Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Imperial Inquisition [WH40K SG]  (Read 10699 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Inquisition [WH40K SG]
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 08:09:34 pm »

It's very, very common to have psykers corrupted by the Warp. The Emperor and Malcador the Sigilite (that's his name) weren't corrupted because they were the first and third most powerful psykers that ever lived. Even the Chaos Gods couldn't possess them, let alone mere daemons.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 08:22:13 pm »

Yep. Magnus the Red was the next most powerful psyker to the Emperor, and though he now serves Chaos, it was actually his decision to do so (he followed Horus willingly into his rebellion and basically gave up his soul to Tzeentch, if I remember right). A psyker's susceptibility to corruption is a combination of their power (more power attracts more daemons) and their will (having a strong will means you don't give in nearly as easy). Space Marine Librarians are incredibly strong in power, but their will is even better. The Space Wolves chapter literally trains EVERY SINGLE MARINE THEY HAVE to resist Chaos by exposing them to the raw power of the Warp, and if they lose focus even by an INCH, even a subconscious lapse, they are executed on the spot.

Of course, it's not just a matter of the psyker themselves seeking out power -- sometimes it comes to them on its own. Merely having the 'senses' of a psyker makes you a target for daemons and the raw power of the Warp. The Imperium spends a hell of a lot of time rooting out any fledgling or unsanctioned psykers in their ranks, training those they can, executing those they cannot, and sacrificing the rest to the Emperor to keep him alive on his Golden Throne. Stable psykers do exist, though, and in great numbers -- I mean, look at the Eldar. Every damn one of them is a psyker, and yet they manage to resist the temptations of the Warp on a daily basis. Hell, Warp Spiders flirt with their own death by dipping straight into the Warp -- UNPROTECTED -- for a split second when they teleport point-to-point.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:26:57 pm by Xvareon »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 08:26:07 pm »

Eldar are millennium more advanced, have more knowledge of the Warp, and evolved. I was talking about the regular human psyker.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:30:27 pm »

Eldar are millennium more advanced, have more knowledge of the Warp, and evolved. I was talking about the regular human psyker.
More importantly, they were literally engineered to be a psyker race by the Old Ones. Humans just came out of evolution, which has gone okay for them.
Sanctioned Psyker: Your psychic powers became evident at a young age, and the Inquisition took you to Holy Terra for your Rite of Sanctioning. You became an official Imperial Psyker, and you continued your training for many years, serving wherever the Empire needed you the most. Eventually, you were noticed by Lord Cornellius, and after serving as an acolyte and interrogator, you eventually became an Inquisitor.
A Psyker as an Inquisitor? ... ... Is that even a thing?

Name: Gwydion Llane
Ordo: Ordo Xenos
World of Origin: High-born
Training: Sanctioned Psyker

Background: As firstborn son of the Llane family and heir to their extravagantly wealthy shipping and transportation enterprise on Oneiros V, Gwydion learned from a very young age how to navigate the battlefields of social gatherings and cruise liners as smoothly as a Kriegan with a lasgun facing down a cadre of Howling Banshees. However, though everyone expected great things of him, no one saw it coming when Gwydion revealed himself as a Psyker by inadvertently setting afire half of a ceremonial banquet table. In hindsight, they really shouldn't have insisted he try the shrimp.

"Psyker!" they'd screamed. "Monster!" cried still more. Before the growing mob of courtiers and politicians could hurt him in their terror, however, they were stalled by another voice above all:  The unchallengeable word of an Inquisitor, who had just so happened to be present while searching for potential Genestealer cults. Where the masses were blinded by fear, Gwydion's patron saw potential. He was taken for Psyker training at Holy Terra itself, and eventually emerged with their sanction -- the sanction to bring the Emperor's will upon all those who dare to resist.

With his legacy of higher birth, sharp wits, experience in dealing with the political machinations that run rampant throughout the Imperium, and recently-mastered control over the protean powers of the Warp, it didn't take long for the Inquisition to take a much greater interest in him. Now assigned to the Ordo Xenos and deployed to the Corvus sub-sector under the patronage of Lord Cornellius, Inquisitor Gwydion Llane stands ready to make his mark in a universe ravaged by war, and bring the Emperor's light to all Xenos who profane the purity of mankind with their presence.
That said, +1 to this guy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 08:31:50 pm »

Right then lets just train will.

((Said the 40k noob))

On a more realistic note, Since were with the Xenos corps were going to have the power of alien languages, black market availability, mercenaries, and if need be authority to request Deathwatch. Reasonably we can get pretty powerful without provoking chaos or other corrupting elements. Heck, as a inquisitiner we can ask anyone to be part of our retinue right? An denying would be grounds for immediate execution if we wanted to.

EDIT: Also who the heck rebels against the empire? What real humans rebel against the only thing standing in the way of Demons, Aleins, Orks, Eldar, Tau authoritarianism, and Bugs (thar something was their name)?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:34:02 pm by 3man75 »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »

I suggest keeping xeno mercs on the down low, though. We might be a Radical Inquisitor, but heresy is still heresy. Still, that won't stop us from using xeno tech as long as the Mechanicus isn't looking, or temporarily allying with a xeno (but making sure to kill it after).
Dying of laughter?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 08:40:25 pm »

EDIT: Also who the heck rebels against the empire? What real humans rebel against the only thing standing in the way of Demons, Aleins, Orks, Eldar, Tau authoritarianism, and Bugs (thar something was their name)?
The Imperium may ensure humanity's survival, but it can be a really a shitty place to the people within it. Also the Tau treat the humans that go to them way better than any but the best of the Imperium's planets.
Sig! Onol

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 08:43:07 pm »

The bugs are the Tyranids, and yeah, what Xantalos said. Other rebels include Chaos cultists (mostly) and people who want to split off and become their own sovereignty. That's happened before. I think it was the Age of Apostasy.
Dying of laughter?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 08:44:28 pm »

The Age of Apostasy was something different, I think. When Goge Vandire seized control of a lot of the offices of the High Lords of Terra and had massive purges across the Imperium for little to no reason.
Sig! Onol

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:02 pm »

More importantly, they were literally engineered to be a psyker race by the Old Ones. Humans just came out of evolution, which has gone okay for them.
Sanctioned Psyker: Your psychic powers became evident at a young age, and the Inquisition took you to Holy Terra for your Rite of Sanctioning. You became an official Imperial Psyker, and you continued your training for many years, serving wherever the Empire needed you the most. Eventually, you were noticed by Lord Cornellius, and after serving as an acolyte and interrogator, you eventually became an Inquisitor.
A Psyker as an Inquisitor? ... ... Is that even a thing?

Name: Gwydion Llane
Ordo: Ordo Xenos
World of Origin: High-born
Training: Sanctioned Psyker

Background: As firstborn son of the Llane family and heir to their extravagantly wealthy shipping and transportation enterprise on Oneiros V, Gwydion learned from a very young age how to navigate the battlefields of social gatherings and cruise liners as smoothly as a Kriegan with a lasgun facing down a cadre of Howling Banshees. However, though everyone expected great things of him, no one saw it coming when Gwydion revealed himself as a Psyker by inadvertently setting afire half of a ceremonial banquet table. In hindsight, they really shouldn't have insisted he try the shrimp.

"Psyker!" they'd screamed. "Monster!" cried still more. Before the growing mob of courtiers and politicians could hurt him in their terror, however, they were stalled by another voice above all:  The unchallengeable word of an Inquisitor, who had just so happened to be present while searching for potential Genestealer cults. Where the masses were blinded by fear, Gwydion's patron saw potential. He was taken for Psyker training at Holy Terra itself, and eventually emerged with their sanction -- the sanction to bring the Emperor's will upon all those who dare to resist.

With his legacy of higher birth, sharp wits, experience in dealing with the political machinations that run rampant throughout the Imperium, and recently-mastered control over the protean powers of the Warp, it didn't take long for the Inquisition to take a much greater interest in him. Now assigned to the Ordo Xenos and deployed to the Corvus sub-sector under the patronage of Lord Cornellius, Inquisitor Gwydion Llane stands ready to make his mark in a universe ravaged by war, and bring the Emperor's light to all Xenos who profane the purity of mankind with their presence.
That said, +1 to this guy.
+1 because High-Born and Xenos makes for Exterminatus, though I'd rather go with Schola Progenium and Officer. Why? Because that's the kind of skillset that'll be useful in recovering STC fragments. Our final mission would involve an assault on Commorragh to retrieve Panacea - the cure-all for all human-afflicting diseases.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Khaiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 04:38:58 am »

Born in the spires that are home to the Imperium's nobility, you are confident in your ability to persuade and command those around you. What is more, your Psychic abilities make you be more than what meets the eye, so anyone thinking you are an easy opponent to defeat will find a nasty surprise.

Currently, your forces are very limited. You have a personal ship with the ability to travel across the Warp. The payment of a Rogue Trader that fell in debt with your family, this ship is small, but well armed, and it should fare well against pirates, and its speed allows it to evade combat in most situations. The ship is manned by a few techpriests and servitors, and you have your own Navigator. The ship is able to do some limited orbital bombardment, and has been modified by the Inquisition. You travel with your retinue, two twin sisters from one of the many Death Cults of the Imperium, three veterans from the Imperial Guard that serve as your bodyguards, an Astropath and a veteran pilot from the Imperial Navy. You have also been granted a Valkyrie transport and the service of a Kill Team of the Deathwatch. The team's leader is Sergeant Alystaire, a Battle Brother of the Blood Angels Chapter.

You are currently en route to Corvus Primaris, the Sub Sector's capital. According to Inquisitor Cornellius, eight Imperial Guard regiments are being raised in this Hive World. You could recruit one or more of these regiments, as well as possibly directing their training to whatever kind of regiment you wish them to be. Taking too many regiments for yourself would undoubtly make the local nobles and the Imperial Guard Commanders in the Sub Sector angry at you.

You also need to know more about the Sub Sector. You have some basic notions about it, with Orks and rebels being the main problems, and Eldar pirates and other dangers being secondary. But you don't know much about the current state of affairs, apart from the current Sub Sector Governor being a retired Imperial Guard Commander called Gunthar.

You arrive on Corvys Primaris on schedule, having been annouced by Inquisitorial Astropaths. You are greeted by the Governor himself, an old man bearing the scars of a veteran, with three of his limbs replaced by bionics and only one eye remaining. He looks unlike many other Imperial Governors. He seems like the kind of man that would be leading wars against the enemies of Imperium, not governing a planet. He seems worried by your relative youth. You are not the kind of person he was expecting. But then again, Inquisitors are never how people expect them to be.

"Welcome to the Corvus Sub Sector. You must be Inquisitor Llane. I hope your journey has been an uneventful one. In my experience, those are the only good journeys. Is there any way I can help you and your holy organization?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

I will only detail the equipment and composition of elite units, so if you get to command an Imperial Guard Regiment, don't expect me to detail all of their equipment.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:30 am »

"Pleased to meet you, governor. Yes, my journey was quite uneventful thankfully, but now is the time for action if you don't mind. If we could speak somewhere, my lord."

As we walk (or when we get to his office), "Firstly, I'd like a rundown on the orks. Which clan is it? Who's the Warlord? Which world in particular is being attacked right now? Aside from that, I'd like a map of the sub-sector, map of key-locations on their worlds, etc. Also, how bad is the rebel situation? Numbers? Leaders? I also want a list of all major attacks they have made on the sub-sector."
Dying of laughter?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2015, 06:24:45 am »

Inquire about the rebels. Motivation for rebellion (beyond general heresy) and if they have any strongholds. Who are their supporters?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 06:31:29 am »

"Pleased to meet you, governor. Yes, my journey was quite uneventful thankfully, but now is the time for action if you don't mind. If we could speak somewhere, my lord."

As we walk (or when we get to his office), "Firstly, I'd like a rundown on the orks. Which clan is it? Who's the Warlord? Which world in particular is being attacked right now? Aside from that, I'd like a map of the sub-sector, map of key-locations on their worlds, etc. Also, how bad is the rebel situation? Numbers? Leaders? I also want a list of all major attacks they have made on the sub-sector."
+1

Take one of the regiments and have them trained as Drop Troops. We're not equipped to deal with large-scale xeno offences and that's not our job - striking quickly and accurately where we need to is, though. Securing an important package or preventing the escape of a fleeing rebel leader are both good examples.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 11:54:18 am »

Inquire about the rebels. Motivation for rebellion (beyond general heresy) and if they have any strongholds. Who are their supporters?
+1 to both of these. We need to gather information first.
Take one of the regiments and have them trained as Drop Troops. We're not equipped to deal with large-scale xeno offences and that's not our job - striking quickly and accurately where we need to is, though. Securing an important package or preventing the escape of a fleeing rebel leader are both good examples.
This is a bit quick to start taking resources, I think. We should try to figure out what we're dealing with before we commandeer such important resources to the war effort. Besides, Drop Troops may be light and fast, but we'll be dealing with Orks as well; against those, you need nothing less than heavy troops backed by a full battery of artillery. Xenos are our main concern, anyway.

So to reiterate:  Let's focus on gathering information about this planet, the whole sub-system, the situation by and large with the Orks and rebels, and find out what is being done about things already -- Inquisitors may be great at cutting the red tape and getting things done, but we need to be careful not to breed too much contempt too quickly.

By the way, now that we're here, where are we going to stay? Where will our retinue sleep? We can't all stay in the Valkyrie every night -- we need to see if we can find a suitable building to set up as an interim compound, or at least see if the good general here can set us up with some decent lodgings.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:56:21 am by Xvareon »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7