Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What should I do next?  (Read 2582 times)

LockeTalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What should I do next?
« on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:59 pm »

I've got a very nice fortress humming along with 101 dwarves right now, but I'm running out of ideas about what to do with it. Some cool features that I've already built:

-Indoor plumbing that draws from a nearby stream and supplies fresh water to the dining room and hospital wells
-A zoo (with a black bear, a wolf, a peregrine falcon, a porcupine, and -- just for heck of it -- a caged cyclops)
-An "arena" for prisoner execution and military training
-A legendary dining room
-Outdoor sculpture garden (so tastefully arranged!)
-A "danger room" for training my military (they're all "Grand Masters" at this point)
-4x4 bedrooms for all dwarves
-Every inch of stone has been smoothed and engraved
-All entrances (both above ground and into the subterranean caverns) covered by a series of cage traps and weapons traps
-Opulent throne rooms, burial chambers, dining rooms, etc... for all the nobles.

Most of my profit comes from prepared food (a few large farm plots and a growing herd of sheep supplying most of the ingredients, supplemented by gathered wild plants and trade-acquired food items) but I've also got a pretty good set of stonecrafters and bonecrafters, and my metal industry is busy smelting galena into lead and silver, then forging the lead into crafts and the silver into weapons.

The point is: what next? I need a cool challenge that could end in lots of FUN.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do next?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:43:29 pm »

Train all your civilian dwarves to boost their armor user skill, then make them wear full steel set. It's not difficult to do, but very time consuming. As a bonus you get less tattered clothes.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:00:32 pm »

Build a monument. Or a magma cannon (Use pressure. Requires screw pumps.) Or do something stupid. Try phasing out all of the staircases in your fort by retrofitting it with pillars of up ramps. Build a giant dwarf for the lever puller to live in, fully functional (Levers in the head; food enters in the mouth, is stored in the stomach; &c.).

If in you're running out of ideas even then, try fulfilling your fortress name. I once had a fort that's name was Brassglaciers. My entrance was a glacier made of solid brass. Do things like that.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:04:31 pm »

A pressurized water source to insta-flood key areas on demand.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »

Tame some animals. Crocodiles are a good choice.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 04:49:43 pm »

>What next?

Challenge yourself. I personally don't use 3 things that I consider exploity: remove all cage traps, don't use the danger room, and don't sell prepared meals. Makes the game much more realistic and much more interesting.

LockeTalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »

Well the fortress name is "Greatrocks," and the only way to fulfill that name which I can think of is to build some enormous stone balls. So maybe I'll go with getting all my citizens suited in armor.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 09:12:48 pm »

A large obsidian objecte castd by 3D printer seems appropriate for the name.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:57:13 pm »

Construct a grand dining room area with 8 levels and with a channeled center that goes all the way to the bottom. Will take awhile, but you can have lots of !!FUN!! with it.

Or you can dig out massive room of about 10z levels and make an underground tree farm. You can also dump your excess number of disarmed prisoners into this area and RP that your military is doing a Search and Destroy in hostile caverns. Or you know, unleash a Forgotten Beast on them.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:09:02 am »

Carve your fortress out of the earth so that it's a ball (or pair of balls) of stone sitting in a canyon. Patch holes with either cast obsidian or stone blocks similar to the native rocks. Rest the fortress on a complex system of supports, preferably made from soap. Polish the entire outside of the fortress. Bonus points if you make the construct supported by a tree instead of supports. Leaves can totally hold up a 100-meter-wide ball of stone, man.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Revenant342

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 07:10:44 am »

Megaprojects are always a good choice.  Build something huge, cool, and impractical.  Aboveground castle? 

Or you could always invade the circus. 

Galena

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 07:28:54 am »

Doing something stupid is always fun
He listed off what sounded like a lot of painful-sounding procedures that needed to be done, then proceeded to immediately throw a party.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 08:03:38 am »

Some sort of giant baseball arena, substituting minecarts for the baseball and lever+bridge for the bat.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:21:50 am »

Dig a vast labyrinth under your fortress, imprison a minotaur within it, and regularly feed it Goblins. That's what I did.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 08:30:01 am »

A thing you could do is track the lineage of all your dwarves and separate their living quarters into giant family complexes. It's always fun to see what the great Clans of your fortress are.
Pages: [1] 2