Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69

Author Topic: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Raining Mecha  (Read 177465 times)

blazing glory

Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Saving Captain O'Greenahan
« Reply #660 on: May 13, 2016, 06:34:32 pm »

((Alright, I get it then, thanks.))

blazing glory

« Reply #661 on: May 14, 2016, 09:53:35 pm »

((Edited action, also is it possible to enchant things that already exist? Or does that need special influence to do?))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2016, 11:20:38 pm »

((There are ways to enhance equipment using magic alone, or using certain tools. You'll need know the right words for the former though.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 17, 2016, 03:56:37 am »

"... whoops"
"05 sabb" thinking of / aiming at the closest, most exposed opponent, and quickly dive behind a car, preferably one that provides at least some cover from both the goons on the roof and those at the foot of the building/wherever (We are still in the car-park right?) (use full COMP and MDEF respectively?)

((Hopefully if I'm out of sight of the mad boar it'll turn to the next closest enemy. Heh heh heh. Unless it really hates me for that abysmal Synchronization roll, in which case... dang))
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 17, 2016, 02:08:20 pm »

"Watch out for the symbols over here. They're like mines." Beirus calls down the hallway.

Wait for Ladlemonger to catch up, then keep moving towards the center. Kill any spotters I can with the ALCYONE as soon as I see them, preferably before they see us. Move quickly, before the storm can catch up to us. If I get attacked, retaliate with Bound Weapon or Plasma Sword depending on range. Dodge any attacks, into another building if I need to.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2016, 06:26:54 am »

Oh come on. What now?
Two soldiers coming towards you, that's what. They are definitely not in the best state of mind-they're firing their weapons at random. Maybe... don't reveal yourself?

James nods silently to himself...

James stays silent. Waiting for the soldiers to pass by. If they notice him, and start attacking(brainwashing, perhaps?) he dodges to the side of the bullets and chucks his bound fire axe at one of them. If they notice him, and stop shooting/whatnot... time to talk. Perhaps ask medical assistance.
The soldiers scramble past you clawing forwards and firing wildly behind them at something, though your positioning continues to ensure that none of the shots stray too close to you.. What you hear as they run past is... disquieting to say the least, if not in implication, then in sheer cheesiness.
"DON'T JUST STAND THERE, RUN! CAN'T YOU SEE THEM? THEY'RE HERE!"

Code: (SOTERIOLOGIST) [Select]
Ah, the feebleness of the human mind at work. A warning to you, for you are cut from the same cloth.
A sordid circumstance I must say, heroes ought to be made of sterner substance; mind you that is, something we've been working to rectify.
Let's see how well that's coming along, shall we?

[TRAN: 11/6] Unnatural Perception on first soldier.
[TRAN: 5] Unnatural Perception on second soldier.
Your vision shifts and you see, you see unfiltered through the cameras and filters. Though "see" isn't quite the right word, you perceive, you feel it, that otherworldly something here, placed in terms of your sense, forced into your own terms.

They appear like the phantasms you see in stopped time, pale outlines of negotiable detail and opacity. Haze. A suffocating smog, thick to the point of blinding fills the room, well, choking and blinding for those who aren't you. You just adjust your vision and pierce straight through. Within it you can see glimpses of unknown horrors of a more physical variety - gorilla-esque behemoths of swollen turgid flesh covered in shredding horns, maws of teeth, and eyes that weep fire. You see near-formless pillars of eyes, mouths and faces surrounded by foot long spikes of fractally-splitting bone that constantly seem to fall and warp forward infinitely.

Interestingly, some of them are actually occupying the same space as the other soldier as if they didn't exist. Huh, guess each one's nightmare is their own.

You find yourself unable to switch your view into whatever's terrorizing the second soldier, but you've probably seen enough to get a pretty good idea.

Congratulations, you can see them.
Don't think of them as hallucinations, they're something more palpable, real enough for you to see them at least.

You hear a whirring, one that grows louder, coming from the same direction the soldiers ran in from.

You might want to patch yourself up while you still have a bit of time.

Continue. Find my companion. Keep killing the spotters and look out for weird things. If I see something that actively tries to kill me, '12 ixc' and apply Caladlebolg.
"Watch out for the symbols over here. They're like mines." Beirus calls down the hallway.

Wait for Ladlemonger to catch up, then keep moving towards the center. Kill any spotters I can with the ALCYONE as soon as I see them, preferably before they see us. Move quickly, before the storm can catch up to us. If I get attacked, retaliate with Bound Weapon or Plasma Sword depending on range. Dodge any attacks, into another building if I need to.
Code: (JUS_AD_BELLUM) [Select]
Remember when I said you're in their activation range? They are now activating.
The masks seem to burrow into the walls, embedding themselves for protection.

[UTAR vs. MDEF: 9 vs. 1] O'Greenahan fires on first mask.
[COMP: 8/8] Whitmore's spell.
[UTAR vs. MDEF: 8 vs. 4] Whitmore ladles and spells second mask.
[TRAN: AUTOSUCCESS] Enemy resist.
You know, I'd like to eventually make an encounter that doesn't just get resolved with one side absolutely slaughtering the other with minimal effort.

The walls give way and crumble, concrete and wiring whirling around each mask at high speeds. It'd probably be somewhat threatening if the two of you didn't take that time to shoot both of them in their face analogs.

Beirus, you just conjure your weapon, and pull the trigger, discharging all four barrels. The bullets are weak, far weaker than that of a normal AIAR, so even as they plow through a gap in the tornado of debris, impacting the mask, they only manage to make a few cracks. So you pull the trigger again, and again, and again. Try as it might, no matter how it alters its makeshift armor, you just keep on finding lulls in the density of the debris that your shots can break through. Soon enough, the mask shatters, dumping the accumulated mess onto the floor.

Hawk, you don't even have to fire more than once. The corrosion wave and about half your barrage crashes against a transient weakness in its defenses, eating through it. Then, the remaining globs of that black oil slam straight into the mask. You don't see any discharge, but it crumbles anyway from the onslaught.

With that anticlimax out of the way, you two quickly (well, as quickly as O'Greenahan can manage in his cumbersome armor) slip out the side and run off towards the center. After a block or so, the pair of you come to a stop in the reception of a large office building just outside the center. You can't actually see the skyscraper in the center, but you can figure out its position quite clearly, seeing as it's the only building surrounded with storm activity so intense your enhanced vision marks its entire perimeter as a killzone. The cyclonic gale sheathing it alone could probably strip the flesh of a person, not to mention the fact that individual raindrops are registering as projectile attacks.

Swarms of spotters meander near it, currently oblivious to your presences, though that is probably the least of your problems seeing as there are a few lightning spiders arcing through air, their radiance illuminating the circling flocks of even larger ice rocs above. Burnt and embedded into the side of a building across the road is the missing LATRANS, having evidently fared quite poorly.

"Ha, found someone trying to compensate for his small dick!"

Now make sure I'm not too close the spearman, and shoot the spear with machinegun. Pray I won't miss.
[MDEF vs. UTAR: 0 vs. 1] Machinegun attack.
You fire your machinegun, displaying such shameful accuracy that you can feel your ancestors, every last one of them, spinning in their graves (and urns) at your failure. You manage to hit everything outside of five meters of your target, who proceeds to nonchalantly waltz straight towards you, swinging its burning spear forth.

Considering you're in a eight meter tall machine perfectly capable of flying out of reach, it isn't a particularly threatening sight. Yes, it's probably a capable of harming you if you let it, but so could a shiv-wielding raccoon, and no one really lives in fear of those.

(If we need to finish the current round of actions first)

MDEF Roll to the right (or just away from the cars, boar, and closer to the building in general) and then split LTAR between two slashes at both the soldiers left, 2 LTAR goes to any that have assault rifles, or just either, with the other one getting 1 LTAR.

(If not)

1f 02 sabb at the boar, all COMP (and UTAR), regardless of if it succeeds or not, carry on with the above.
[MDEF vs. UTAR: -3 vs. 12] Soldier fires on you.
[COMP: 3] Spell.
Welp, one of the bullets clips your shoulder as you dodge. It then proceeds to shatter, its fragments tumbling chaotically through your flesh, forming numerous wound channels, the armour appears to do nothing to stop the shrapnel simply being torn through. You yourself, are sent tumbling to the floor from the impact, needless to say, no part of this experience is remotely pleasant. You try to aim your spell as you fall, but it fizzles anyway, adding insult to injury. Or in this case, impotency to grievous bodily harm.

[MDEF vs. UTAR: 2 vs. 0] Soldier fires on Squire riding Ropey.
Squire, having managed to remain unscathed thanks to Ropey's supernatural agility ducks into cover further ahead. Turning to face you, he quickly scrambles across his armor, pulling out some sort of autoinjector that he tosses to you.
"This might save you, use it."

You are now bleeding out. Also, your shoulder and arm are in a pretty bad state.

"... whoops"
"05 sabb" thinking of / aiming at the closest, most exposed opponent, and quickly dive behind a car, preferably one that provides at least some cover from both the goons on the roof and those at the foot of the building/wherever (We are still in the car-park right?) (use full COMP and MDEF respectively?)
I'm not entirely sure you understand what those spell words mean...

[MDEF vs. UTAR: 2 vs. -1, 0] Soldiers fire.
[COMP: 10/5] Spell.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: OUT OF RANGE] Spell attack.
But it matters not because you miss anyway. As you leap into cover, evading the incoming hail of bullets, you cast your spell. An odor, that's the first thing you register. A horrid, nauseating odor intense to the point of being almost palpable. With a violent roar, an abyssal black discharge flares outwards from your left shoulder, the roiling energy taking on traces of a blood-red hue as it disperses. Needless to say, while visually impressive, it doesn't really do much to the people standing well out of its range.

The boar on the other hand is forced to do a one-eighty to avoid crashing into your spell.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: 5 vs. 0] Goring.
Apparently deciding that it still needs to brutally murder someone, allegiances be damned, it proceeds to charge straight back into the soldier it was initially launched at and proceeds to start goring them much to their displeasure. And pain. Mostly just pain.

Quote from: EVERYONE
-holy hell it's been over a year now and less than 24 in-game hours have elapsed-
Night is beginning to fall. Yes, night. In an underground colony in the middle of a war. It really, really shouldn't, but seeing as the designers thought it would be a great idea to put all the main control systems at the very bottom of the colony, the bottom that is apparently now overrun with eldritch fuckery, there aren't any easy fixes right now.

Though really, considering that everyone is either in the dark, in a well-lit area, or in a frame with night-vision, it's probably not going to impair any of you anytime soon.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:38:19 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - LIGHTNING SPIDERS
« Reply #666 on: May 21, 2016, 06:28:14 am »

<
Turn 35
|
Turn 36
|
Turn 37
>

Spoiler: Shaporia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dbuhos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aoshima Michio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pencil_Art (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blazing Glory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ensorceler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:30:37 am by Empiricist »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 21, 2016, 12:31:47 pm »

"Okay... good idea."

Let's do the patching up. Extract teeth, disinfect, bandage wound. Simple as that, right?
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

blazing glory

« Reply #668 on: May 21, 2016, 04:53:14 pm »

"Might" save you, great way to give a guy confidence.

Fucking assault rifles, you'd think they were going to fight demons with those.

Inject the thing into the exposed arm of my wounded shoulder and try to MDEF crawl over to wherever the squire dude is sitting, can't be that far, if I manage to get there after taking mystery fun chems then stay there and try to shoot one of the guys on the roof with my revolver.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 22, 2016, 06:44:23 am »

Why post turn with only two people?
Because blazing did a thing that will affect bigf00t in a pretty major way so that needs to be cleared so bigf00t can post something useful, and fallacy posted quick and posted an action of basically "spend turn preparing" which isn't really meaningful, so it got shoved into the turn to save turns if that makes sense.

"Okay... good idea."

Let's do the patching up. Extract teeth, disinfect, bandage wound. Simple as that, right?
You extract the tooth, and bearing the sharp sting of the disinfectant, quickly patch up the wound. Well, bleeding out shouldn't be too much of a concern now, now is getting shot seeing as the soldiers and the phantasms chasing them have just left the room. And aside from the whirring that is growing closer, all is right with the world.

Okay, aside from the colony being invaded all manner of supernatural fuckery, including magically regenerating sculptures, murderous hallucinations and indoor storms, but hey, you can't have everything perfect, right?

Quote from: Bigf00t
-no action yet-
[TRAN: 8/3] Ryles Resist.
[TRAN: 6] Ryles Resist.
Something grabs your gaze, and wrenches.

Your gaze, your thoughts, you very conciousness is torn out and brought before your fallen ally. You feel nothing, not the ground beneath your feet nor your heart pounding in your chest. You see, you hear, those are the only two sense that remain. Time has stopped and your comrade alone continues moving.

You see it, the transparent emptiness that grabs him, that lifts him up, and which starts to wring him like a wet towel. You see flesh and fabric, bone and metal melting into one another, becoming one and the same. You see his eyes burn with, and away with vibrant energies, tumerous pustules filling their widening sockets with unearthly radiance. You see the protoplasmic tendrils rise from the ground, their depthless forms ever-shifting in a mocking caricature of the mundane, their infinitesmally thin edges scything through the air.

You hear it, the hymn sung in dead tongues, a wretched, maddening melody. You know not of what they herald, nor of what they proclaim, and yet they sing on, the blaspehomous miserere building up to a crescendo. With a screech, they ignite, with fire unfit for human eyes to behold, a congerie of scintillations bubbling forth as if a pox upon the air itself. The tendrils converge, melding with that which was once a man, they spiral inwards into nothingness in perfect lockstep with the chorus of the damned.

The chords strangle themselves to a lull as the figure descends admidst the fading flames. A cruel caricature of a knight, wreathed in viscous aura that discolors the very air. Devoid of all depth, it writhes in place, pseudopods transfiguring, features forming and unforming as if in some sardonic imitation of those around it. It is an abberation, a monstrosity, vaguely humanoid with raw color for flesh and a deep red blood that it still discharges from its old wounds, its sparse armor colored orange and white.

Turning to face the frozen soldier who shot it, it raises an arm, conjuring or perhaps growing something approaching a polearm, albeit terminating with countless tendrils, stiff as if in rigor mortis. As it points it towards its adversary, you catch a brief glimpse into the tears it leaves behind, and the star-filled abyss that waits within.

Then, time resumes.

Your mind snaps back into your body, your senses come flooding back, but the song continues and the figure remains.

"Might" save you, great way to give a guy confidence.

Fucking assault rifles, you'd think they were going to fight demons with those.

Inject the thing into the exposed arm of my wounded shoulder and try to MDEF crawl over to wherever the squire dude is sitting, can't be that far, if I manage to get there after taking mystery fun chems then stay there and try to shoot one of the guys on the roof with my revolver.
Allow me to be clear - you are not possessed. You are very much lucid and in full control of your body, save for the occasional, involuntary spasm. Your little metamorphosis didn't really hurt, indeed the pain from your wound has now dulled and you feel energetic once again.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - LIGHTNING SPIDERS
« Reply #670 on: May 22, 2016, 06:44:43 am »

<
Turn 36
|
Turn 37
|
Turn 38
>

Spoiler: Shaporia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dbuhos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aoshima Michio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pencil_Art (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blazing Glory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ensorceler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:48:10 am by Empiricist »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 22, 2016, 07:14:00 am »

fallacy posted quick and posted an action of basically "spend turn preparing" which isn't really meaningful, so it got shoved into the turn to save turns if that makes sense
((To be clear, when we say it isn't really meaningful, we mean it doesn't really affect his circumstances that much, so it made sense to just run it now rather than forcing them to wait a week to confirm that James patched himself up.))

((Welp, with any luck, the implications of this might excite Beirus if he still remembers. And it only took us over a year, so I sure hope it's worth it :P))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

"Huh. Did time just get distorted? In any case... I'd better be ready for this... I know a boss fight when I hear one."

James draws his axes and prepares for battle.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 22, 2016, 03:50:06 pm »

fallacy posted quick and posted an action of basically "spend turn preparing" which isn't really meaningful, so it got shoved into the turn to save turns if that makes sense
((To be clear, when we say it isn't really meaningful, we mean it doesn't really affect his circumstances that much, so it made sense to just run it now rather than forcing them to wait a week to confirm that James patched himself up.))

((Welp, with any luck, the implications of this might excite Beirus if he still remembers. And it only took us over a year, so I sure hope it's worth it :P))
((Oh, oh, this is that thing! I vaguely remember it, but I'm excited to get one. Also, nobody has used the matches in a year either. I want to see those.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

blazing glory

((A tentacle broom and a vacuum cleaner, I have to say Elderitch warping has a strange perspective on firearms, wonder what the vacuum does.))

((Is there a way to tell if I have any enhanced physical capabilities right off the bat? Could I try to jump on the roof?))

TZINACAN, what...is this? Should I be concerned?

Although I have to say, so far I quite like it!

Spend 3 UTAR firing on the final soldier, try to send a spell of f1 sabb towards the two on the roof with 2 UTAR, although hopefully it won't need it, spend my MDEF sprinting to the warehouse's door, take a swing at the boar with my cleaver on the way there with all my LTAR.

Killy! I'm getting my ass indoors! I'd advise you do the same!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:48:24 pm by blazing glory »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69