Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-A Quiet Evening)  (Read 18677 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 1-Catherine's Luck)
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »

"Complicated? Perhaps, but it is all I have ever known. I will admit, sometimes I wonder if it is truly the right path to walk, but for now, at least, I have no real other choice."

He smiles slightly.

"I'll admit my description was over the top, but I thought it would be to your taste."
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2015, 07:14:35 pm »

Leo seems to relax, letting down his guard...a bit.

"Well, that is appreciated. I find my humor where I can, but for me-well, life is easy.

If anyone tries to kill me, I kill em right back. I generally try to return whatever the world gives to me in spades-love, pain, generosity, betrayal...it's uncomplicated. And passing fair, in my own opinion...man can't tangle himself in too many promises, I believe. Too many oaths. Too many vows. He'll get all...tangled up, you see. Makes it hard to keep moving. And yet-morality is a luxury I suppose some people can't do without.

You say you have no choice. Why is that? Are you maybe tangled up, son?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2015, 07:30:39 pm »

"One reaps what one sows, after all. That way of living is perfectly reasonable, though as you said it is not for everyone. For me? Maybe one day, for right now, as you say, I am... 'tangled.' I grew up in a monastery, you see, trained to hunt 'monsters' almost from birth. The people who raised me have certain... Expectations, ones I cannot really avoid."

Ispil's smile turns forlorn.

"Even were my life not so, I feel like I am the kind of person to stumble into oaths and convictions. At least, as I am right now. Maybe as I said I could learn one day to live like you do, but such a thing would take much, much time."

His hand brushes against the cage on his hip.

"My chains are of my own making..."

He seemingly realizes something.

"Ah, and my name is Ispil. I forgot to mention it..."

He'd decided to give up on using a fake name. It was going to come back and bite him eventually, and there was not yet any real need to do so. Perhaps it would be better to save it for the future.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:54:09 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2015, 09:15:23 am »

"Hunh. Fare well your travels, then, Ispil. I would get some sleep, if I were you. We're in for a rough landing in some uncharted territory by the mornings light. Maybe we'll find some excitement, hmm...

...Oh yeah-say goodnight to Ispil, Ixenwap."
He says to his Dragonling. It breathes a tiny jet of fire at your face, startling-but well short of your nose, much to it's owners amusement.

He strolls away laughing.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2015, 09:21:28 am »

((Fiiiine, point taken. I doubt you'd let it be possible for me to free the Elemental before we make land, anyway. By the way, do you think of characters then find pictures, or do you get inspiration for characters from pictures then use those pictures?))

Ispil couldn't help but wonder where that man's dragon had come from. The obvious answer would be the New World, but he was seemingly headed there, and the dragon was already here.
Was there such a thing in the Old World? His teachers had been excellent on the practical aspects, but they had rather skimped on learning and lore.

He was regretful that he wouldn't be able to break Brenna's chains tonight, but decided that he was unlikely to make any more progress, and heads to his bed, intending to sleep on what he had discovered and learned.

The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2015, 09:48:45 am »

((Fiiiine, point taken. I doubt you'd let it be possible for me to free the Elemental before we make land, anyway. By the way, do you think of characters then find pictures, or do you get inspiration for characters from pictures then use those pictures?))

((You can do anything you want to. :P Sandbox.

Also, little bit of both. Say here, I needed to accost you with a dashing rogue, his picture didn't really shape the character I had developed in my head, though it did flesh him out. The little golden dragon was just a cool thing I decided to incorporate from the picture.

Also, now we just need mainiac to finish her business and go to sleep to timeshift forward. Things will be less jarring when you all go your own ways, since I don't need to wait to set the scene for everyone.))

---

Ispil goes to bed peacefully...musing before sleep, he figures that Ixenwap is a Pseudodragon. He recalls they are more or less like cats behavior wise, though fairly rare and expensive as pets go. He knows that they were once capable of bonding magically with their masters, but this ability has somewhat degenerated in the previous decades, due to the dilution of their bloodlines from overbreeding them as pets of the nobility-Pseudodragons are less intelligent than they were, and their ability to communicate telepathically is weaker or non-existent in most 'mass produced' breeds. He thinks it's fairly interesting that Ixenwap was able to breathe fire, another trait that is also slowly being lost...

It's very possible new, wild breeds of Pseudodragon exist in the New World with their inherent abilities still intact.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2015, 01:53:17 pm »

Get yourself ten pearls, and I'll welcome you as a full partner-you can sit at the table with us, and decide on where we sail, what we go after. Until then, yer a stranger with no money and big ideas. Fair enough, Ma'am?"[/color]

"That's a savvy way of operating captain, you dont want people working for you if you dont have a stake in the work.  I'm sure that attitude will serve you well once I can raise money for my shares."[/brown]

Natalie kicks back and takes another small sip of her caustic beverage and ponders the off though.  [color]"I just want to reassure you of one thing though.  I dont offer 'big ideas'.  You might dream about a fleet of ships for all I know but I dont want to offer you a way to get rich quick.  You want that, try talking to my father.  What I'm about is...

Well you know about horse racing?  Know who always makes the most money betting on that?"

Natalie gives the captain a few seconds to consider the rhetorical question.  "It's the bookies because bookies never win and never lose, they just collect the vig.  Thing is the bookies work hard for their take while the gamblers dont work at all.  Now you... you work hard to buy cargo and haul it back and forth and sometimes you win but it's always you working for the investors and paying the money back.  What I'm saying is I can help you get small stuff but small stuff that wont leave you working for the investors."

"But I'm not gonna sit around and bore you all day.  I think I'll try to track down a round of this game of yours."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:29:02 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2015, 01:59:46 pm »

"Aye, wait till we hit port, dear. We're all busy keeping my luck afloat, right now. Don't fret-depending on how friendly this island is, I might be needing your services sooner rather than later."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »

"I like the sound of that.  My uncle Bilbert used to say 'the riskier the road the greater the profit'."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2015, 02:52:43 pm »

"Well, my uncle Robar used to say 'Take your time, girl, you got all day'.

He died pretty young, you know."
She comments, with a breezy grin. "So I best get back to work. You stay out of trouble, ma'am."

Cetherine gives you a final nod and departs.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2015, 11:22:12 am »

Natalie finds herself alone in the creaking hold, wondering if she should get some rest before tomorrow. It's probably going to be a long day.

Otherwise, she could stay awake and alert for now-who knows what might happen?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2015, 12:24:29 pm »

Ker struggles to find sleep, tossing fitfully and growling under his breath. This blasted voyage can't be over soon enough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2015, 01:50:33 pm »

Ker struggles to find sleep, tossing fitfully and growling under his breath. This blasted voyage can't be over soon enough.

Ker eventually finds himself too restless to even lie in bed-he rises and paces like a caged animal, and for lack of any where else to concentrate, looks out the porthole. His gaze is drawn to an odd sight just under the water, one he can't make any sense of.

He can see the vessel has entered shallower water in the last hours. Seaweed and stones are not something that would confuse him so. What's stranger is the humanoid figures he can see, under the churning water-they seem to be grasping the seaplants, and staring up avidly at the ship goes past. Pale white bodies, stick thin, mouths filled with sharp pinpoints-like living skeletons, or some sort of skinny fish-they seem to have many of these bony protrusions upon them, each spear tipped with a dark royal purple spot on the end. Their eyes are shiny, pure black-cold. They make no movements, no signs to indicate they are even alive. They merely float still and calm, watching the ship go past. Perhaps watching Ker.

He is disturbed by the sight.

An indefinable time of misery later, he finds himself wondering if it was all a dream.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2015, 02:31:44 pm »

Natalie finds herself alone in the creaking hold, wondering if she should get some rest before tomorrow. It's probably going to be a long day.

Otherwise, she could stay awake and alert for now-who knows what might happen?

As much as she hates the motion of the ocean, she lies down and tries to sleep through the unnatural feeling.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2015, 02:55:31 pm »

The night goes uneasily for most-for many, time seems to stretch as they try to find some sleep, eventually ending in uneasy unconscious exhaustion that passes for sleep.

Everyone awakes the following morning to find the surest evidence of the fickle fate of the sea-the sky and sea are a perfect, beautiful blue...almost mockingly, only a few puffy white clouds mar the beautiful morning sky. The only trace of last nights storm is the damage done to the vessel, which the crew is busy repairing-the chug of a steam pipe eagerly pumps salt water out of the hold, sailors mend sails on deck, and men standing in the shallows hammer the hull back together. Catherine's Luck has come to rest in a shallow cove-it would have seemed the Captain beached her vessel, but most of you know that tides go in and out-it's likely the ship can float back out again once the tide comes back.

On the horizon, there isn't much to be seen-to the West and South, there is an unending mass of the sea-nothing can be seen, no matter how far you look. To the north, one can see a distant island, however-it is covered in greenery...much like the island you seem to have landed upon, of which you are no doubt on it's western edge. There isn't much to be seen from the ship itself-just a white sandy beach littered with debris from stormsurge, and the island growing thickly beyond-grassy plains stretch a short distance into a thick, impenetrable jungle treeline.

You are all standing on the deck.

Captain Catherine is here as well-she seems to be having a good natured argument with one of her shipmates about where exactly they landed. They have laid out a map and are examining it in detail...sort of.

"Is it not possible we've landed on the Isle of Happiness? Where a thousand-and-one buxom maidens await just beyond the trees for mens pleasure?"" says a snappy fellow with a far look in his eyes.

"Or we coulda landed on the Isle of Nine-Hundred Heads where Happy Hydra's devour all who are foolish enough to dare trespass..." The Captain says, in the same tone.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Friends (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Player Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 12:36:54 pm by Dwarmin »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20