Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Particularlly nasty sydrome (Formerly: Eye damage question)  (Read 1311 times)

xana55

• Bay Watcher
  • Booze Detected: Initiating Drinking Protocal
    • View Profile
Particularlly nasty sydrome (Formerly: Eye damage question)
« on: April 29, 2015, 12:11:22 am »

So I ran into a forgotten beast who's special dust bruises the hell out of dwarves without doing any other kind of damage. Unfortunately this caused tissue damage to the eyes meaning many dwarves are now suffering the Vision Lost tag. I'm curious now though, since the nerves aren't damaged in any way will the eyes of these dwarves recover or will they be blind forever? Realistically the eye can actually recover from some serious trauma as long as its nerve isn't destroyed and still be functional but I am not aware if this would work within DF medicine.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:36:20 am by xana55 »
Urist The Foolish: Beheaded by a swarm of cats 379 BC.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Eye damage question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 02:44:17 am »

realistically the eye cannot recover if its the transparent skin in front of the lense that became so damaged that it became intransparent. The eye itself will recover, but its useless because as stated
the foremost skin is not transparent anymore.

The eyes might heal somewhat, but vision lost is vision lost for those saps.
It comes with the advantage that they dont flee from enemies because they cant see them.
But as well with the disadvantage that they now suck at crafting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:46:02 am by Astrid »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:07:20 am »

They are great siege operator material now, as they won't run away if enemies get close.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:27:29 am »

Well, the outermost layer of the eye can recover from some damage through healing, but major sources of loss or impairment of vision are caused by occlusion of the  transparent goo in the middle of the eye (if it's blood, cauterizing the blood leaks [using laser] and then sucking the blood out can fix some of these problems currently) and clouding of the lense (the latter is currently treated by replacement of the lense, but that's also way beyond the DF time line capabilities). Also, damage to the retina doesn't heal normally (some stem cell research indicate that might be possible in the future).

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 07:34:17 am »

Let us know what happens.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:21:38 pm »

Let us know what happens.

For the moment most of them seem to be permanently blind but another issue has come up, about a third of my armed forces are unconscious. They have been for a significantly long time that I am beginning to grow worried. Anyone ever see a permanent unconsciousness syndrome?

xana55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 02:35:33 am »

Well things have taken a turn for the odd, so in addition to being blind it appears about 6 out of 10 dwarves exposed to this particular forgotten beasts syndrome go completely comatose. Unconscious apparently permanently. This then progresses into one of the various forms of insanity in no particular order or reason. So far a wood worker has gone Melancholic, an Axe Dwarf has gone stark raving mad, and a child has gone berserk while still being completely comatose.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Particularlly nasty sydrome (Formerly: Eye damage question)
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:53:59 am »

Interesting... i wonder if Toady has added something new without anyone noticingm until now that is.
Havent had that kind of syndrome yet.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:09:44 am »

Interesting... i wonder if Toady has added something new without anyone noticingm until now that is.
Havent had that kind of syndrome yet.

An interesting thought but I doubt it, I'm using a two to three year old copy of the game. Probably just got hit with a stroke of madness from the random number generator.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 05:50:29 am »

It's a quirk in how the game works. Without seeing the save, I'm guessing your entire military needs healthcare (look in z->Health and see if D is present on their name). Unfortunately, being unconscious cancels out the rest job, which prevents them from being recovered (you can check the "j" menu to see if there are Recover Wounded jobs, my guess is there isn't). If they're so badly injuried that they keep falling unconscious they fail to rest, and thus fail to recover and starve to death -_-;.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

xana55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 07:08:15 am »

It's a quirk in how the game works. Without seeing the save, I'm guessing your entire military needs healthcare (look in z->Health and see if D is present on their name). Unfortunately, being unconscious cancels out the rest job, which prevents them from being recovered (you can check the "j" menu to see if there are Recover Wounded jobs, my guess is there isn't). If they're so badly injuried that they keep falling unconscious they fail to rest, and thus fail to recover and starve to death -_-;.

Yeah see I thought the same thing at first to but it's been a few months and none of them are even hungry. They were all retrieved, diagnosed, and sent to bed rest as well so it's not like there just laying on the floor of a cave. Infact all of them are in there rooms being comatose. If it had been what you said I wouldn't have been so surprised actually. But this... this is weird. So either the rest of my dwarves are force feeding them as they sleep like a really primitive feeding tube or somehow there eating while unconscious. See what I mean when I said weird?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 07:41:18 am »

Lock one, or all away from the other dwarfes reach and see what happens is what i'd say.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:25 pm »

Lock one, or all away from the other dwarfes reach and see what happens is what i'd say.
For !Science!, but I would only lock away only and keep the others forexperimentation observation. Assign them war animals though. Just in case.

xana55

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 12:25:26 pm »

Some serious !science! going on in the fortress however the experiment has hit a snag. All of them are going insane, most melancholic or stark raving mad, which means where before there fellow dwarves were forcing there unconscious bodies to eat now they are refusing food entirely and slowly starving to death. It appears that insanity is simply the eventual outcome. Luckily this condition isn't contagious and the creature that left it didn't create any viable means of spreading it before death.