safe. Remember to run zPatch.bat afterwards

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 09:52:36 pm »

I've got the main mod downloading right now, so hopefully it will work correctly this time.

And their unorthodox mod order definitely fooled me!

EDIT: ...And now I'm getting this:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:22:03 pm by jetex1911 »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 11:21:34 pm »

That comes from a broken or locked file.
Could've been corrupted or interrupted during download, or perhaps one of your scanner programs got a bit overzealous.
Just shooting in the dark here though, so grain of salt and all that.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 11:26:04 pm »

That comes from a broken or locked file.
Could've been corrupted or interrupted during download, or perhaps one of your scanner programs got a bit overzealous.
Just shooting in the dark here though, so grain of salt and all that.

I redownloaded the file twice before I was finally able to extract it. I also finally got the mod working!

Thanks for the help, guys!
Now if I can just learn how to scroll the battle-map...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 11:38:47 pm »

Sometimes... I don't know, the battle map sort of acts like a 'window' in that it can become 'inactive' somehow? Just click the minimap in the bottom right and you'll get arrow key functionality back.