Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Why are you NOT a DF master?  (Read 13935 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Why are you NOT a DF master?
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 04:55:13 pm »

Well I've now figured out pump stacks but haven't touched minecarts. Progress?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:45 pm »

I think I'm far too cautious to ever dare experiment. I'll try.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 07:54:40 pm »

UNLEASH THE ASCII WTIHIN

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:37 pm »

UNLEASH THE ASCII WTIHIN

Monoscii switched on.

Funkmaster Rick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 08:37:54 pm »

I have yet to properly create a waterfall, either of the standard or Dwarven variety, for my lemmings to enjoy and ruminate upon.

I have also yet to properly play an unarmed monk-wrestler in Adventurer Mode. I don't think you can really claim to have beaten the game till you've killed the leader of every civilization with no armour, and only using weapons you temporarily appropriate from the guards.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:14 am »

I'm NOT a DF master because:
  • I've never built a minecart shotgun.
  • I've never won a fight against clowns (not for a lack of trying).
  • I've never tamed a dragon.
  • I've never captured a necromancer.
  • I've never had a vampire/werebeast-only fort.
  • I've never built a surface fort in an evil biome.
  • I've never built a dwarfputer.
The list goes on, and on, and on...

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 02:57:29 am »

First time writer long time lurker (about 4 years lurker). I have decided it's time to get involved with this community and what would be a better place for first post then this thread.
I have played DF for 6 or 7 years and i have never:
defeated HFS
had legendary military with candy armor
killed enemy with magma
used minecart for anything else then QSP
used soap (in previous fort i almost did it, but goblins got me first)
used vampires for something fun
had more then 200 dwarf
had child only/immigrant free fort
had a war with elves
used war prisoners for military training
Ok, this list is getting long and is still incomplete. I should start new fort and try to do 2 random things from this list.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 06:33:19 pm »

I am not a DF Master because I have never:

* Released the clowns, let alone colonized their home
* Figured out minecarts (how they what the thing and wot?)
* Trapped an FB in a cage
* Figured out how to get a caged GCS to web enemies (related to the one previous)
* Been able to play Adventure Mode without crashes
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2015, 07:17:33 pm »

I'm going to take the last few posts and make them a checklist for DF mastery.

Released the clowns, let alone colonized their home
Figured out minecarts (how they what the thing and wot?)
Trapped an FB in a cage
Figured out how to get a caged GCS to web enemies (related to the one previous)
Been able to play Adventure Mode without crashes
defeated HFS

had legendary military with candy armor (I'm too lazy to use my addy, plus what would be the point when they never get hit)
killed enemy with magma (only by bringing the enemy to the magma, though)
used minecart for anything else then QSP
used soap (in previous fort i almost did it, but goblins got me first)
used vampires for something fun (if I get a vampire visitor I'm making a well of immortality)
had more then 200 dwarf
had child only/immigrant free fort
(had a tiny island fort once)
had a war with elves
used war prisoners for military training
I've never built a minecart shotgun.
I've never won a fight against clowns (not for a lack of trying).
I've never tamed a dragon.
(a roc counts)
I've never captured a necromancer.
I've never had a vampire/werebeast-only fort. (technically, because a vamp was the last survivor)
I've never built a surface fort in an evil biome.
I've never built a dwarfputer.
I have yet to properly create a waterfall, either of the standard or Dwarven variety, for my lemmings to enjoy and ruminate upon.
I have also yet to properly play an unarmed monk-wrestler in Adventurer Mode. (I once punched a bronze colossus to death)

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2015, 02:03:58 am »

Hell, I'm the DF master noob if I'm anything. I cannot credit a single awesome undertaking to my name in DF, and my average fort lifetime doesn't make it beyond 2 years under most circumstances.

The Big D

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bears for their fuzzy-wuzzyness
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2015, 03:11:17 am »

I'm not a DF master because even though I've played the game on and off for 3 years, so many mechanics remain mysterious and eldritch to me.
I just have this terrible mental picture of this beet-looking thing bursting out of someone's stomach and being like "Neeeeed phosphaaaaates"
If it's magma resistant, mod it so it's not!

Capsicum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:09 pm »

Lack of free time.  :(

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2015, 07:10:07 pm »

I don't think I've ever even attempted a minecart system. *add to long term goals*

I cannot manage to get Dwarf Therapist to a) not lock up itself and the game when committing changes, and b) when changes actually make it in, manage to get the fort saved without locking up DF.

Following from the prior, I find it frustrating to manage large quantities of dwarves at once. I like a highly regimented labour pool, with only a few jobs being shared (farmer and herbalist, mechanic/architect and something used more commonly, etc) on a single dwarf. Without a working Therapist though, this is frustrating as I have to track down each dwarf in-game, edit labours, then edit nicknames to match.

Aquifers have always defeated me, though I greatly desire to build a fort with a built in wash/drainage system.

Never did a pump stack. Prior computers wouldn't handle it though.

Never did a power plant. Prior computers wouldn't handle it.

I haven't made a waterfall, though that's also because until this computer, a waterfall would have melted my processor. Assuming the save hasn't been corrupted by repeated crashes, that's a longer term goal in my current fort.

I've never had a competent medical team. Given that the RL hospitals around here are worse than DF hospitals (Thanks Methodist North!), I think that's by design. I actually do have an equipped, if not staffed, hospital in my current fort.

Never had a vampire or werecritter living in my forts.

Never allowed a noble to survive in my forts. Leaders must lead by example, and thus all managersandpoliticians nobles must, while naked and unarmed, kill however many POW goblins and trolls I may have in the arena before being allowed to take their positions. Ifwhen they die, they get buried in the commons area, unworthy to be buried with the military.

Never managed to anger the elves enough to declare war. Not due to lack of trying mind you, they just seem very passive. Or maybe the mound of elf corpses makes them afraid.   

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2015, 11:19:01 am »

I don't think I've ever even attempted a minecart system. *add to long term goals*

I cannot manage to get Dwarf Therapist to a) not lock up itself and the game when committing changes, and b) when changes actually make it in, manage to get the fort saved without locking up DF.

Following from the prior, I find it frustrating to manage large quantities of dwarves at once. I like a highly regimented labour pool, with only a few jobs being shared (farmer and herbalist, mechanic/architect and something used more commonly, etc) on a single dwarf. Without a working Therapist though, this is frustrating as I have to track down each dwarf in-game, edit labours, then edit nicknames to match.

Aquifers have always defeated me, though I greatly desire to build a fort with a built in wash/drainage system.

Never did a pump stack. Prior computers wouldn't handle it though.

Never did a power plant. Prior computers wouldn't handle it.

I haven't made a waterfall, though that's also because until this computer, a waterfall would have melted my processor. Assuming the save hasn't been corrupted by repeated crashes, that's a longer term goal in my current fort.

I've never had a competent medical team. Given that the RL hospitals around here are worse than DF hospitals (Thanks Methodist North!), I think that's by design. I actually do have an equipped, if not staffed, hospital in my current fort.

Never had a vampire or werecritter living in my forts.

Never allowed a noble to survive in my forts. Leaders must lead by example, and thus all managersandpoliticians nobles must, while naked and unarmed, kill however many POW goblins and trolls I may have in the arena before being allowed to take their positions. Ifwhen they die, they get buried in the commons area, unworthy to be buried with the military.

Never managed to anger the elves enough to declare war. Not due to lack of trying mind you, they just seem very passive. Or maybe the mound of elf corpses makes them afraid.   

OMG! never had a werecritter or vampire in your fortress?
 the chances of this happen for a long period of time is very remote, ultra rare....
i'm super noob i don't know nothing about military yet (except how to create squads) and i don't know anything about mechanics, never had a magma smelter and stuff, i just know how to farm and make a stone industry works, but almost every fortress that i tried ended because of a werecreature! i panic and never remember the name of infected dorfs to crush them, i don't even know how to make a burrow below the bridge to crush problematic dwarfs, i mean thats why i'm not a DF Master =D because i just know how to farm and make stone crafts and the warecritter always came and stops the fun
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:21:04 am by hemperor »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2015, 11:48:48 am »

the warecritter always came and starts the fun

FTFY
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6