Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Fleet Admiral - cancelled due to lack of interest  (Read 4509 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check/development: You Are An Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »

As it stands, for ships:

Space / HP / cost in billions of credit

Fighter -  10, cannot hyper out / 5 / 1bc
Fast Courier - 5 / 5 / 10bc
Destroyer - 15 / 80 / 25bc
Light Cruiser - 25 / 160 / 40bc
Light Cargo 30 / 10 / 10 bc
Heavy Cruiser 45 / 240 / 80 bc
Freighter 60 / 15 / 55bc
Battlecruiser 75 / 450 / 160 bc
Dreadnought 125 / 850 / 320 bc
Carrier 150 / 600 / 350 bc
Superdreadnought 200 / 1000 / 800 bc
Superfreighter 300 / 50 / 100 bc

I will get the speed and hyper speed up next, I just don't want to type it all via mobile.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 04:55:31 pm »

So wait, what's the point of Freighters and Superfreighters?

Light Cargo is cheaper and has more HP for the cost, with the same cost:space as Superfreighters, while Freighters have crappy cost:space and cost:HP ratio alike.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:58:48 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 05:08:16 pm »

The reasoning is that there's an upper speed limit on civilian type hyper drives. Smaller ships tend towards the high end of the speed limit. Although the bigger ships are not quite as fast, they can carry a lot more volume in a similar time scale. There's also armed merchies, passenger liners, colony ships, logistics ships, etc.

See, this is exactly why I am looking for development. Please change them to what you think is more fitting.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

Light Cargo: 30/5/15
Freighter: 170/25/55
Superfreighter: 450/50/100

LC - 2:1 cargo 33% hp
FC - 3:1 cargo 45% hp
SC - 4.5:1 cargo 50% HP

Better?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »

I'm guessing the bigger they are the slower they are?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Vacio

• Bay Watcher
  • I have awoken from my long slumber....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 06:43:17 pm »

Sounds fun, I'm in!
Discontinued Game
Los Diablos

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 06:55:43 pm »

If I translated space to mean 10 cubic meters per every 1 space... h'm.

Light cargo would have an internal storage of about four standard 40' shipping containers, super would be about seventy, standard would be a little over 25.

I'm not sure how well that would work out for size, since it would make SD's vaguely over 200 feet long... Maybe 100 cube meters.

Yes. SD's would pull like 500g in normal and about 4800g in hyper, while a destroyer  would get around 650 / 5999, so on. Fighters can get up to 800 and fast couriers hyper at about 7000g or so.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 07:14:50 pm »

Hyper is a little less than 10 times normal accel rates?

That's somewhat saddening. I'm guessing that's based on the Harrington books, though. I only read maybe the first three, since they start getting formulaic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »

PTW/P. This looks interesting.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 10:13:43 pm »

So I was thinking to start the Admiral off with 1000bc.

It's great to have the hull, life support, etc needed to operate the ship, but it's not going to have more than 1/1 weaponry until the fleet pays up. It's going to start at a discounted rate so you don't blow the entire wad on two ships, of course. It'll be pretty dang similar in price to GalCiv2 (lasers are cheaper, smaller, and weaker versus bigger, more expensive missiles that hurt more)   

Next question is logistics. Do I calculate the score as "cost in bc per month", or smaller? I'm planning on it being about a tenth of the hull price or so, possibly a bit more, just in basic maintenance and expenses.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 11:15:47 pm »

I'd say have different classes of ships. Rather than merely 'this hull size, this, this, this other thing', etc., have a research division working on new ship classes, possibly as a game alongside this one, but separate, and the Admiral can make requests. Then, in addition to unique weapon loadouts/qualities and downsides(as there's always unexpected complications or quirks, as well as particular advantages to certain classes), and in particular, maintenance, there can be actual specific types of ships, older ones that you can't lay out anymore, newer ones that might have fresher crews, and etc. I would say missiles should have certain costs, repair, etc., possibly fuel and food, and basic maintenance could be added on to that based on the skill of the crew (at keeping their ship functioning and not breaking things, the damned rookies) and the ship type in question; maybe some have a lot of drive shift failures. Maybe one tends to jam when trying to load missiles in a hurry. It might even vary from ship to ship, if you wanted to get that deep.

Also, I'd say about 100-120c per player. If we get more players, scale up battles, make it so the fleet gets split up, etc., but that way we all get a nice little task force if we need to. Or at least it would feel like we do. If we do go with individual ship classes, this won't be relevant, but are the fighter costs included in the carrier's cost?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 11:37:43 pm »

I am pretty sure that what I am thinking of and what you suggested are similar. You'll certainly have different class ships in the same size category. Different roles. Basically, I agree, I'm just trying to consider how I can get this sooner rather than later and not make it too complex. Glad I found the Space Calculator.

I'm willing to have people play Staff officers as well, which certainly could include engineering/design/etc, to further this idea. I'd also like to point out that you guys can absolutely have a merchant fleet to have a safer, less expensive way to profit on the side (and to extend service time on ships in the field.)

Yes, with base fighters. If you want a special squad armed with the same class missiles you put on a battlecruiser ,you'll have to pay for those specially and fit them in the additional cargo space.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 11:57:51 pm »

Also, unlike in GalCiv, having bigger weapons WILL deal more than base damage, and base price is going to increase.

If a Destroyer/Light Cruiser Laser 1 is going to do 1 damage, Heavy and Battle size will do 2, Dreadnought 3, and SD 4. If you can cram a SD energy weapon into a destroyer, feel free to do so,although you're gonna have to make interesting choices with what you're going to forgo for having such a hot beam.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 12:20:55 am »

Well, to quote one of the characters from a story I'm (half) working on...

"If I strip out half the life support, I can fit in a second set of ion cannons...what do you mean, no? Why not?"

I'd been thinking of taking it a step further, and having no particularly set size categories; ships would vary in between those categories too, basically. It could probably be done by just having variations on the size categories for particularly heavy battlecruisers, or light dreadnoughts, interceptors versus bombers, and etc.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7