Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Why are you NOT a DF master?  (Read 13930 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you NOT a DF master?
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 06:00:30 pm »

I am not a Master of the game because I learn a new thing every time I play. As I should.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 06:39:02 pm »

I just learned you can make routes for the military via the [N]otes menu. I've been trying to figure that one out for months.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 06:58:01 pm »

Don't understand minecarts how to get threw aquifers or the military but I succeeded at defending from the HFS when I mixed up designate all and automine useing copper weapons.then flesh started to melt off... Also LAG kills my forts not dfhack not attacks its windows can't tell if this is working so the solution is kill it OR kill it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:03:41 pm by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Dzlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2015, 12:50:08 am »

What is considered a master?

After only about 2 years of failing, I now manage to get almost every fortress up and running to at least be self sustainable.
Farms, near surface in dirt. Workshops, metal industries, and cooks/brewers/livestock.
I can use my military somewhat competently (Though I'm not sure how the schedules really work, I just have everyone training)
A small squad of crossbowdwarves (about 4 to 6) always training will quickly get to great skills and take out beasts (From the caverns) that attack (from my past experiences) and then axedwarves train on the weaker targets relatively safely.
I've manage to get a working well inside my hospital a few times.

I've also never touched minecarts, lye/soap/dyes, cheese making and most of farming
I just Fish, Gather, Butchur (rarely hunt), Cook and Brew

Never gone near Adamantine or Hell or anything
(Bar once where I dug straight stairs as far down as I could once passing caverns and well, right above huge sea's of magma to place forges out of interest
Where Imps killed all my dwarves)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2015, 03:00:19 am »

A master has done EVERYTHING, accorrding to this thread. Which probably nobody has.
One wheel short of a wagon

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 11:19:17 am »

I'd say a Master is someone who can manage their dwarves well enough in any and every situation that they can, at will, cause a Fortress-wide meltdown that kills off everyone. Or a Fortress-wide meltdown that kills ALMOST everyone, and then recovers the fort from there until the next time a meltdown is desired.

That does require knowing how to do everything, but it's a bit more than that. It's about control and being able to read the situation.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2015, 02:12:51 pm »

I'd say a Master is someone who can manage their dwarves well enough in any and every situation that they can, at will, cause a Fortress-wide meltdown that kills off everyone. Or a Fortress-wide meltdown that kills ALMOST everyone, and then recovers the fort from there until the next time a meltdown is desired.

That does require knowing how to do everything, but it's a bit more than that. It's about control and being able to read the situation.
I originally considered a master to be somebody who has done everything there is to do in the game and knows the ins and outs of every system well enough that if desired they could make an effective fort that at least partially implements each system.  That's of course ignoring the adventure mode portion of the game, which is equally relevant but it harder to gauge, since even a master could probably get offed in adventure mode by a lucky wooden crossbow bolt.

But I actually like Urist's definition too. Sound's a lot more elegant. :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2015, 02:32:05 pm »

I've been playing since 2D. 

I've started forts that bridged the underground river, and the chasm, and started playing in the sweet land between magma and underground invasions.  I've lost because winter arrived and I didn't have enough food.

I can edit the raws, I've made sophisticated minecart delivery systems.  I've had indoor plumbing, waterfalls and magma falls.  Workflow has destroyed the micro.

I restart forts after a single year all the time.

I'm obsessed with the architecture of my forts.

I've yet to breach the deeps.

Maybe this time...

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2015, 08:08:35 pm »

I've been playing since 2D. 

I've started forts that bridged the underground river, and the chasm, and started playing in the sweet land between magma and underground invasions.  I've lost because winter arrived and I didn't have enough food.

I can edit the raws, I've made sophisticated minecart delivery systems.  I've had indoor plumbing, waterfalls and magma falls.  Workflow has destroyed the micro.

I restart forts after a single year all the time.

I'm obsessed with the architecture of my forts.

I've yet to breach the deeps.

Maybe this time...

inb4 tantrum spiral due to murdering a cat

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 12:04:46 pm »

Yep, restarted during year 2.  Keeping the same map though.  It's completely flat 2x3 zone with a surface volcano, fire clay, no trees, 10k cassiterite & copper nuggets, candy, it's a nice place.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 09:44:59 pm »

I would be incredulous about the no trees bit being sweet, but I can just assume you went cavern exploring for bed materials and used the volcano as Armok intended.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:53 pm »

I've never pierced the candy layer. I mean, I've dug down to the lake, but I have yet to extract the blue shiny or pay the HFS a visit. And I've not really delved into complex mechanisms or minecart systems, even though I've always wanted to.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2015, 10:14:47 pm »

I would be incredulous about the no trees bit being sweet, but I can just assume you went cavern exploring for bed materials and used the volcano as Armok intended.

I import wood for beds, embarked with 60 logs, all my pots and crafts come from stoneware.  I had this little above ground fort and magma moat finished by the end of year 1.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »

Never done mine carts successfully; never opened the path to HFS or other interactions of that ilk.

Pierced aquifers but can't claim to be good at it... usually involves a lot of death and cursing.

Not skilled at complicated machinery, like repeaters and such.

Can't seem to master the art of living in a reanimating biome.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:40:55 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

FruitBird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 07:25:26 pm »

Cant seem to wrap my head around stationing my soldiers. Also I'm a massive coward who turns invasions off on the Lazy Newb Pack launcher until I feel my military and fort are prepped enough.
"is this a game or are you trying to describe quantum physics to me holy shit" Friends reaction to me describing DF
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6