Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Let's Play ADOM: Tower of Eternal Flames Round 2 Fight!  (Read 26222 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Welcome to Die!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 04:32:55 am »

What the zog happened to the ADOM I vaguely remember and could only enjoy after memory editing it?
A crowdfunding campaign.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 10:22:23 am »

Aright, when we last left our dashing hero Dashing, he had just doomed himself to a terrible series of unfortunate events culminating in his grisly death. He has a variety of ways to try and get the ring off, but most of what I could do will probably require an altar. Unless I get lucky and find an earlier altar, I can expect to get the ring off by Dwarftown. Just have to survive until then.

After killing some orcs, the game started trying to kill me. First there was a cave lizard that was in my way and took me down a lot of health.Then it decided to throw some gray oozes at me, pictured here. If Dashing tried fighting those while cursed he'd either destroy his rapier to acid, or die trying to beat them up with his fists. So he does the smart thing and runs.

...While running away from the oozes down a corridor, I try to open a door. The door was trapped. Trap+Doom=Not fun. The trap triggered as soon as I tried to open the door. Fortunately it was a blinding trap.

Unfortunately the blindness was lasting an unusually long time (gee, wonder why that was) and I couldn't afford to stop moving because there's oozes on my tail. So I just kept running forward down the corridor until I hit a wall. Then I try walking down.

...Oh look, there's that ooze I was running from. The ooze hits me and stuns me, then finishes me off next turn as I stagger in a random direction, while still blinded. Yep. Died while blinded. Yep. Doomed.

Oh well, there wasn't much I could do to avoid death considering I was doomed with a cursed ring and no holy water or source of uncursing and oh wait

I can see how this Let's Play is gonna go.

Next Time: We Learn What Sound a Mist Elf Makes as It Splats Against the Wall!

-----------------

Wait, where do you even get the proper, ASCII version of ADOM any more?
All the stuff on their (awful) website seems to be some new version with hideous graphics.

Also: You're doomed. :P
In the new releases of ADOM with tiles and stuff, you can hit F10 to switch the graphics to ASCII. You can even choose what font you want it to use.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 12:00:06 pm »

I'll suggest Dirtfarmer the Troll Farmer. Especially Unless if the new version nerfs trolls or farmers.

Also: Ye art doomed! :P
Fixed that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play ADOM: Ye Art Doomed!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 12:31:16 pm »

Spoiler: Fancypant's backstory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: starting attributes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: starting skills (click to show/hide)

Alright, well, here's Fancypants. In true merchant fashion, I spent all my starting talents on multiplying my gold by taking Wealthy (doubles starting gold), Very Wealthy (triples starting gold again), and Filthy Rich (doubles starting gold again) so if Fancy has one thing going for him it's that he has a big load of dosh. Fancy has god awful Toughness and healthpoints though. Only a max of 8 toughness? Only 9 hp at level 1? A slight breeze could kill our money-laden mist elf merchant!

But who cares about fitness? Look at all that gold. Dashing started with only 100 pieces. Fancypant's pants are LOADED.

Anyway, the first thing Fancypants does is stop by Terinyo. Maybe there'll be some customers interested in buying his wares.

It doesn't take Fancy long to see that everyone in this small town is dirt poor and couldn't even afford to share the air in Fancypant's fancy mist-laden lungs. The local village elder asks Fancy to look for the village carpenter who went missing in a nearby cave system. Fancy makes a note of stopping by the cave system later to look for loot, then stops by Terinyo's small shop to buy some rations for the road. The prices seem a bit extravagant though. It costs 96 gold for two large rations. That's 2 meals. "What a ripoff," thinks Fancy as he pinches his gold in his misty elf hands.

Fancy sets out for the OTHER village located deep in the woods southwest of Terinyo. The village name is some unpronounceable gibberish and it looks and smells like a dirty hole in the wall. And it appears to be populated by bandits and thieves.

Oh look, there's a bandit now! "He can smell my riches!" Fancy's wallet screams internally. "If he wants my gold so badly, ha ha, he can take it! Take this, MERCHANT COIN TOSS OF DEATH!"

Well that doesn't seem to work. "Evasive maneuvers!" shrieks Fancypants in a fancy elvish manner.

Fancy runs into the nearby shop known as "Barnabas' Black Market", hoping the trollish shopkeeper Barnabas would be willing to lend a hand. He buys a cloak of protection and a wooden shield, hoping that the new equipment might help him survive. It turns out the shield is cursed and the prices are absurdly high, 800 gold for a wood shield and 6000 for a cloak of protection. Typical merchants trying to scam people out of their money.

The bandit beats on frail Fancypants a bit while Barnabas watches. Fancy weakly tries to fend the bandit off with his sword. Fancy scratches the bandit a bit but Fancy is critically wounded, barely clinging to life with one hitpoint left of his measly 9 hitpoints. It's a life or death situation. Fancy goes berserk!

But alas, it was not to be. Some nameless bandit in Bandit-ville probably has some rather fancy pants now.

Next time: Rats or Trolls. Or maybe Rat Trolls? Troll Rats? Rolling Trats?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 04:07:52 pm »

Yeeep. That's how any games I've tried with mist elves or merchants typically go. Death really early. Never tried mist elf+merchant together though, wow that's squishy. I didn't kill anything and survived for not even 2 days.

That sums up just about all I know about ADOM. :P

How about Droozt the male Dark Elf Ranger for another go?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 09:11:33 am »

I vote either farmer or weaponsmith.

My first (normal) win was with a farmer, second was with a weaponsmith.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 09:35:43 am »

I vote for a gnome mindcrafter.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2015, 01:08:58 pm »

Spoiler: Dirtfarmer's Backstory (click to show/hide)

Alright, I've never actually played a farmer, so I'll be giving Dirtfarmer the Troll a go. After that I'll try a ratling duelist again. Trolls are pretty great at early game due to crazy strength, toughness, and starting with a big-ass club. They can generally survive most of what the early game can throw at you. Generally. Mostly. Trolls also have a higher rate of healing than any other race. However, they do have downsides. They have incredibly short lifespans and can die from old age, they have a very high metabolism and can starve to death in early game if you aren't careful, and they learn slowly. Really slowly. They need a lot more experience to level up than other races.

Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)

Here's our gear. The cooking set should be useful, cooking corpses makes the corpse give more nutrition, which is great because trolls are hungry buggers. We also have a generous amount of consumables.

Spoiler: skills (click to show/hide)

Here's our skills. Herbalism will be useful. Food preservation affects how likely monsters are to drop a corpse on death, and how long it takes for corpses in your inventory to rot away. Also very useful, especially for trolls. We don't have the healing skill, which I said in a previous update improves our rate of regenning hp. We'll want to get healing asap.

Spoiler: attributes (click to show/hide)

Here's our attributes. Trolls are ugly, uncharismatic brutes. And check out that learning score. Lowest learning score possible. What's learning score represent in ADOM, you ask? Learning is basically "intelligence". It affects how well your character can learn spells, and if your character starts with 10 learning or more, and you aren't a barbarian or beastfighter, your character is literate and can read. So Dirtfarmer is illiterate and just sliiiiightly smarter than a rock. Sounds like a typical troll.

Dirtfarmer starts his journey in the footsteps of the countless adventurers before him. He follows the road and enters Terinyo.

Oh look, guys, we have a dog.

Heh. "servant to a more intelligent beast". I'd be willing to bet the dog is more intelligent than Dirtfarmer...I know just what to name the pet dog of a troll.

After (un)ceremoniously christening his dog as "Dogmeat", Dirtfarmer shambles up to the oldest man in the village and attempts to communicate. Given Dirtfarmer's Learning score, it's probably just inane grunting sounds.

Next time: Dirtfarmer's Rescue Mission!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2015, 02:25:55 pm »

Wait, where do you even get the proper, ASCII version of ADOM any more?
All the stuff on their (awful) website seems to be some new version with hideous graphics.

Also: You're doomed. :P

ADOM contain both ASCII and graphic version now, you can switch anytime from one to another by pressing F10
There are more new graphic and etc.. that you can setup and do with F8 and F9 and CTRL+M (even playing ADOM in 1st person ! ) in the current public version.

From what i read in his website, the dev should release soon a new up-to-date public  prerelease, as the current public is old, and there are so much new stuff that have been added since then.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2015, 05:55:30 pm »

Remember that farmers start with polearm skill, so spear and board will take you a good distance.

I don't see the cooking set being "too" useful. Trolls can practically eat anything that isn't undead.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:58:18 pm by Blaze »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »

Remember that farmers start with polearm skill, so spear and board will take you a good distance.

I don't see the cooking set being "too" useful. Trolls can practically eat anything that isn't undead.
Doesn't hurt to have the cooking set, really. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'm partial to using two-handers as a troll. Big damage. Probably use a halberd when I find one and keep a spear and shield as backup.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »

Now that I've gotten the quest from Terinyo, the first thing I do is go to the Small Cave. then immediately leave the Small Cave. We'll come back later.

Then I stop by the bandit town of Holeinthewall to check out what the Black Market has for sale. The only thing worth picking up is a cloak of protection, but it's 6000 gold. And I could just find a cloak of protection in a dungeon somewhere.

With these two small errands done I head to the village dungeon southeast of Terinyo to get on with the quest.

I'm not sure how long Dogmeat will last. I haven't played with companions that much.

Oh. Well. Cool. Bleed out from a giant rat. Why am I not surprised. This is ADOM. Abandon all hope, ye who enter the Drakalor Chain.

Anyway, moving on, next floor, diving down, not much happening, oh hey, nice, an altar.

My first reaction is to want to sacrifice that hostile bat right next to it so I can convert the lawful altar to chaotic. However, I don't want to lower my alignment too low, for reasons I'll explain soon. I'l probably try to convert it on the way back out.

Dirtfarmer dives a few more floors. On level 4 we find Jharod the Healer. Jharod is willing to heal anyone, whether they're Lawful, Neutral, or chaotic alignment, but he'll only teach player characters who are Neutral or higher. We want him to teach us so we can get the healing skill. But our alignment is chaotic. How do we increase our alignment? Why, rescue the village carpenter and try not to commit any chaotic satanic acts of evil along the way, of course.

On VD:5 (Village Dungeon floor 5) we find a hostile blink dog. I name the dog Blinky and kite him around a bit until he summons help.

That's what I want.

I wade through several waves of blink dogs before one of them drops a corpse. It's actually kinda intense of a fight. I get close to death with 2 hp and bleeding before I level up and get my health raised to 12 hp. Then fighting off the remaining blink dogs lowers me to 6 hp. I'm so used to playing troll barbarians or fighters with impenetrable PV values. (that's armor, for non ADOM vets) Not used to squishy trolls. Feels weird.

I grab my prize of a blink dog corpse and run back up to Jharod for healing. I could sit in a corner and wait, but that's too slow without the healing skill, even for a troll.

Haha. We can now control where we teleport to. This is not nearly as gamebreaking as it could be for, say, a wizard or some spellcaster, but it's still good to have. Even for a troll who's barely sentient.

On VD:5 I pick up a potion of training, which I had identified earlier from my trip to the Black Market. Neat.

Oh hey, we found the carpenter. Meet Yriggs. He's been corrupted by the evil of chaos and driven mad and he needs healing. I lead Yriggs back to Jharod.

With Yriggs healed, we're one step closer to learning the healing skill. Our alignment is still chaotic though. I head back to Terinyo to turn in the quest. Hopefully I'll get the alignment boost I need to bring me from C to N-.

...Nope, still chaotic. Hmm. In the past that's been enough to bump my starting chaotic character's alignment to N-. Guess different races+classes start with different levels of alignment. I'd prefer to not have to take the chaotic method of learning healing, but I may have to. I don't like doing it because the skill is basically stuck at 60 with no way to max it out, but it's still better than no healing.

Next time: Dirtfarmer's Moral Medical Dilemma!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »

The village name is some unpronounceable gibberish and it looks and smells like a dirty hole in the wall.

Irony: The name is an anagram of "hole in the wall" - because that's what it is.

Also the reason you're still chaotic with Dirtfarmer is probably because you killed those blink dogs(one of the few things that's both randomly trying to kill you and lawful). Plus good luck getting Healing up any with that 1 Learning point.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »

The village name is some unpronounceable gibberish and it looks and smells like a dirty hole in the wall.

Irony: The name is an anagram of "hole in the wall" - because that's what it is.

Also the reason you're still chaotic with Dirtfarmer is probably because you killed those blink dogs(one of the few things that's both randomly trying to kill you and lawful). Plus good luck getting Healing up any with that 1 Learning point.

That was a subtle joke about Holeinthewall. I knew that. Didn't know killing blink dogs would do that. I knew they were lawful, and I knew they would be hostile to chaotics and friendly to lawfuls based on past experience, but didn't know that killing lawful creatures that were automatically hostile to me would effect my alignment.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 07:48:18 am »

Killing chaotics should technically put you towards Lawful, but obviously climbing the slippery slope is a lot slower than sliding down it..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9