Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: We're all just a software simulation... (NOT REALLY)  (Read 12030 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
We're all just a software simulation... (NOT REALLY)
« on: May 01, 2015, 09:07:39 am »

...created by humans who perished after the technological singularity. You're programmed not to believe this, of course.

That is all.

///DISCLAIMER/// I don't actually believe this. This is just a topic for discussion of the possibility. Please don't take this too seriously. ///DISCLAIMER///
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 07:28:24 pm by forsaken1111 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: We're all just a software simulation...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:10:31 am »

Code: [Select]
run denial.exe
Rationalisation_subroutine
Running DespairGuard v2.203

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:05:42 am »

The existence of real numbers in physics disproves the "software" part quite handily.
._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18:57 am »

The existence of real numbers in physics disproves the "software" part quite handily.
Only insofar as we can suggest an absolute level in precision, and higher/lower level of magnitude against which this precision can be applied.  Which could be reflected in something like the Planck constant and other stellar/macro/quantum-level measuring inconsistencies which are clearly in existence.

If we're not just staring at artificial shadows in Plato's Cave at a software output designed to tell us what limits reality (and software) truly have, all in order to reinforce our own opinion that we cannot expect more than the capabilities of the system we are enslaved to in 'true' reality.  Meanwhile, we're just as confined to and fooled by an artificial reality as a Pong Bat, Pacman, or some guy called Urist.  At least until we become Neo...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:24:18 am »

It honestly doesn't matter either way, past a certain degree of verisimilitude. Granted, there's the whole issue of tiered intelligence and existence, but once you've hit self-awareness and your life, as far as you can tell, is "real", then it is real.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:24:48 am »

Only insofar as we can suggest an absolute level in precision, and higher/lower level of magnitude against which this precision can be applied.  Which could be reflected in something like the Planck constant and other stellar/macro/quantum-level measuring inconsistencies which are clearly in existence.

If we're not just staring at artificial shadows in Plato's Cave at a software output designed to tell us what limits reality (and software) truly have, all in order to reinforce our own opinion that we cannot expect more than the capabilities of the system we are enslaved to in 'true' reality.  Meanwhile, we're just as confined to and fooled by an artificial reality as a Pong Bat, Pacman, or some guy called Urist.  At least until we become Neo...
Planck constant limits energy. Distance is non-quantum, and so is velocity. Them being non-quantum is kind of important because if they had a lower bound then that would seriously fuck up the formation of galaxies due to how small the initial forces are.

Also, Neo as explained in the Matrix 2 or 3, was basically programmed to do his Neo shit so he is a really bad example of "man breaking Matrix".
._.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:24 am »

...created by humans who perished after the technological singularity. You're programmed not to believe this, of course.

That is all.

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 10:26:40 am »

April Fool's was last month.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:36:48 am »

That is all.
Why would it matter?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 10:44:23 am »

Come on, respect Forsaken's religious views.

They're wrong, of course.  We're characters in a story, which was planned but never written, because it was too ambitious.  The creator is a (well, the) character in the story I described just now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:45:24 am »

That is all.

This is why I love SimCity 2000

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:43 am »

They're wrong, of course.  We're characters in a story, which was planned but never written, because it was too ambitious.  The creator is a (well, the) character in the story I described just now.
Actually, narrative theory is a rather interesting approach to the multiverse -- every universe which exists is expressed through a fictional work in another. Every story ever written is part of a human cluster of the multiverse in which divergences are all related in some way to humanity. It all started with a single universe, but rather than diverging into new forks of the same base universe whenever someone makes a choice or an event occurs which could have happened in another way, right down to a single subatomic particle's behavior... we get a new universe created ex nihilo whenever someone writes or tells or imagines a universe which is not perfectly identical to the one in which they reside.

All bullshit, of course, but a fun thought.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 10:54:31 am »

I'm afraid the power of your pen... is no longer absolute. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:53 am »

Eeeeh, boring old nerd-solipsism. Nonverifiable, therefore indistinguishable from false.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 11:26:26 am »

We could easily be the electric sheep of a computer's dream.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9