Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 69

Author Topic: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Raining Mecha  (Read 177470 times)

blazing glory

Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Saving Captain O'Greenahan
« Reply #645 on: May 06, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »

((DON'T F#KING DOI IT THEN CAP'T'N!))

((No way it's succeeding independently.))

Do a more mundane spell, 22 ixc, fight the guards.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 10:02:01 pm by blazing glory »

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 07, 2016, 11:32:38 pm »

((In that case:))

LUCK POWERS, ACTIVATE!

Cast "22 03 sabb" (full COMP) thinking of and aiming at either whatever guards are standing closest to one another or the furthest guard. If the TRAN roll succeeds (and if I get one) direct thy new noble beast to ATTACK!

Direct my follower (on horse or not) to also join the fray, and to help us murderise guards as he sees fit

"Remember what you said about taking the fight to their chattels etc? Your time has come!"

Ready my blade, take a deep breath and once my and my ally's spells are cast... !!CHARGE!! at the nearest enemy! (and you know, kill/incapacitate them. The usual)

((Only now am I thinking of the ethical ramification of murder, and thinking that maybe... MAYBE we could have talked our way in. Oh well. Next time.))
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

blazing glory

« Reply #647 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:35 am »

((Only now am I thinking of the ethical ramification of murder, and thinking that maybe... MAYBE we could have talked our way in. Oh well. Next time.))
((But if we failed they would've gotten the first shots and that would suck, also I wouldn't be able to get GLORIOUS COMBAT PRACTICE.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 10, 2016, 07:01:48 am »

((Apologies for the delay, mid-semester assessments and whatnot have been keeping us a bit busier than usual. Turn should be up tomorrow assuming we're able to contact each other then.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 11, 2016, 07:11:05 am »

"The Ladlemonger has arrived! I have vanquished the roc!"

Go inside the building and look for the one they call O'Greenahan. Should I notice something hostile (which would mean the lighting spiders and the spotters that Beirus mentioned) - let it feel the wrath of Caladlebolg. If I see something weird - throw a ladle at it and apply Caladlebolg if it proves necessary. But before doing any of that, cast "12 otrm".
[COMP: 17/7] Spell.
That familiar black oil pours from the palm of your non-dominant hand, swirling outwards. It expands to approximately one meter in diameter. Pausing time, you see that it will react to your movements. Should you try to cover yourself with your arms, it will flow over them like armor; if you two-hand Caladlebolg, it becomes wreathed by the spell; and if you summon your other bound weapon, the assault rifle, it will form a shield expanding from just over half-way along its length.

Well, looks like you've figured out a defensive spell. One that uses Static Defense, you know? That stat that none of the the active PCs actually uses?

You walk into the building, nonchalantly killing two spotters via corrosion without even pausing. Hugging a wall, you manage to get past the elevator without getting electrocuted or flashbanged by the angry spider within.

Broadcast with speakers if I have external ones, use radio if not: "Greetings, Ao Shi is back. I see party started while I was getting the big guns. Now let's pull the plug from these party lights!"

Start shooting strobes with the turret. If Red can assist with targeting (Bio scan) to measurable degree, then use it too. Objective is to eliminate as many strobes as possible to give soldiers better change to see actual enemy.
Time holds and eight silhouettes appear, overlayed on top of the target area. Seven strobes, loosely clustered.

After running over the procedure a few times, time resumes and you input the seven into the assisted aiming system of the frame and open fire on the strobes.

[UTAR vs. SDEF: 6 vs. INEFFECTIVE] Machinegun attack.
The Bio Scan doesn't really show you much beyond their initial positions, so it still comes down to a bit of spray and pray, but seeing as, after an initial burst of light, there's no clusterfuck of lights remaining, you're reasonably certain you hit all seven of them.

A blur of motion. Amongst six soldiers. During your attack, the spearmonster moved into action deciding to throw in it's lot with a flank rather than waiting and getting shot at (go figure).

[LTAR vs. MDEF: 3 vs. 0] Spearman attacks soldier.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: 0 vs. 0] Spearman attacks soldier.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: 3 vs. 0] Spearman attacks soldier.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: 0 vs. 0] Spearman attacks soldier.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: 1 vs. 0] Spearman attacks soldier.
[LTAR vs. MDEF: 2 vs. 0] Spearman attacks soldier.

With a single wide sweep, four are doomed. Flames formed of shadow dance along their writhing forms, their edges delineated by a brilliant neon, its radiance rivaled only by the sheer sleaziness of its ever-changing color scheme. Screeching maggots of hellfire erupt forth, both from their wounds and the concrete around them, as spasming tendrils of rusted barbed wire precipitate from the flames.

Its armor is streamlined and unpainted. Its weapon is shifting, growing further now.

"I... I... yes. A first aid kit would be wonderful right now."

James pauses for a moment, then gathers up several wolf head shards. His employers might find them interesting. Afterwards, he follows his handler's guidance to find a first aid kit.
Wolf shards gathered.

You creep deeper into the facility, hugging the walls as suggested by your tradecraft, and doubling back a few times, avoiding the nearing sounds of gunfire. You arrive on the factory floor and find one of the first aid kits in a convenient wall-mounted cabinet. It contains the usual assortment of bandaids, cotton balls, cotton swabs, iodine, bandages, hydrogen peroxide and comes with an inbuilt button to call an ambulance. Not that you think any ambulances will be willing to come anywhere near this floor for the foreseeable future.

Retrieving it, you walk along a path a few steps away from the cabinet and stand there, that specific spot apparently safer than most of your surroundings. Bullets begin whizzing past at infrequent intervals. Oh.

Heavy footfalls follow. Two soldiers, NEE by the looks of it, are running your way, firing apparently at random. They don't really seem to see you, and zig-zag hap-hazardly with seemingly no pattern, sometimes even bumping into the factory equipment and walls in their haste.

Beirus takes a moment to look at the symbols before speaking to Jus. "Jus, you have any idea who that new guy is? I figure he's one of us, but who is his handler? And do you know anything about these symbols?" Beirus asks before turning to call down the hallway.

"In here. Take the first left, then down the hall. Watch out for the spider in the elevator. Oh, and kill any of those watery guys you see, they're spotters for the rest of the storm."

Use Equipment Check on the symbols if I can. They're sort of like deployed equipment, right? Look outside if I can to take stock of the situation, and double check my gear to make sure it's in working order. Gotta take advantage of down time.
Code: (JUS_AD_BELLUM) [Select]
Edward 'Ladlemonger' Whitmore, a fellow NEE Armor Frame pilot. He and his squad were killed in action by a LANDSKNECHT frame earlier.
He has a penchant for magic, particularly that of a necrotic nature. One of my other recent acquisitions here.

Autonomous weapons systems. Embedded into the walls.

Outlines enter your vision, tracing in a vaguely rectangular region around each symbol, almost like a primitive mask.

They generate regions of distorted reality that produce an unnatural force. One that lets it levitate itself and its surroundings.
Think of them as antipersonnel mines, one that can chase their victims. And yes, you are in their activation range.
I'm picking up one-way communication from the storm to them. It's directing them.

I'm picking up more of your "spotters" ahead. So keep them in mind before you engage.
Good news is that I've got a read on them. More automatons, these ones with two-way communication.
They transmit target locations to the storm, so try not to stay any longer in their sights than they have to.
This storm is awfully good at focusing its energy so a repeat of that rain trick it did would be best.

All in all, very human in design. Our uninvited guest seems to have a taste for human tech it seems.

Oh, and, try not to die. Or at least, leave no body behind. Those spotters have the hardware to salvage corpses and extract data from brains.
So ice zombies. Murderous ice zombies.

You check your gear but well, it isn't looking too good.
ZGMF-SOL:18I and IW05-ALCYONE are fully operational.
The MA07-KIANG is fried however. The plating take a few more hits, but you'll be stuck lugging it around.

Do a more mundane spell, 22 ixc, fight the guards.

[COMP: 8/6] Spell.
[UTAR vs. MDEF: 3 vs. 0] Spell Attack.
Your spell activates with a flash of Bremsstrahlung as brilliant blue streaks spray into the warehouse, impacting with craters the size of golf balls in anything particularly sturdy and punching straight through anything else. Your target, a soldier with a rifle isn't even able to react in time.

The difficulty in hitting really only came from how awkward it is to aim, seeing as the spell comes from a point in front of your sternum rather than anywhere more convenient. Had it been your revolver instead, you could have read out your shots in excruciating detail beforehand - medulla oblongata, C1-C2 vertebrae gap, C3-C4 vertebrae gap. Here, you can't, but you could still tell they'd hit.

And they do, leaving for a brief instant what looks like a modern art project made out of burnt and perforated meat that promptly collapses to the floor. One of the soldiers returns fire, pale lines tracing forth in stopped time.

((Just a reminder that you can split your UTAR or LTAR pool between multiple targets if you like your odds of hitting them.))

As for fighting, uh, could you please be a bit more specific? Do you wanna run up and stab them? Shoot them? Use those matches? Use their tradecraft to start a heated argument about their private political views? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!

((Also, in future, you may want to specify what to do when they start firing back at you. Because we have no idea which direction you want to dodge in, or if you want to start trying out SDEF or something, so now there's a timestop while you figure out what to do about the bullets flying towards your face.))

LUCK POWERS, ACTIVATE!

Cast "22 03 sabb" (full COMP) thinking of and aiming at either whatever guards are standing closest to one another or the furthest guard. If the TRAN roll succeeds (and if I get one) direct thy new noble beast to ATTACK!

Direct my follower (on horse or not) to also join the fray, and to help us murderise guards as he sees fit

"Remember what you said about taking the fight to their chattels etc? Your time has come!"

Ready my blade, take a deep breath and once my and my ally's spells are cast... !!CHARGE!! at the nearest enemy! (and you know, kill/incapacitate them. The usual)
[COMP: 11/6] Spell.
[TRAN: 0] Synchronization.
[UTAR vs. MDEF: 3 vs. 0] Flying boar.
[UTAR vs. MDEF: 2 vs. 0] Squire attack.

You summon a robotic boar with razor sharp tusks and fine musculature made of metallic wires leading into elegant shining joints. It appears to the left of your shoulder and launches in that direction, straight into a group of three guards, crashing into one of them.

You charge at one of the guards and suddenly begin to see the flaw of charging those with guns while wielding a sabre without being too hot at Static Defense. Three of the six upright guards turn to face you, six which rapidly becomes four after a burst of something from your partner turns one into mince and your squire's mad spray finds its mark on another.

Time stops as two of the remaining soldiers begin firing, pale lines tracing all around you, their projected trajectories ending with starbursts of shrapnel, probably not the most legal of ammunition. You know that depending on where you attempt to move you may get caught in a corner, which, evidently won't end well, even with your supernatural agility. Especially not when a robotic boar is charging at you, murder its lenses. Two guards are on the roof of the glass building while the other two take cover behind pillars in the arcade between the warehouse and the glass building, the fifth one is near them, getting back up off the floor.

[MDEF vs. UTAR: 0 vs. -1] Shotgun soldier fires.
Judging by the predicted images coming off of Ropey, they'll be able to keep itself and its rider safe from the incoming slugs.

((May want to specify a defensive action next time, helps get more done in the turn.))
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:18:10 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - LIGHTNING SPIDERS
« Reply #650 on: May 11, 2016, 07:13:31 am »

<
Turn 34
|
Turn 35
|
Turn 36
>

Spoiler: Shaporia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dbuhos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aoshima Michio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pencil_Art (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blazing Glory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ensorceler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:30:14 am by Empiricist »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 11, 2016, 08:33:48 am »

Oh come on. What now?
Two soldiers coming towards you, that's what. They are definitely not in the best state of mind-they're firing their weapons at random. Maybe... don't reveal yourself?

James nods silently to himself...

James stays silent. Waiting for the soldiers to pass by. If they notice him, and start attacking(brainwashing, perhaps?) he dodges to the side of the bullets and chucks his bound fire axe at one of them. If they notice him, and stop shooting/whatnot... time to talk. Perhaps ask medical assistance.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:13 am »

((The protection spell is a one-turn thing or does it last a longer time? Because I see no mention of it in my character sheet.))

Continue. Find my companion. Keep killing the spotters and look out for weird things. If I see something that actively tries to kill me, '12 ixc' and apply Caladlebolg.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:34 am »

"Ha, found someone trying to compensate for his small dick!"

Now make sure I'm not too close the spearman, and shoot the spear with machinegun. Pray I won't miss.

((The core was in the spear, right?))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 11, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »

((The protection spell is a one-turn thing or does it last a longer time? Because I see no mention of it in my character sheet.))
((It's a one turn deal.))

((The core was in the spear, right?))
((The core was in a building down a nearby street.))

blazing glory

« Reply #655 on: May 11, 2016, 05:23:08 pm »

((Problem is I'm not entirely sure on the scope of what I can do in a turn, can I magic, physical action, and defense in a single turn? Or such.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 11, 2016, 05:34:24 pm »

((Currently it's that you can do an attack (against one or more targets), a defense, and a spell each turn.

Actually, hold on a bit, I'll see if I can talk over a few things with Corsair first. Might be able to make the rules a bit easier to use actually.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Stat Revamp
« Reply #657 on: May 13, 2016, 05:07:28 am »

I'll see if I can talk over a few things with Corsair first. Might be able to make the rules a bit easier to use actually.
Okay, so here's how combat goes now.

For each round of combat, you get to use all of your Targeting (LTAR, UTAR) and Intrinsic (COMP, TRAN) Pools.

Unless your targets are clustered, you'll need to split your Targeting Pools between each enemy you wish to at in any given round. So if you want to shoot two people, you'll need to distribute your UTAR between them; if you want to shoot the same person with as many guns as you can fire in one turn, you can use your full UTAR since it's still only one target. If you want to fire a directed blast of wax cats at someone and then shoot them in that order, you can use both your full LTAR and full UTAR pools separately, though chances are if the first one hits, the impact will leave them unable to evade the second one.

You'll also need to allocate your COMP and TRAN across every relevant active use of them, however any sort of check using them will still use its full value. So if you've got some sort of "Summon where the caster is thinking"-style spell you can cast it inside a PHAROAH's cockpit without putting yourself in any additional risk at becoming possessed.

Finally, you get to choose one of your Defense (MDEF, SDEF) Pools. You'll need to specify how you use it, so for MDEF you'll need to tell us in what direction you move to avoid getting hit, and for SDEF, you'll need to tell us what you use to block or intercept the attacks with. These are applied at full value for each applicable attack regardless of the quantity of attacks. So as long you are able to dodge somewhere, your MDEF will act in full against any number of bullets moving towards your face.

You can opt to not attack and instead combine your Defense Pools, you'll need to specify where to dodge and how to intercept in such a case.

There is one exception to this, and that is when you're protecting another person via SDEF. You can distribute some of your SDEF to them and specify how you intend to keep them from getting shot. Though in a lot of case, you could just stand right in front of them without sharing any SDEF, and you'll still manage to keep them safe since the attack would have to go through you first.

Make sense?

blazing glory

« Reply #658 on: May 13, 2016, 05:57:49 am »

More or less.

(If we need to finish the current round of actions first)

MDEF Roll to the right (or just away from the cars, boar, and closer to the building in general) and then split LTAR between two slashes at both the soldiers left, 2 LTAR goes to any that have assault rifles, or just either, with the other one getting 1 LTAR.

(If not)

1f 02 sabb at the boar, all COMP (and UTAR), regardless of if it succeeds or not, carry on with the above.

((Do I need to split UTAR and LTAR to any and all spells as well as attacks?))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:39:05 pm by blazing glory »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 13, 2016, 06:14:20 pm »

((Only if you're using the spell to attack someone who hasn't been allocated any of the relevant Targeting Pool.

So if you want to summon a spray of bullets at someone, and slash them with your sword, you'll need to allocate LTAR to the slash and UTAR to the spell. Because while they're already being targeted for the slash, it's by a different targeting pool.

But if you want to just throw your sword at them instead you can just use a single UTAR allocation to handle both, since both of them use UTAR.

If you want to throw your sword at a different person, then you'll need to split UTAR because then you'd be targeting multiple foes using the same stat.))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:15:57 pm by Empiricist »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 69