Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 69

Author Topic: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Raining Mecha  (Read 176423 times)

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole - Rise of the Ladlemonger: Revengeance
« Reply #585 on: April 09, 2016, 11:42:44 am »

((Can I cast multiple "spell chains" in the same turn if I have enough points? It doesn't really seem mentioned anywhere.))
((Original ruling was that you can only cast two and must distribute your pool between them. But on second thought, it should be fine to cast any number of spell chains so long as you distribute at least one point of pool to each chain. So if you still want to, just edit in your COMP pool allocation for each chain.))
((Aw yeah, that'll make some focused testing go faster and thus be less obnoxious.))
Nice, I did the maths tho, splitting up the rolls like that drastically reduces the chances of favorable rolls. And when I say "I did the math" I wrote a C program to brute force the complicated probability rules and manually count outcomes  for up to 8 die. Took about a second per "x% chance to get y on your roll" with 8 die, didn't go any higher tho, 10 die would have taken 22 years by my calculations.
It was a boring afternoon.

Despite this I'm going to throw caution to the winds, and be the architect of my own demise. To save time.

"10" COMP:7
"17" COMP:7

The MathTM says I have something about a 10% chance of getting zero or less for these rolls. Or at least the estimates I made off of my math for 8 die, because I'm lazy, haven't done actual probability math in about 4-5 years. Also I'm pretty sleep deprived right now, so sorry for that :P

Don't worry, I shouldn't be SCIENCEing for too long before I seriously consider attacking that building. Both are probably equally lethal, and I'm probably more likely to find a power source in there for my gun before I'd find words I could combine to make one.
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 10, 2016, 02:39:30 am »

((You'll be happy to hear then, that we've reworked the crit-fails so that instead of killing you, they'll just do other horrible, but less lethal stuff to you! :P))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:54 am »

Slip the Chestplate on, it's better then nothing and shouldn't be too hard to move in.

"Now we're talking."

22 d0, COMP 6.

f1, COMP 2
Armor equipped.
[COMP: 9/3] You summon another silvery sabre with a surface of shifting metal that looks like liquid.
[COMP: 1] Welp, first crit-fail since their update. Congratulations, I guess. You feel like something terrible just happened. You don't know what though.

James was silent for a moment, as he processed what he just saw.

"AHA! They regenerate from their heads!"

James pulls forth his bound fire axe and uses it to smash one of the wolves' heads in.
In future, please also specify a defensive action, because there are cases where trying to dodge is far worse than trying to block, and vice versa. Plus we have no idea which direction you'd dodge in.

[MDEF vs. LTAR: 4 vs. 1, 3] You juke and sidestep towards the entrance, the lunging wolves sailing to your side.

[LTAR vs. SDEF: 3 vs. 0] You swing, your axe manifesting in your hand, the head catching the nearest wolf right in the jaw. There's a hard impact, your wrist jostled by the collision, but far less than you'd expect. Instead, with a horrible grinding screech, it cleaves straight through the wolf, its bisected body fracturing from the blow, and shattering as it crashes to the ground.

Two down. Two left.

Your back is now against the door. One wolf to your left, the other just entering the room from the right. That, and whatever awaits you deeper in the facility, there's still much work left to be done.

"Looks like I'm the Ladlemonger for good. It's quite amazing what a simple joke can turn into, right? Not that I'm complaining. Well then, I guess I should start getting into character."

The Ladlemonger takes a quick look at the brochures, before coming to a decision.

"We shall help the NEE and System League soldiers on the 4th floor, Jus. If we get lucky, we might end up coming in contact with that AI you mentioned a while ago too."

"Actually, no. Nevermind that. I have a weird feeling that something or someone is calling me. If I were to explain this feeling, I'd say it's grossly incandescent."

+5 to COMP, +3 to UTAR, +2 to MDEF.

Psychiatrist's Psychoses Broken Heaven it is. Will myself there. Before that though - try "12 84". If it's armor and doesn't look like it might kill me, try putting it on. If it's not armor and is interesting in some other way, take it.

[COMP: 6/6] You conjure a black chest plate formed of bleached bones covered in a cohesive mass of what appears to be crude oil, burning green runes rippling across its surface. Well, no discharge is emerging from your chest, so it's probably safe. Possibly flammable, but safe.

You focus on the Broken Heaven brochure and it flies out of your hands, falling onto the floor. A droplet of water falls down, setting ripples against it, and the floor around it were but a reflection. You look up and see that it is indeed a reflection, an image in a puddle. You're back, back on Floor 3. A storm rages in the distance, its edge mere meters away. Four soldiers, clad in rain-slicked exoskeletons march over to an armored truck awaiting them. One of them notices you, quickly spinning around, assault rifle trained on you.
"Who the hell are you?"

"Jus, you know any shortcuts? Or a quick escape route? You know, just in case."

Cut through the office building and continue advancing further in, cutting through buildings if it will cut down on resistance from the storm. Reload the ALCYONE on the way, and put a round into those hooded raindrop guys if I see any. Fucking hate spotters. How much further?
Code: (JUS_AD_BELLUM) [Select]
None. I'm afraid that is the specialty of another handler, not me.

[MDEF vs. NOPE: 4 vs. NOPE] You sprint frantically, the dense raindrops slamming down upon you with enough force to fracture your armor. You discard your spent magazine as you run, your plating already beginning to buckle from the onslaught. You crash straight through the glass doors, slamming in another magazine as you do so.

"Picking up massive power fluctuations near you, O'Greenahan. Something's messing with the grid, or maybe the sensors got fucked up."

The lifts quietly crackle with spark and arcs of discharge. Probably inoperable. But there's a set of fire stairs well within reach, and plenty of building remaining to run through. Several of those figures have followed you, and a few more are in sight. Well, might as well do something about that.

You spin around, instinctively piecing the room's layout together in your mind as you retreat backwards without even looking, discharging eight ALYCONE rounds ((these figures have no defensive stats, for each point in UTAR, you can distribute it to one such target and autohit it)), quiet coughs drowned by the raging tempest. Each one finds its mark, piercing halfway into the trailing spotters and blowing them apart into sprays of water as they detonate within.

An explosion. The street outside blasted apart, twin craters where the talons, the sickle-like talons, touched the ground. An enormous bird of ice, like the ones you fought earlier, only far larger, the size of LUPUS, has descended. Lightning crackles along its blade-like claws, shining a bright octarine, the occasional stray arc blasting another crater into the ground with force comparable to a hand grenade. Powerful wings flap, bringing forth great gusts as it hovers in place, its grasping tentacles flexing as its eyeless head turns to face you, unfazed by the crushing downpour. It has no mouth, its beak just a cruel wedge of sharpened ice. It has no veins, the cyclonic wind it has for blood rushing inside and outside its body, accumulated dust and rain racing along the icy armor coating its sturdy bones.

Three blocks remaining.

"Whoah! Cool trick! Will I discover any other equally cool tricks later on?"

Right, I'm on familiar ground and I'm here on purpose. So let's go looking where my LATRANS is. Two possibilities: 1) They got it back to the assembly. 2) They left it where I died. Let's explore the options in presented order. Actually, go to my lockers first and get proper uniform. Borrowed clothes aren't best clothes.
Be relaxed and act cooperatively if soldiers want something from me.

"Seriously? you think THAT is amazing?"
Red looks piteously at you.
"I mean I am a series of layered hallucinations projected straight into your brain, but 'going somewhere quick-like' is more interesting? More wonderful?"
Red continues in mock horror one hand on her head like she was about to faint.
"Fine, yes you will, once I deem it appropriate."
She finishes with a devilish grin.

You quickly make your way through the periphery of the building toward the lockers you feel that being seen by a large number of people might be bad considering you died relatively publicly. You manage to slip into the locker room with few people noticing you. You access your locker, noting that your code works and the locker is untouched, normally that happens pretty fast, although considering the attempted assault several hours ago someone probably just forgot or put it off.

You quickly put on your uniform to help you blend in in case you encounter anyone, which while rather unlikely at 17:30, it is possible. The walk through the tunnels to your hanger is short though you have to dodge a few engineers you knew? Know? Dying and coming back makes choosing tenses a bit difficult.

Regardless of literary quandary you continue on to the hangar. The LATRANS sits there inactive and motionless. Weapons glinting in the light of the fluorescent lamps and the newly installed thrusters are untarnished by exhaust, fully installed armor. Those weren't on there before and they look to have been installed fully, not just slotted into the mounts. You get the distinct feeling that someone is watching you.

Your reflex-vision flares unconsciously as you hear a footstep behind you. A man appears, shrouded by a black trenchcoat their face is that of someone in their late 30's or so they have short straight black hair. They could probably pass off reasonably well as a wrestling heel, were it not for the fact that half their face has been replaced with liquid silver, his eye is a large glowing aquamarine orb. His hands have also been similarly changed, with metallic chitin on top of a layer of more liquid silver.

Their drawl is fast, fast enough to be entirely gibberish to anyone lacking the benefit of your powers, but coming out crystal clear to you with your distorted perception of time.
"Like what you see?"
He gestures to the frame, as if to ensure that his stoic drawl hasn't been mistaken for a horribly awkward pickup line.
"My name is Andrukas, Steel Inquisitor. Consider yourself drafted."

"10" COMP:7
"17" COMP:7
[COMP: 8/3] Another shimmering outline of a manticore, this one more normal at least.
[COMP: 3/1] An illusory wall appears. As in, the shimmering outline of a wall, not a pseudo-hologram or a piece of text promising an illusory wall along with recommendations involving horses and using both hands.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:51:49 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 11, 2016, 06:46:22 am »

<
Turn 31
|
Turn 32
|
Turn 33
>

Spoiler: Shaporia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dbuhos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hawk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aoshima Michio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pencil_Art (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blazing Glory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Ensorceler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:29:52 am by Empiricist »

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 11, 2016, 10:28:39 am »

((Is there any particular reason as to why my Necrotic Armor is in the Bindings section instead of Inventory? Did becoming the Ladlemonger give me the ability to bind Necrotic/Dark Magic items to me? Also, changing my text color since Ed is now going to constantly ham his voice up.))

The Ladlemonger replies to the soldiers' question in a grandiose manner, complete with unnecessary and exaggerated, theatrical even, gestures.

"I am the Ladlemonger, Lord of my own Undeath, Bearer of the Legendary Caladlebolg, Bringer of Decay, Champion of Eldritch AF Wrestling and Bane of Storefront Security Products. I have heard a call, and I have arrived. Who among you is the most skilled? So skilled that his feats border on the supernatural? And where can I find this fellow?"

Converse.

"Excuse me for a moment. Do not be alarmed if something explodes. Please accept my apologies if I suddenly drop dead and come back sometime soon."

Turn away from the soldiers and '12 09'.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 10:38:38 am by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: April 11, 2016, 10:34:49 am »

((Is there any particular reason as to why my Necrotic Armor is in the Bindings section instead of Inventory?))
((Yes, here at Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole, we have a minimum fuck up quota that we have to meet each turn. The mistake has now been fixed.))

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:22 am »

((Is there any particular reason as to why my Necrotic Armor is in the Bindings section instead of Inventory?))
((Yes, here at Perplexicon - Down the Foxhole, we have a minimum fuck up quota that we have to meet each turn. The mistake has now been fixed.))
((Speaking of your fuck up quota, you didn't add my stat ups.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 11, 2016, 10:42:06 am »

((...Damn it. Fixed. COMP roll for the armor is unchanged. I rolled it with 14 COMP, just forgot to update the datasheet.))

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 11, 2016, 10:47:04 am »

((...Damn it. Fixed. COMP roll for the armor is unchanged. I rolled it with 14 COMP, just forgot to update the datasheet.))
((No problem, I'm always happy to provide things you could fuck up on. Gotta fill up that quota.))

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 11, 2016, 12:47:30 pm »

To Red, probably long before encountering inquisitor. "Well dear, you are nothing new at this point. No offense, but I am already accustomed at your incorporeal presence, but please, keep suprising me. *wink* This trip however, it was entirely new experience. Not gonna be so impressed next time."

Talking to the bastard child of Silver Surfer: "Drafted? I already got a job, but I guess you got higher authority than my employer. Yes, I do like it. Much better shape than when I saw it last time. Thanks for doing my job for me! And if you have drafted me in service then I guess you have a task for me. Can it wait a bit? I got a coke powered bastard to deal with which needs more firepower and bunch of soldiers to save. I don't exactly want to leave them hanging after telling I'm gonna get bigger guns for the job."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

blazing glory

« Reply #595 on: April 11, 2016, 05:28:20 pm »

Give the saber a swing, is this shifting quality going to cause issues?

"We should probably get a move on soon."

f1, all COMP.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 12, 2016, 09:37:26 am »

((You'll be happy to hear then, that we've reworked the crit-fails so that instead of killing you, they'll just do other horrible, but less lethal stuff to you! :P))
((I am happy to hear that! Also dangnamit, didn't mean to cast "manticore" a second time :P))

"I agree"

"18" COMP:7
"23" COMP:7
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 18, 2016, 05:07:43 pm »

((Sorry about being slack on this; forum time was cut down recently.))

Better to go with the ambush.  And I know just how to foul up that mechanism.

1f 02 ulez!  I'm sure this won't go badly.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 18, 2016, 06:41:57 pm »

Beirus opens a channel to HQ. "I think I found what killed that AF you sent earlier. It's like one of those lightning birds we fought earlier, but on steroids. The damn thing is as big as a Lupus. The storm might let up if I kill it, though. That bird'll probably kill me first." Beirus states over the channel, a resigned tone to his voice as he looked at the giant bird. After closing that channel, he opens one to his squad. "This might be it for me. I don't think I'll get out of here. I guess now I'll get to test out that resurrection thing I mentioned earlier. Whether it works or not, it's been an honor serving with you all." Beirus then closed the channel and looked up towards the skyline. He had to be close to the source of this thing, and that bird wasn't going to deter him. He would stop this storm or die trying. And then maybe die a few more times after that.

Cut through buildings, try to keep some sort of cover between me and the bird while running towards the center of the anomaly. If I have to fight the bird, shoot it with my Bound Weapon on full auto. Shoot any more spotters that show up with the ALCYONE. If the bird manages to get close to me, blast it with a plasma gout or cut it with the sword.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:42:35 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 18, 2016, 06:53:08 pm »

James is surprisingly silent as he makes use of his axe to smash in the head of the wolf to his left. If he's attacked, he tries to dodge.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 69