Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-A Quiet Evening)  (Read 18654 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-Green Hell)
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2015, 12:50:17 pm »

Brenna takes the cage from your outstretched hand carefully...she seems to concentrate her fires on it for a moment, but there is no immediate effect...

"...Hmm. How did you come across such a thing, can I ask?" She says.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 21, 2015, 05:23:57 pm »

"It was a... Parting gift, so to speak, from the masters at my monastery, who told me it represented my duty. What it's made of or what it does, if anything at all, I don't know. It may be in some way magical or purely symbolic."

Still, the air inside that cage... Were his eyes playing tricks?
Why couldn't Brenna burn it?

He grins.
"Or maybe it's just made of something particularly fire-resistant?"

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 21, 2015, 05:30:44 pm »

Brenna nods.

"Answer a riddle, and I'll tell you what it really is." She says, with a flaming smile. "There's this group of hunters. They have slain ten thousand beasts. They can defeat any evil, because they know all evil inherently-the studying, the hunting, the slaying-it is their purpose and bond. No otherworldly force can possibly stand against them.

So, what do they truly fear?"

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 21, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

"How kind, I've always loved riddles. Did you make this one up on the spot?"

He thinks hard... Truly fear?
Themself? One of their number could fall to corruption, bringing them down from within. That doesn't seem correct, though...

Int roll for hint.

((Man, I always suck at riddles like this one. I fit too many abstract concepts and stuff to the answer. :v
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 21, 2015, 05:48:23 pm »

"It's less a riddle, and more of an explanation...." She comments, bouncing the cage from flaming hand to flaming hand. It still doesn't seem to have deformed in any way.

((Here's a hint. You don't need a hint. :P))

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:55 pm »

"Goodness? Confusion? Darkness? Corruption? Fear? I must admit, I simply don't know the answer. Loneliness? Isolation? Solitude? Something  beyond their knowing? There are so many things in this world one would have reason to fear. I don't think I can answer that question properly."

Ispil barrages her with answers. He doesn't really expect any of them to be right, but he can't think of what it could truly be.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2015, 06:06:33 pm »

"So many guesses, the answers...right...here." She says, pointing at you. "They're afraid of you. Of themselves. They can beat any beast or monster, but they can't control or predict what their own will do...so, they would want to make sure that those in their order are incapable of turning against them.

This cage is designed to do that-it's for someone, or something to be able to find you, Ispil-it's a doorway. Ironic design, a cage! Since the door is only one way, it was designed to let something out. It's why I can't destroy it, any more than I could destroy an empty space. It's also why it doesn't matter if I even could destroy it. You took it, and now the doorway is open-it leads straight to you. I can't really say what's on the other side...not won't, can't. It's another law I must follow, and I've already told you too much.

Am I confusing you, yet?"
She asks, with a little laugh.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:05 pm »

He smiles.

"You do confuse me a little bit, I'll admit, but I feel like what you've told me is something I should remember for the future. Thank you. I'll look into it further on own time, I wouldn't want you to risk yourself further for my sake..."

Ah, but...

"Would you still like to keep the cage itself? I take it the door will still stay open even if its physical reminder is left with you. Perhaps it will be something to remember me by?"

Still, if things ended up going like how he'd hoped, she would actually be travelling with him rather than stuck on the ship. Ultimately the choice would be hers, however, and this even assumes he would be capable of freeing her. In the event of that not occurring, there would still be Leo... Or the strange ranger... Ker, was it?
His experience in the Hell had taught him that he needed a partner, regardless. If this island was any indication, he wouldn't need to search specifically for things that needed his attention, such as it was in the Old World. It would simply do to travel and wander. He would stumble onto places such as this or hear hints of them in dimly lit taverns at night, of that he was sure.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:36:38 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2015, 01:51:33 pm »

Nigma takes a moment to consider the situation. Since he plans to integrate himself into the mercantile and political communities, his best bet is to start making connections now. Leo undoubtedly comes from money, so scoping him out might not be the worst idea. Still, it begs the question as to why he bought a cheap ride...

Earl wanders over towards Leo. "So, what're your plans for the new world?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2015, 02:20:24 pm »

"Would you still like to keep the cage itself? I take it the door will still stay open even if its physical reminder is left with you. Perhaps it will be something to remember me by?"

"Yes, I will remember you as the man who gave me a complex metaphor to describe my situation. Every time I forget I am in a big cage, I will be able to look at the tiny cage to remember my situation."

Hmm, elemental sarcasm...

Earl wanders over towards Leo. "So, what're your plans for the new world?"

"Plan? The Plan was getting here. Everything else...is just improvisation." Leo says, looking out to the sea-away from the jungle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:13 pm »

"Heh. A bit like mine, then. Any ideas yet?"

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2015, 08:47:39 am »

In a cage, maybe, but for how long?

"I'm sorry, I didn't realise."

The sarcasm went flying over Ispil's head. People tended to speak their mind more often in the Monastery.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:32 am »

The sarcasm went flying over Ispil's head. People tended to speak their mind more often in the Monastery.

"Hee...don't mind me, I'm just being facetious. Yes, I do accept and appreciate your gift." She says, with warm smile.

"Heh. A bit like mine, then. Any ideas yet?"

"Making my way inland to Pagekeep, I had hoped. It's the seat of a young Lord who I've heard is new to his throne, and free with his coin...I'm hoping to find work as a Trainee Maester*. Or a Drover. Or maybe a scullion. I could also juggle for coins." Leo comments lightly.

*A Maester is a catch all term for philosophers, loreseekers, alchemists, scholars, healers, and learned men-they are also referred to as 'Knights of the Mind'. It's a good way to find work in a Noble Court.

((Also, if I quote locations to you, remember the new world map is in the 2nd post of the OOC thread, and the 1st post of this thread.))

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2015, 10:47:52 am »

Ah, it seemed she had just been joking. Ispil needed to remember to try and practice his social skills somehow... Still, he was glad he hadn't accidentally caused offence somehow.

"I'm curious... Can you touch something without burning it?"
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 23, 2015, 11:02:14 am »

"Um, no. I am made of fire." She comments dryly.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20