Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A city to settle in  (Read 4441 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A city to settle in
« on: April 30, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »

I find my life in an interesting time. I need a city to spend a year in and I'm unsure where I should go.

For the moment, I've got enough resources to relocate, but I'd need to get a job pretty soon.

So, does anyone know of any cities that are reasonably fun, reasonably cheap to live in, and with decent low-level job prospects?

Even the avatars expire eventually.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: A city to settle in
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:05:13 pm »

Portland, Oregon.

However a number of people are moving out here. So you'll be competing with a lot of people for jobs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 12:29:05 am »

I've been to 122 countries, I can recommend Istanbul, Cairo, Capetown, Seoul, Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo, Bangkok, ChangMai (x10), Mumbai, Santiago de Chile and Cartagena/Bogota.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:06:47 am »

Portland, Oregon.

However a number of people are moving out here. So you'll be competing with a lot of people for jobs.

But then you'd be in Portland...

Also, I hear Flint is hiring. That's where all the jobs from my town are off to.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:56:13 am »

My home city of Bonn is a great place! Or nearby Cologne, if you're more of a big-city person.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 06:33:34 pm »

Yeah I'm kind of interested in moving somewhere else as well. I wonder if any B12ers are seeking a roomie (I can cook, clean, and draw you pretty pictures! :D).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 08:04:00 pm »

Portland, Oregon.

Hell yes.  My town!

With all seriousness, though, it's a great place to live, coming from a resident.  Although if you find yourself on the conservative end of the political spectrum, you might be uncomfortable with the liberal bent of the city.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 11:28:23 pm »

* Kevak is in portland as well~

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 08:18:57 am »

With all seriousness, though, it's a great place to live, coming from a resident.  Although if you find yourself on the conservative end of the political spectrum, you might be uncomfortable with the liberal bent of the city.

Haven't we just about purged the libertarians by now? You guys have just about converted me, even.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 09:03:07 am »

Haven't we just about purged the libertarians by now? You guys have just about converted me, even.
Wait, you live in Portland too?

Now to look up what the hell libertarian means... but if it's in any way conservative, they probably left.  Portland is a solidly blue city.

As an added plus, we have incredibly robust public transit for a city of our size.  That's how I get to and from school every day.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:03 am »

No I don't. I was referring to this forum, not Portland.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 01:30:54 pm »

Oh yeah, the libertarians were purged long ago. Some still eke out a living in the conservative-by-local-standards ghetto, but even the residents there have reservations about them. Most people who are too far away from mainstream views stay quiet, only occasionally pitching in when an especially interesting discussion happens. And there are infrequent ghetto demonstrations, but they usually quickly peter out due to lack of confrontation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 07:06:13 pm »

Oh yeah, the libertarians were purged long ago. Some still eke out a living in the conservative-by-local-standards ghetto, but even the residents there have reservations about them. Most people who are too far away from mainstream views stay quiet, only occasionally pitching in when an especially interesting discussion happens. And there are infrequent ghetto demonstrations, but they usually quickly peter out due to lack of confrontation.
Ghetto demonstrations?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »

See: Any politics thread. The Libertarians come out, try to argue, then get drowned in walls of text from people generally more... charismatic? Verbose? Eloquent? I'm not sure which word I want here exactly.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »

Ghetto demonstrations?
You know, those couple times a year when the semi-conservatives around here mention they exist and reaffirm their status as a relevant minority. "We are the 25-30%" and so on.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: [1] 2 3