Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Fleet Admiral - cancelled due to lack of interest  (Read 4503 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Fleet Admiral - cancelled due to lack of interest
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:53:48 pm »

I've been idly pondering a spaceship game sort of halfway between Honor Harrington, Galactic Civilizations 2, and Galaxy on Fire HD. It's going to be between a 2 and 3 on the Mohs Sci-fi Hardness Scale.

2. The universe is full of Applied Phlebotinum with more to be found behind every star, but the Phlebotinum is dealt with in a fairly consistent fashion despite its lack of correspondence with reality and, in-world, is considered to lie within the realm of scientific inquiry. Works like E. E. “Doc” Smith's Lensman series, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Star Trek: The Original Series, and StarCraft fall in this category.

A subclass of this class (arguably 2.5 on the scale) contains stories that are generally sound, except the physics aren't our own. Plot aside, they are often a philosophical exploration of a concept no longer considered true (such as Aristotelian physics), or never true in the first place (e.g. two spatial dimensions instead of three). Some of Arthur C. Clarke's stories fall here. However, given the overlap with fantasy, it can prove tricky to even classify a story as SF.

3. Physics Plus: Stories in this class once again have multiple forms of Applied Phlebotinum, but in contrast to the prior class, the author aims to justify these creations with real and invented natural laws — and these creations and others from the same laws will turn up again and again in new contexts. Works like Schlock Mercenary, David Weber's Honor Harrington series, David Brin's Uplift series, and the 2003-2009 Battlestar Galactica fall in this class. Most Real Robot shows fall somewhere between Classes 2 and 3.

I'd like to play around with numbers and such beforehand, though. There's going to be initial choices of background, allegiance, XO specialty, crew specialty, etc before coming to the ship purchase.

I was thinking of using the numbers from here as a baseline for most hyper capable ships:

http://galciv.wikia.com/wiki/hull

with a few modifications to make cargo ships bigger, multiplying HP by 10, rounding capacity, etc. Carriers would probably be included.

I'd use acceleration and propulsion from the Honorverse as well, and possibly names for sides, as well.

Depending on allegiance, you'd have different objectives and plots. I've got plenty of ideas.

Anyone interested? 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:51:35 pm by Ross Vernal »

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check/development: You Are An Admiral
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:20:02 pm »

Would this be a roleplay game, a strategy combat game, or a suggestion game?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 03:42:10 pm »

Sort of all.

The players as a whole would represent the Admiral while playing individual officers controlling the ships and making decisions in the field.

This does include combat, crews/officers can level, etc.  The ships operate at a certain base efficiency level, and over time and experience, the on-board computers will also gain experience for the overall bonus (tactics and data from fights uploaded into the central databases, etc etc.)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:33:44 pm »

This is interesting. PTW
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »

A Ross Vernal Forum Game?

Sign me up!

Captain Hammer will return.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:31:43 pm »

Yeah, I would be interested. Depending on the level of activity needed, I'll probably play.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:10:40 pm »

PTP

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:16:39 pm »

I'd play it.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 10:19:39 pm »

Im interested.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:51:43 am »

Interested.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:46:31 am »

Interested.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »

Well, this is excellent as far as players.

Now, numbers are going to be a bit harder. I'm not 100% on the sizes and speeds, or even starting funds. I am also not entirely sure how to handle fighters as far as price - if the cost of the fighter was the cost of the weapons, it would make the concept mostly pointless

Nunzillor

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:07 pm »

PTW

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 03:30:42 pm »

So wait are we playing the Admiral or the crew?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 04:07:03 pm »

Both. Players votes as the Admiral, but are also individually playing captains, execs, SPAEC MREENS, etc.

At this point, it's about getting numbers nailed down. Mass, speed, costs, logistics, etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7