Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plants that grow rocks?  (Read 972 times)

satan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plants that grow rocks?
« on: May 01, 2015, 07:44:36 pm »

Would it be feasible to create plants that would grow rocks and wood of every color? I would like to make a rainbow fortress and having an easy source of colorful materials would make this easier.

Also, how would one mod the game to make blood something you can cook with?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

LastGreen

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES] [SPHERE:STORMS]
    • View Profile
Re: Plants that grow rocks?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 07:53:51 pm »

the mod im currently using that makes elfs / goblins and humans playable has it so elves can turn seeds into wood at the workshop so I think a way to make "harvestable" wood and stone maybe possible.

ah here it is:

reaction_arp

[OBJECT:REACTION]

This is a file for the All Races Playable mod.

These reactions are used by the elves to grow wood from seeds and make wooden weapons and armor.

[REACTION:GROW_WOOD_ARP]
   [NAME:grow wood from seed]
   [BUILDING:CRAFTSMAN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_W]
   [REAGENT:A:1:SEEDS:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
   [PRODUCT:100:4:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GROWN_ARP:WOOD]
   [SKILL:WOODCRAFT]

Iv been looking threw a lot of these files myself, figuring out how to mod in my new custom race and all.

Edit: oh its worth noting (as to not be confusing) that GROWN_ARP is the custom wood type the mod uses AKA "Grown Wood".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:57:13 pm by LastGreen »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:13:28 pm »

It wouldn't be too hard to make one or several crop plants that can be processed into wood and stone using reaction products, similar to the reactions for brewing drink and such.  I'd probably make a 'stone plant' and a 'barrel brush' or some such, with materials of each color, and then a set of reactions to 'process plants into (color) building materials'.  If you just want them for constructions and workshops, you could have the reaction give you blocks; otherwise you'll want boulders and logs.  For stone, you'd need to either pick rocks of the right color to produce. or add a set of colored stones that don't occur naturally.

To make blood cookable, you can probably just add [EDIBLE_COOKED] to the list of properties under [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD_TEMPLATE] in the MATERIAL_TEMPLATE_DEFAULT file.  I haven't tested that, though, and it might require some additional changes.

*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:03:43 pm »

There's a line in plant raw files that resembles
Code: [Select]
[GROWTH_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:NONE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:LEAF]I think it could be changed into another item token and let the plant produce that item? Haven't tested myself.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 01:40:49 am »

Yep, you can grow swords on trees and pants on bushes. The GROWTH_ITEM can be any of the items from the raws. After that dwarves will be able to collect the growth in fort mode and adventurers in adv. mode.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository