Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69

Author Topic: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Raining Mecha  (Read 177379 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Bloody Murder in O(log(n)) time
« Reply #810 on: October 07, 2016, 03:36:31 am »

I'll take option #2
A pale blur. An explosion. The blast grazing, but enough to spell doom. Damage indicators flare across your screen as the view spirals into glossy pavement and goes black. In crimson letters, SIGNAL LOSS burns across your vision.

You recline in your seat, it's comfortable, but not too comfortable, and one of the only parts of the cockpit that cannot be swapped out - apparently they were worried pilots would just stuff into a miniature couch and fall asleep or something. That, and concerns that tampering with the stim-injector currently pressed gently against your thigh, would result in a rather nasty case of air-embolism.

You look over your screen, augmenting your view is is a window cycling through the remaining Units 01 and 04 along with your own camera feeds to the upper left, to the lower left is your squad map, now noticeably mission the Unit 02 icon, over on the right side is the frame status and blow it, the ECM data window. By the looks of it, the core's reactive armor's back at 100%, and whatever minor scratches were dealt to the left arm, are precisely that. It was, fortunate, in some respect that you were hit in the core, the reactive armor doesn't extend too far into to the limbs.

They tried to, boy did they try, but the system simply doesn't like moving parts that much. See, located in your frame is a scavenged Dead Hand artifacts, that, when rigged and doctored together with a few additions the engineers cooked up, produces a steady stream of molasses that is then pumped through channels in the armor. Now, if something, were to strike this with enough force, then molasses violently sprays forth in seemingly larger quantities than there should be, dampening the impact. It's pretty lethal against infantry, and while it doesn't pack enough punch to menace frames that much, it's hell to remove, especially if it catches them in the cameras.

The trick of course, is to make sure that the frame's own movements don't set it off, and that it still gets pumped back into place quickly enough, which ironically enough, due to the near unavoidable leakages, often makes the system itself pretty irritating to maintain, which is compounded by the fact that while it does recharge, the plating the channels are carved into will be degraded and damaged with each impact, meaning that it becomes less effective over time. The fact that the source is located in the rear, and therefore takes more time to resupply frontal plates, doesn't make it any better.

Still, magical armor's magical armor, Unit 02 didn't have that, expendable autos usually don't have much, and right now, you're probably cursing the poor camera and comms quality. Skipping back through the occasionally pixellated and jumpy footage, you scour for clues on the nature of your assailants and their attacks, something to justify sacrificing this pawn.

You find it shortly after impact, as the autoframe was toppling out of the air, a few nice frames that manage to capture another missile and its launcher. Well, it's, probably, a missile at least. It looks close enough to one, or at least like it had a few in its family tree. Still, you're not entirely sure what it's supposed to be, it looks like someone tacked oversized avian wings to the bastard lovechild of a horse and cruise missile. At any rate, just based on the appearance and explosion radius, it's designed to take out something decidedly larger and slower than a frame, especially not a PUPPET.

In the corner of the frames, you can just make out what fired it. It's just shorter than your frame, though far slimmer, proportioned more like a person or a pillar, its form smoothly flowing down and outwards as if clad in a formal dress. It seems to glide across the ground and any real limbs, with sleeve like protrusions sliding down, fused to the "dress". The head is humanoid, with a featureless mask-like face and writhing tendrils extending from the head. It seems that its entire head has rotated backwards, another missiles emerging from the much narrower "neck" amidst a flash of sanguine light. Judging by 02's recorded maneuvers, there were several of them.

It appears, that you are fighting a small squad of pez dispensers. Overgrown, armored pez dispensers that, rather than dispensing sweets, dispense homicidal horse missiles.

You'd probably be thinking this is all rather strange if you haven't just spent the last five minutes trying to avert your eyes from the comrade who called you up for this gig enthusiastically rubbing himself against a large, blue-tinted metal box in a way that makes you feel rather uncomfortable while the hallucinatory lady who gave you magical powers texted an explanation of how it's the physical manifestation of a Fall-corrupted janitorial AI directly to your brain.

Okay, let's take a step back and summarize the situation shall we? Clear our thoughts a bit?
  • You were contacted by a comrade to transport the large mysterious box of unknown purpose. You took four transport PUPPET autoframes with you, as your LANDSKNECHT's reactive armor renders it incapable of transporting infantry, not without the risk of sugary friendly-fire at any rate.
  • You found a terminal in your frame, and activating it, hallucinated a figure who calls herself MALEBRANCHE. She gave you magic.
  • En route, you came under attack from missile strikes. You lost Unit 03.
  • MALEBRANCHE identified the box, and seemingly repaired it. Apparently, scrubbing it against something, or scrubbing against it causes it to erase "rubbish" from reality. Turns out it classifies certain explosions and shrapnel as rubbish.
  • You sent Unit 02 out on a suicide mission to scout out the culprits.

So, what are you fighting? Well, they're certainly not fellow System League units, they're too weird to be NEE, not the same kind of weird shit as the weirder Vestige stuff, and too big to be Loremaster or Dead Hand. So that rules out... literally everyone unless-

Code: (MALEBRANCHE) [Select]
targets id'd as from a pre-fall unit on flr2
must've drifted here

Well, that doesn't bode too well.

Right now, you'll need at least one of the PUPPETs to transport the soldier, and it's probably best that it, or the other carry the box. You fight better than them anyway seeing as your frame's head uni has absurdly good cameras capable of seeing the entire electromagnetic spectrum, in addition to pin-pointing electronics and living organisms through walls from great distances, whilst your ECM can disrupt all other electronics in a vaguely directed area for brief moments, which you can only presume would be effective against missiles. Well, it can go indefinitely, but it causes everything to go kooky and wrong, or so you've been told.

Your FCS is, well, it can lock onto and track a limitless number of targets without any noticeable performance loss, targets that can be as small as people or as fast as missiles, but it also occasionally prioritizes allies or pieces of furniture located beyond your visual range, so it's a bit of a mixed bag, still better overall than most.

There's just one slight problem, your weapon, is shit. The 19-MUSKETEER/SR is like a sniper rifle, but without the sniping, and it traded all its ammo capacity for being able to function as an oversized shiv. There's a reason why it's almost exclusively used by expendable autoframes after all. So yeah, the fact that this is your primary and only armament basically means you'll have to shoot a frame, shank them with your rifle, and pray that they were carrying a better weapon. Lovely.

Your frame and the other two remaining autos are currently inside the warehouse the AI box was found in.

((The LANDSKNECHT frames aren't all this powerful we swear! It's just that whenever Corsair rolls for one, the dice skip over all the weak and shitty combinations and instead decide to hand out animu deathmachines like it's Oprah or something.))

"Yeah... "

Does this ejection seat have anything for communications? I may want to tell my latest boss I'm gonna be late.
Look for pens or other writing implements.

Science: 70 90

The ejector seat indeed comes with a radio set, and now that it's no longer part of the frame, the mechanical interlocks should be disengaged, allowing the former pilot to take it with them if need-be. You find a selection of ballpoint pens in one of those mesh pen cups.

[COMP: 10/4] Spell
[COMP: 16/4] Synchronization
A metal cowry, the size of a basketball, manifests before you. Its shell is formed of solid silver, with swaing protrusions closer to tendrils of native silver than actual papillae. The body is semi-molten despite being at room temperature, or at least close enough to it that the carpet isn't burning or anything. It slowly glides around you, apparently tame.

"Hello there mates! I'm just an aerogel torso mechanic hero guy. Care to tell me if you have any beef with me? Maybe why you're here?"

If hostilities are initiated, James throws himself straight up in the air by striking the ground with one of his hands, hopefully dodging any attacks. While in the air, he then conjures his bound axe and tosses it at Stave Guy's head. If hostilities are not initiated... conversation, methinks.
"To investigate this facility and capture the unknown units responsible. You must be the, contact, they spoke of."
Same cold drawl, just a lot less intimidating give the slight stutter.
"Can you still fight?"
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Bloody Murder in O(log(n)) time
« Reply #811 on: October 07, 2016, 03:36:44 am »

<
Turn 45
|
Turn 46
|
Turn 47
>

Spoiler: Shaporia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dbuhos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aoshima Michio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pencil_Art (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blazing Glory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ensorceler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:31:53 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Post When?
« Reply #812 on: October 07, 2016, 04:08:25 am »

((Damn, missed a turn.))

Get Jus to tell us how close we are to the target. If he doesn't know or the results are vague, use Equipment Check directed above us to try and pinpoint the anomaly artifact. On the off chance it is only a floor or two above us, use a Plasma blast on the ceiling to burn through to the floor(s), then haul ass upwards with the Ladlemonger. Otherwise, let Ladlemonger attack the birds first. If it weakens them enough to provide openings, blast then with my Bound weapon and Alcyone. If they aren't too damaged, then blast them with plasma. Regardless of the results, haul ass along the safe path with Ladlemonger, dodging when necessary, but not into the spiders.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 05:58:01 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 07, 2016, 04:32:35 am »

((That, in spite of my usual verbosity was meant to be more of a mini-update than a full turn :P

There is now a clear though convoluted path past them (well, path further up, not the elevator). Though those birds are faster than you, so they'll still be able to attack.))
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:34:42 am by Empiricist »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 07, 2016, 04:47:14 am »

((That, in spite of my usual verbosity was meant to be more of a mini-update than a full turn :P

There is now a clear though convoluted path past them (well, path further up, not the elevator). Though those birds are faster than you, so they'll still be able to attack.))
((If we attacked the birds before running, would we attack first?))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 07, 2016, 04:51:03 am »

((Yes, since you two have ranged weapons, those enhanced reflexes, and enough distance.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 07, 2016, 04:54:46 am »

((Do I actually have anything that could kill or disable those rocs other than the plasma sword?))

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 07, 2016, 05:16:57 am »

Follow after Beirus. If we stop to attack the rocs - '12 ixc' and Caladlebolg blast.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 07, 2016, 05:19:38 am »

((I mean, your ALCYONE and bound weapon might work.))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 07, 2016, 05:49:44 am »

((Welp, looks like I'll have to attack after Hawk and hope his corrosive attack gives me an opening. I guess I'd burn that last charge on the plasma sword if I have to, but I feel like this may not be the toughest encounter before we finish this anomaly. I'm gonna edit my action.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 07, 2016, 08:27:15 am »

"Yes, if not at full strength. I don't suppose you could get me some new legs of some kind? Maybe make some new ones out of the giant monster I smashed?"

Readiness to dodge continues. And so does the conversation.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 07, 2016, 11:59:25 am »

"Aww, I made a pet. I'll name you Princess Pink!"

Take the radioset out and contact my latest boss.

"Ah, hello there. I may have problems with fulfilling your request to observe what you wanted me to observe because my LATRANS got just shredded into pieces. I mean, what kind of idiot built that Alcubierre Drive? It somehow had its particle scoop disabled. Who the fuck does that? And then it got unstabilized AND IT DIDN'T SHUT DOWN! There are rules regarding this shit, and they are for reason! Find the idiot who ignored safety regulations and fire him. Now then, do you still need me to go watch places for you?"

Carefully touch my new pet to confirm its temperature.
Then draw 22 on my 09AIAR and try focus whatever magic power I have into it.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 07, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »

Comrade and the box can both stay with PUPPET-01, which should stay out of the fight. -04 can come with me to deal with the pez dispensers.

PUPPET-04 should switch to more appropriate evasive patterns, prioritizing raw speed and wide dodges over the twitchy stuff that would leave it in a missile's blast radius. Let it lead, flying overhead so it can shoot down their throats. Use the ECM as/slightly before missiles are fired by watching their internals on sensors, but keep it aimed at the pez dispensers so I don't hit -04. Run in towards their group and make use of my size advantage to pick one up, shoot its head off, and beat up on the others with it. If any fire after the initial batch, try to use my new friend as a shield.

((What is an FCS, by the way, some kind of targeting computer?))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 07, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »

((Fire Control System, and yeah, it handles targeting))

blazing glory

« Reply #824 on: October 10, 2016, 05:17:13 am »

((I'll...have to drop out, I think, recently I've had more things to deal with, along with a failing motivation to stay present, I've felt very bewildered and out-of-touch as well, due to joining so late, so..ciao.))
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69