Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69

Author Topic: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Raining Mecha  (Read 177356 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #840 on: December 02, 2016, 07:50:49 pm »

"So permanence of the material and or symbol is the key? Hmm..."

"No but also sort of, the electically conducting loop is so that there is an antenna of sorts. No need for carving either all in the mind."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:54:32 pm by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 10, 2016, 05:44:02 pm »

James Heign:

"Bit of both. Carry me, then when you see something you want really dead, throw me at them."

Yeah. That.
They nod and pick you up. You are now being given a piggyback ride by the stave-wielder, perhaps not the most dignified arrangement for all those involved, but it works well enough thanks to your light weight. As you enter the reception, a few of them stop to collect some shards from the crushed wolves. Soon enough, you all arrive back where the monster's corpse lies.

"I-is it dead?"
"Does it look alive?"
"N-no, but I mean, i-is it safe to..."

[TRAN: 12/2] Resistance

One of them draws their knife and, after practising the motion a few times, throw it at the corpse. The world burns octarine once more, this time, at a more comfortable distance, the arcane explosion blasting apart the weapon and deepening the crater in which its epicentre lay.

"It is now."
"Not gonna lie, you saved us a lot of trouble, I wasn't looking forwards to fightin' that thing."
"Heh, that makes two of us."

Your impromptu mount nods to the axe wielders who hesitantly approach, shields out. As they near it, their strides gain confidence and they begin sinking their weapons into its chitinous form, their cleaving blows gaining strength and certainty with each strike.

"There's somethin' we need to cut out of it. Should be the most dangerous thing there in here. Should be."

((Also, we will be ruling that, since you're so lightweight that you don't really hamper the person carrying you, and you're in a position wherein you can still exert some influence over their movement if you try, you can still use MDEF while riding them. If your MDEF roll is higher than theirs (which it will almost always will be), your roll overwrites theirs, allowing you to protect both yourself and them.

Yes, this does mean that you PCs could all gather around and form some kind of horrible aerogel piggyback totem pole that requires enemies to beat six MDEF rolls to hit, but we're reasonably confident there are enough drawbacks to that such that it doesn't become the new meta or something :P))

"I know I didn't. What's conductive loop? Please teach me. Teach me many things!"

Try enchanting again if Red can teach anything useful. It was free gun so I may as well do experiments here. See if I can construct magical antenna Red is talking about. 22 is the word for enchanting experiments.
Otherwise do easy magic... hmm, when in doubt c4. And dd. Split COMP evenly for both.

Wait for the bus.

[COMP: 2] Enchant, 22
[COMP: 2] Spell, c4
[COMP: 2/1] Spell, dd

You repurpose part of a wire coat-hanger into a loop and jam it into your weapon, you fizzle however, as does your following spell. For your second spell, you conjure an image of a pair of vambraces and rerebraces.

The bus arrives eventually, an old electric intercity coach with peeling paint and dirty windows. Sure enough, there's plenty of bodies inside it, they look like they've been pulverised with an obscene amount of force, yet oddly, the interior around them doesn't seem to have any of the impact damage you'd expect. The driver is a uniformed skeleton, it tips its hat as you enter. Waiting for you in one of the seats near the side doors, is an odd, bulky helmet with an elaborate harness that makes it quite hard to shift when fully secured and a sensor array mounted to the front, its interior is dotted with a series of electrodes. Next to it, is a sleek combat shotgun, and thirty scarlet shells for it. A note rests beneath it.

Put on the helmet before you leave. Secure it tight. The shotgun is loaded with six shells. All of those are incendiary. Think of it as a distraction. You'll have to provide your own weapons. Locate and engage the anomalous units. Further instructions will follow.

The bus speeds along all the way down to the newly battle-scarred landscape of Floor 1, dropping you off in a semi-industrial area. There are several large holes blasted into the facility to the east, to the north is another such facility in notably better condition. In the west, lie warehouses, and to the south the residential buildings lie burning.

"Jus, when I die, send me over to the Dead Hand. I want to take a look at their gear. And if Dead Hand isn't a possibility, just plop me back to an NEE base."

Summon myself a new '12 84'. Replace my breastplate with the new one, should I not fail the spell. Start looking through the various syringes and see which ones seem useful. I am going to die again soon, so I probably don't have to worry about overdosing too. If overdosing on those is a thing. Grab a few grenades and bind them together with cloth from the uniforms. Making a few grenade bundles for whatever is waiting for us up there sounds like a good idea. If we got unlimited time to prepare (and thus am able to cast another spell with full COMP) do a '12 d0' and give the result to Beirus, since his sword is now more or less useless (and if I've got time for another full COMP spell, do yet another '12 84' but for Beirus, this time).

Once the Ladlemonger's preparations are complete, he'll turn to Beirus with a grin under his skull mask.

"Ready to die, my friend?"
[COMP: 6/6] Spell, 12 84
You conjure another rune-inscribed chest plate of bleached bone and oil-like fluid.

The wind seems to have died down now and you have plenty of time to prepare, almost as if the tower is giving you the time so you can throw your best shot at it. Perhaps 'it' is convinced of victory, or it has some unknown purpose achieved in waiting you cannot guess at. Grenade scavenging produces a single bundle cluster bomb.

As for the syringes, Beirus' Equipment Check manages to pick out the five unused ones. Come to think of it, if these are the only ones that haven't been used, then it could really only mean one of two things  - their owners perished before they could use them, or, more concerning, their owners had, given the choice between using them, and death, chose death. All of them are apparently magical, which is to say that the horrible side-effects that may or may not exist aren't constrained by the laws of physics. Lovely.

You take three, one transformation, two enhancements. Beirus takes the remaining two.

[COMP: 9/6] Spell, 12 d0
[COMP: 10/6] Spell, 12 84
You conjure up an obviously evil sword of bone with glowing runes that seem to shift and whisper in the corner of your vision, followed by another chestplate with a slightly sturdier construction to the first one.

Jus gives you your resurrection options.
Spoiler: Option #0 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Option #1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Option #4A (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Option #4B (click to show/hide)

Beirus returns the grin. "Not without a fight."

Gather supplies, mostly grenades and useful looking combat drugs. Also grab an 09AIAR and an 07AIAR. Grab an extra clip for each out of the other guns.

"Jus, is there any way to hook the plasma blade into the generator to siphon power? Or any way to shut off the generator?"
[TRAN: 7/6] Resistance

The armour, takes some effort to put on due to the wrench sticking out of chest, you end up have to force it in a bit deeper before you can put it on. As soon as your hand touches the sword, a great green spark, in the shape of a hand, like those that came from the rocs your ally life-drained, arcs from your chest, reaching towards the blade. You pick it up anyway, dragging the energy back into yourself without even the slightest flinch.

You find and retrieve the firearms and associated ammunition for each easily, the combat drugs prove somewhat elusive, requiring Jus' assistance to locate the only discovering two usable syringes. They're both magical in nature, one transforms, the other enhances according to him. You also pick up three grenades.

Code: (JUS_AD_BELLUM) [Select]
Considering the generator has been controlling almost everything trying to murder you since entering this storm, I wouldn't recommend it.
Disabling the generator is easy enough, you just need to break it. The problem is that its security system has multiple contingencies and will try and eat you.

"MALEBRANCHE, you said they were pre-Fall. Any idea how they got here? I'd also appreciate knowing what you're supposed to be good at."

Recall -01 and use its gun to shoot the last two pez guys. If they haven't fought back effectively, take the time to shoot one only in the top half and the other only in the bottom half.
[UTAR vs. MDEF: 1 vs. -1] '01 opens fire on a Pez Dispenser
[UTAR vs. MDEF: 3 vs. -1] '01 opens fire on another Pez Dispenser

For once, the PUPPET works 100% perfectly. It sneaks up, for whatever measure the phrase may be applied to a giant thruster-propelled robot, behind the pair of mechanical monsters, places its STINGER behind each and executes them like a professional assassin.

It is frankly amazing how it managed to not fuck up.

You notice, sheepishly that your MUSKETEER has run out of ammunition (as it only can hold one round in its chamber). Guess it was lucky that the PUPPET worked so well.

Code: (MALEBRANCHE) [Select]
an ai on flr2 made them
old ais are re-activating and gathering, attracted by disturbances

i has magic
i can make stuff work
more powers later, need more sys rsrcs to use

Spoiler: LEVEL UP (click to show/hide)
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 10, 2016, 05:46:14 pm »

<
Turn 47
|
Turn 48
|
Turn 49
>

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aoshima Michio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ensorceler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:57:16 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Saving Captain O'Greenahan
« Reply #843 on: December 10, 2016, 08:49:15 pm »

If the boss is giving us time to prepare, let's use it. Make two pairs of '12 dd' for me and Beirus. There probably are better materials to make armor from, but I don't want to risk having the Dark Lord strike me down again for not using Necrotic magic. Probably will add some stuff into this action once the datasheet is up.

Also, I'm torn between option #1 and #4A. I'll roll some dice...

Dice say I'm going to pick #4A.

((If I were to summon a Necrotic Manticore or something, am I the only person who can Synchronize with it or can I summon it and have Beirus attempt to take control over it instead? And out of curiosity, is there an 'Armor Frame' word?))
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:31:42 am by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 10, 2016, 09:06:01 pm »

((Gum-Gum Ally Robot much?))

James Heign:

"Not a problem. It's what heroes do. Anyways. I'm fairly sure there's something here I need to fix. So... you have any idea where nearby any large broken mechanical thingamajigs might be located?"

While this question is being answered, James activates Memento Mori, trying a function of it different than normal: looking at the paths of the axe users, trying to figure out if cutting into the creature is likely to get them killed.

((I've just now realized just how broken Memento Mori is as an ability. It's basically Path to Victory, limited to death. Find paths related to self's death, avoid them? What I've been doing. Find paths to death of foe, then follow said paths? Find paths of allies' deaths, help them avoid such? Find path to death of barrier/door/whatnot? Perhaps the most powerful tradecraft of them all...))
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 11, 2016, 03:30:12 am »

22 dd. Let's suit up, helmet and techno vambraces. Soon I'll be a techno paladin.
Next to north! Stay out of sight.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 11, 2016, 11:56:09 am »

How do I waitlist?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 11, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »

How do I waitlist?
I don't think we are above the player limit, so just post a sheet. Everything you need is in the OP.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 11, 2016, 12:04:22 pm »

Spoiler: Oh Sheet (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:21:46 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Saving Captain O'Greenahan
« Reply #849 on: December 11, 2016, 04:19:59 pm »

((If I were to summon a Necrotic Manticore or something, am I the only person who can Synchronize with it or can I summon it and have Beirus attempt to take control over it instead? And out of curiosity, is there an 'Armor Frame' word?))
((Only you will be able to synchronise with it. And no, I don't believe there are any vehicle words.))

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 12, 2016, 03:52:13 am »

((I meant to take the PUPPET's gun and use it myself. I'll use more careful wording next time.))

Spoiler: LEVEL UP (click to show/hide)
"Good things to know. Terrifying, but good to know."
Order -01 to fall in behind me, and resume delivering the mystery box. Take the carcasses of the last two pez guys with us; if they're full of pre-Fall tech, I want it. While we travel, try out Work, Damnit! on my reactive armor system to see how good it is at maintenance work, and finally work up the courage to try some magic. "Well, MALEBRANCHE, you gave me magic that you can't even use, so it must be pretty good stuff." Use the magics: "a9" "11"

((If I were to summon the hypothetical Necrotic Manticore, would it telefrag me because of the enclosed space of the cockpit, or is the magic system nicer than that?))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 12, 2016, 05:23:51 am »

((I meant to take the PUPPET's gun and use it myself. I'll use more careful wording next time.))

((If I were to summon the hypothetical Necrotic Manticore, would it telefrag me because of the enclosed space of the cockpit, or is the magic system nicer than that?))
((Oh, whoops! Sorry about that!

As for getting in on the necrotic manticore market, it won't telefrag you. The, I think, only time someone successfully used magic in a frame, the effects occurred outside the cockpit.))

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 16, 2016, 04:59:59 pm »

((I think Beirus is in need of booping.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 16, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »

-snip-
Spoiler: Starting Option #1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Starting Option #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Starting Option #3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Starting Option #4 (click to show/hide)

((Just a micro-update so that Fish can select his options before the next update.))

((I think Beirus is in need of booping.))
((On it!))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 16, 2016, 05:31:16 pm »

"Hmm...I think I have a plan coming together. A poor one, but it's better than no plan. We'll have to figure out a way to get past that blast door, but after that we might have a sliver of a chance. If we can get to the generator and disable it, it might weaken or disrupt the security. We should probably use the enhancement drugs as soon as we enter. If we're lucky, they'll make us fast enough to get to the generator before we get eaten. I'm not sure how armored the generator is, but we could probably use the grenades or cluster bomb to blow it up. Or at least use them to disrupt the security if they're like the spotters, since the Alcyone shots managed to disrupt the spotters. And if all else fails, we can use those transformation syringes and go down fighting. We'll need to keep an eye on the security like Jus wanted, if only to have a better chance at staying alive, and we'll need to stay mobile. Run along the walls, on the ceiling, whatever keeps you moving and harder to hit. I assume we're as good as dead if the security touches us, so it's kind of like a highly lethal game of tag football. Sound good to you, Ladlemonger?"

Working on a plan. On the off chance the anomaly can actually hear us, transmit the plan to Jus mentally and have him relay it to the Ladlemonger. If I can't do that, then tell my plan to the Ladlemonger verbally. Still not sure how to get past those blast doors. Accept gear from Ladlemonger.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69