Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-A Quiet Evening)  (Read 18635 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-Green Hell)
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2015, 11:07:52 am »

Ispil was genuinely quite surprised.

"Really? I thought you would have been able to control it and choose whether to burn or not. Though I guess you never have any real reason to not burn something, either..."
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 23, 2015, 11:13:53 am »

"I have no material form as you do-you could call me a disembodied spirit, who manifests her will in the flames. I can make my fires hotter or...less hot...but I cannot change what I am composed of. Anymore than you can stop being made of...flesh?" She says, bouncing the cage around in her hands. "That being said, I could find a new physical form to inhabit, whereas you could not. Obviously not here, though."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 23, 2015, 11:37:31 am »

"Then is it simply magic that lets you bounce that cage around in your hands? Fire can't 'touch' things, if any of the times I've ever interacted with it are an indication, but I think I understand."

Find a new... Huh?

"Wait, what do you mean by 'inhabit'? Maybe in a different realm, but I thought your form would be the same no matter where you were on this plane..."
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2015, 12:04:07 pm »

"Now we're getting into the definition of magic. Can you tell me how you are alive?" She asks pointedly. "I could ask how a physical being such as yourself can possibly exist in a reality made of pure energy, which is my perspective. How can you not transcend your form by thought alone? How do manage to live so inefficiently, wasting so much energy to propel a flimsy scaffolding of bone and meat through a world of dangerous, illogical right angles and sharp rules of gravity and time?

Your existence is no more or less 'magical' than my own."

"As for my form, I am pure energy-I can inhabit any number of vessels and forms. For example, I could power what you fleshlings call a 'construct', with enough time and ritual materials. I could even compose a demi-elemental humanoid body...if I was a good deal more powerful than I am now. I can never cease to be energy, or the embodiment of the elemental flame-but, as I power this ship, I could power a new form-the same way your soul can be said to power your own body. Assuming you believe in souls..."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2015, 12:53:52 pm »

Ispil shrugs. Only whatever it was that made this reality can tell you that. I was merely questioning the difference between you and the fire of this plane. I am no different to any other corporeal thing, we both have 'touch'. Ordinary flames, however, do not.

I guess. Magic is inscrutable, anyway. I'm sure even the greatest of Wizards and Gods could never fully quite understand it."

"Oh, a demi-elemental humanoid? So someone like me, just with fire instead of hair or something? How would you ever become 'more powerful,' anyway? I thought whatever feeds you only had a temporary effect... A boost, but still with an unbreakable limit.
Well, there's nothing really against souls, and I'm inclined to believe 'yes', however. I have heard of people being raised from death and so forth, though I have never witnessed it with my own eyes."

The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 23, 2015, 01:29:10 pm »

"Well, there are half mortal, half elementals...that's a long story...as for power, what's currency to beings of energy? Loyalty. Respect. Oaths. Law. It's something you would have difficulty understanding-to gain more power in the eyes of my fellow elementals, I would have to appear more powerful. And then I would be. Hee...

You are very curious for a mortal, do you know that? So many questions! You're just making it worse for me when you really do have to leave."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:08 am »

"Interesting. Though something tells me it isn't quite so simple as you are making it sound. Half mortal, half elemental, though? A child between a mortal and one of your kind, or a demi-elemental such as you were describing? If you have no time for the story, you do not have to bother telling it."

Ispil smiles and laughs lightly.

"I grew up detached from the world, of course I'd have many questions. Not that what we're talking about is something most people would be interested in anyway, but... Color me different. When I am gone, we'll see. Even if I leave, it doesn't mean we'll never meet again. I'll at least try to visit you one more time before I depart from this vessel for good... And in the future, maybe I'll have one more gift for you. We will see if I can... Obtain it."

Freeing her was going to be a pain, but he definitely thought it was the correct choice to do. He realized it would be ultimately pointless - another elemental would be summoned to take her place - and he felt guilty for the crew of the Catherine's luck, to damage their livelihood so. Still, he'd attempt to repay them for what it cost, if he could...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:23:41 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2015, 10:11:34 am »

"Good luck in any case Fleshl..er, Ispil."

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2015, 05:33:47 pm »

"Goodbye, Brenna. I'll be seeing you again, though when that is I don't yet know."

Ispil heads back to the deck.
The circle is complete.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:21 am »

Ispil heads back.

Not much has changed-the Captain is bullying her crew into extra work.

"...Aye, tomorrow's now today! We're getting out of this place as fast we can!" she orders.

The rest are still here, lazing about.

=Important NPC's present on deck=
1. Captain's Son
Seems to have grown bored with his spyglass, and is now dueling one of the pirates with a wooden practice swords.

2. The well dressed Pirate
Mock dueling the captain's son with wooden practice swords. The steady clack of wood on wood is oddly comforting.

3. The Fat Priest
A fat Cleric is on deck, performing some sort of divine ritual-still. Maybe he needs alot of breaks.

4. Leo
Lazing on deck, playing with his pet Dragon by tossing meat bits in the air for him to snatch. He's speaking with Earl.

5. The She-Wolf
A female were-warrior with a giant axe seems to have relaxed somewhat-she's laying in a hammock strung between the mast, seemingly snoozing.

6. The One in Yellow
A young, dour looked man in a cloak of yellow with and green stars, seems to be practicing magic incantations. He seems to be even worse off now.

The sun is starting to fall in the horizon. A blood red, fiery orb, dipping into the Eastern sky over the jungle-a deceptively pretty sight.

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Friends (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Player Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:34:42 am by Dwarmin »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Braving the New World (Day 2-A Quiet Evening)
« Reply #280 on: May 28, 2015, 05:38:08 pm »

Ispil decides to go over and watch the duel. He's interested in the Were, but doesn't want to disturb her nap.
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:58 am »

Ker maintains his watch on the jungle, freeing one eye to watch the spar.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2015, 02:48:14 am »

"Making my way inland to Pagekeep, I had hoped. It's the seat of a young Lord who I've heard is new to his throne, and free with his coin...I'm hoping to find work as a Trainee Maester. Or a Drover. Or maybe a scullion. I could also juggle for coins." Leo comments lightly.
Earl chuckles. "You seem like a man with mind as sharp as steel. I think you'll do well there. Put a good word in for me with the Lord if I ever stop by. I'm planning on finding some work as a merchant. Know anything about Pagekeep's economy?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 31, 2015, 11:56:00 am »

Earl chuckles. "You seem like a man with mind as sharp as steel. I think you'll do well there. Put a good word in for me with the Lord if I ever stop by. I'm planning on finding some work as a merchant. Know anything about Pagekeep's economy?"

"From what I know, Pagekeep started out as small, walled fort-it grew into a city when they found you could extract certain colorful um...juices from the small animals they catch in the bogs, around there. What economy they have is based on ink and dye-hence the name, you ken?-and the rest of it mostly goes around to supply the men who patrol the lands between Bardhold and Agaron. It's still technically a fort.

It's got a reputation for attracting learned men and writers, or at least those people who know how to pretend to be learned men.

From what I can see, lots of money going round, fits me like a sandal, and it'll be the safest place in leagues with the walls and soldiers. Can't figure a better place to start."
He comments.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2015, 12:25:16 pm »

"What sort of creature would give ink and dye? Frogs?"
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20