Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attack passes right through.  (Read 2246 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Attack passes right through.
« on: April 29, 2015, 02:37:07 am »

So I made a wild version of the kobolds, basically something to run around underground and be adopted as pets if we so desire, but I was testing them in the arena and when it tried to punch a elf it said the attack passed straight through the elfs head, now this only happened once and it was able to hit him just fine with weapons infact he killed that elf pretty thoroughly and the elf cut him up something bad too, but I just want to know if this is a potential issue and what might be causing it, I dont want to spend hours making a world and making sure everythings perfect and than having to reload it cause of some semi corporeal creatures..
Why would his fists past straight through one time?

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
Re: Attack passes right through.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:23:55 am »

Elves has no brains. When your creature struck him in the ear, attack passed right through.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »

Elves has no brains. When your creature struck him in the ear, attack passed right through.
This... is not the real reason right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 01:08:00 pm »

No not really.  It seems like a few tissues failed to be set up properly, that kind of thing tends to happen when a bodypart is set to exist but the bodypart isn't actually made of anything.  It can give that message if either the puncher or the punch-e that have a problem, but since it sounds like it was fighting a vanilla elf it's probably the kobold that has a problem.

One of the best places to look would be a file called errorlog.txt in the same folder as the dwarf fortress exe.  Modding errors usually show up there, along with the odd pathing error.  Does it give any messages about tissues not being defined or anything like that?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 01:10:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 01:58:20 pm »

No not really.  It seems like a few tissues failed to be set up properly, that kind of thing tends to happen when a bodypart is set to exist but the bodypart isn't actually made of anything.  It can give that message if either the puncher or the punch-e that have a problem, but since it sounds like it was fighting a vanilla elf it's probably the kobold that has a problem.

One of the best places to look would be a file called errorlog.txt in the same folder as the dwarf fortress exe.  Modding errors usually show up there, along with the odd pathing error.  Does it give any messages about tissues not being defined or anything like that?
nope, nothing in the error log, plus I basically just copy and pasted the kobolds info and changed the title.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 09:47:26 am »

Well, then maybe my version is not just a racist wild talk as it seemed to be.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 09:50:08 am »

Hehe yea I really want to give an answer but I'm afraid I don't have one.  It might be that kobolds are just so small that their punch body part gets a 0 size.  I would think others would have noticed that though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!