Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 10: Symbiosis]  (Read 23896 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 9: Why Not]
« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:16 am »

She sticks her tongue out. "Hunting me for some reason. Coward-tyrant, afraid I'll topple him from his throne too.

I don't pay much attention to the rest of the gods."

She glances around.

"Seem like an incompetent lot, though."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2015, 02:20:49 am »

I prefer to call it being cautious.  :P

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2015, 07:46:14 am »

((Hey, now, we didn't make fate. Not our fault that the universe plays dice with us.))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2015, 07:52:34 am »

God does not play dice with the universe!

The universe plays dice with the gods!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:57 am »

Da'at unmantles and creates the Lumen Civilization.
He obtains the Sphere of Time

Members of the Lumen Civilization build their great cities inside Cathedral Cores. They use their light magic to cut a hole in the shell of the Cathedral cores, and then quickly get in before the shell regrows. Some groups often travel to places where people are in need of protection, such as frontlines or slums. They help those in need of help, and if necessary they will also take them back to their cities. Their cities inside of the Cathedral Cores are made of layers. The bottom layers are filled with farms (the crops grow incredibly fast because of the Lightbulb Mushrooms, and food is their main export), the middle layers are houses, and the top layers are schools, hospitals, libraries and other similar institutions. When they are sieged they just stay inside of their nearly invunerable cities.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:46 am »

How is that civilization related to the sphere of time?

Also, don't the Cathedral Cores mind-control any creatures living inside them?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2015, 12:52:36 pm »

((We're waiting for Pencil_Art to post a non-speech action, I believe?))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2015, 06:19:57 am »

Turn 10: Symbiosis

What's with the random m next to my 0xp? Has malice stopped building up inside the sphere?

-------

Make the Sorcquitoes carriers of a disease that effects Djinn, causing runaway blood production, making those effected bloat up like grotesque blood balloons. Perhaps one in ten or even less of those bitten by the mosquitoes actually show symptoms.
[8, Poor] The disease functions as intended, but doesn't last very long.

Bloodbloat added to Sorcquitoes

Ol'kuur shot his multitude of gazes through the universe. Two stars. Three celestial bodies, two of them trapped by a scared god-child. And a celestial beast, claimed by its creator. Not a particularly welcoming suite of worlds for prospective void travellers, especially as the void spawn still roamed, but there was little most of the gods could do right now. Especially Ol'kuur, in this confining form of a Patron that barely allowed for seven heads. How could other being live with a body that didn't reshape to their whims? But this was not the time to regain the lost power. This was the time provide more shapes to the Lineages.

Give the Lineages the knowledge of domestication, especially the domestication of whisperwings. Reluctantly limit their expansionist nature by declaring Sundancer off-limits.
[9, Poor] The Lineages learn the arts of domestication, though they're "a little" eccentric with it.

Lineages taught domestication

Shevel grimaced as once again, her creations went further into the darkness. She sighed and continued to salvage what she could.

Blood is powerful, but one must always remember that the mind is far better.

Make the Empire value intelligence, wisdom, innovation and initiative. Coming up with a useful invention or discovery ensures safety against Elder feasts for the duration of their lifetime.
[5, Poor] The Empire reluctantly begins trying to limit the number of useful members they lose to berserk factional despots eating them alive.

Empire now eating fewer inventors

Ark got many toys and many more players but they fail to play non-violent games with each other. Something Alerama wanted to change. The Spirit spent all his time communicating with various sapient beings, teaching them languages of others, teaching them to overcome differences and cooperate for common good. Yet she never communicated with her own creatures because she lost interest to Rifths as soon as they were created.

Unmantle to create a mixed Shards, Verna, Lumen civilization. If mixed civ is impossible then create Shards civilization that seeks cooperation with other races

Gain sphere Cooperation
[6, Poor] The Trees of Light come together to form a society, each helping the other. The Shards benefit greatly from having someone to talk to and manage inter-Shard relations, the Verna benefit from the supernatural gifts of their neighbors, and the Lumen benefit from having people to guard and talk to about their nightmares.

Trees of Light formed
Now Patron of [Shields][Fusion][Cooperation]

Da'at unmantles and creates the Lumen Civilization.
He obtains the Sphere of Time

Members of the Lumen Civilization build their great cities inside Cathedral Cores. They use their light magic to cut a hole in the shell of the Cathedral cores, and then quickly get in before the shell regrows. Some groups often travel to places where people are in need of protection, such as frontlines or slums. They help those in need of help, and if necessary they will also take them back to their cities. Their cities inside of the Cathedral Cores are made of layers. The bottom layers are filled with farms (the crops grow incredibly fast because of the Lightbulb Mushrooms, and food is their main export), the middle layers are houses, and the top layers are schools, hospitals, libraries and other similar institutions. When they are sieged they just stay inside of their nearly invunerable cities.
[8, Poor] The rather arrogantly or perhaps just simplistically named Lumen Civilization forms and gains an obsession with Cathedral Cores. They're not quite a sophisticated at it as you were hoping, however, for a number of reasons. The fact that they're slowly molded to the Core's will being one of them.

Your attempt to gain the Aspect of Time from this doesn't go very well, on account of it having nothing to do with Time.

Lumen Civilization formed on Ark
Now Patron of [Light][Protection][Thralldom]

Quote from: Wretch
? ? ?
[8, Poor] Wretch convinces that Voidspawn she's been talking to that it should ferry her and anyone she specifies through space for a fee. Of course, being a Voidspawn what it actually means is "agree to do all that, then feast on them all halfway."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aaaaaaand we're back to Turn 8 luck.

((Hey, now, we didn't make fate. Not our fault that the universe plays dice with us.))
I'm sure that's the only problem.

((We're waiting for Pencil_Art to post a non-speech action, I believe?))
We were, but time waits for no god!

And also snubs Lemonpie, apparently.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 10: Symbiosis]
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2015, 07:52:19 am »

Planner had been carefully observing during his many acts of creations, trying to find ways to improve the process, and had finally come to a conclusion. It would seem the vagaries of luck were heavily involved in the divine creation process. If he could manage to create a species that tweaked probability in its favour, and then make one of their kind his familiar to give him the same powers...

Yes, yes this had potential!

Create the Fateweavers on Flow. These roughly housecat-sized spiders use a multitude of hunting tactics, from sedentary web-weaving to active ambush hunting. A favoured tactic is weaving massive communal webs across sorcquito spawning pools, feasting on them by the thousands.

However, their greatest power is their ability to make luck as it were, improving their own good luck. A Sorcquitoe would just happen to not notice that web in its flightpath, or perhaps a sudden gust of wind may push it into the strands of sticky silk.  The spider might happen to jump just right when attacking its prey, the launching surface gripped just so, the wind conditions compensated with just such. However, while highly successful predators, their egg clutches are small and rarely conceived. -2 Size +2 Power.

((Okay, so I'm guessing you can see where I'm trying to go with this IronyOwl. If trying to get bonuses on our rolls are a no go please stop me here))
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:20:39 am by Demonic Spoon »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2015, 09:08:50 am »

Instill into the Lineages the idea that the greatest Lineage should make its home in the Whispering Caves, and that those Caves are a holy place that shall not be disturbed by violence.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2015, 10:12:19 am »

Planner had been carefully observing during his many acts of creations, trying to find ways to improve the process, and had finally come to a conclusion. It would seem the vagaries of luck were heavily involved in the divine creation process. If he could manage to create a species that tweaked probability in its favour, and then make one of their kind his familiar to give him the same powers...

Yes, yes this had potential!

Create the Fateweavers on Flow. These roughly housecat-sized spiders use a multitude of hunting tactics, from sedentary web-weaving to active ambush hunting. A favoured tactic is weaving massive communal webs across sorcquito spawning pools, feasting on them by the thousands.

However, their greatest power is their ability to make luck as it were, improving their own good luck. A Sorcquitoe would just happen to not notice that web in its flightpath, or perhaps a sudden gust of wind may push it into the strands of sticky silk.  The spider might happen to jump just right when attacking its prey, the launching surface gripped just so, the wind conditions compensated with just such. However, while highly successful predators, their egg clutches are small and rarely conceived. -2 Size +2 Power.

((Okay, so I'm guessing you can see where I'm trying to go with this IronyOwl. If trying to get bonuses on our rolls are a no go please stop me here))
((Can't let you do that, Star Fox. Maybe if it was a coin flip for really good or really bad luck, or had hideous side effects...))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2015, 10:31:33 am »

((Can't let you do that, Star Fox. Maybe if it was a coin flip for really good or really bad luck, or had hideous side effects...))
Feared as much. Although, could you give me some ideas for valid hideous side-effects (literally drawing a blank besides something vague like insanity, or the works coming out twisted, with a hunger for the flesh of their own kind or something) so I can consider if it would be worth it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 10:34:44 am by Demonic Spoon »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2015, 10:54:19 am »

Feared as much. Although, could you give me some ideas for valid hideous side-effects (literally drawing a blank besides something vague like insanity, or the works coming out twisted, with a hunger for the flesh of their own kind or something) so I can consider if it would be worth it?
((The best way to think of this is to boil it down to its essentials. Increasing your numbers means either an auto-success, or an auto-not-bad-things, at its extreme. Even if we're only talking about a +1 or a percentage chance of a +1, that's still sort of the idea, just on a smaller scale.

So the downside has to be commensurate with that, though possibly also on a smaller scale. What would justify an auto-success? Probably a hideous cost, or some kind of attached auto-failure, or adding to a doomsday counter, or enraging your neighbors, and so on and so forth. What would justify an auto-not-bad-things? Probably auto-boring-or-mediocre-things, or bad things elswhere, or a hideous cost again,and so on.

So back to +some reasonble number, we've got a good litany of dire things to pay for it. Some kind of cost, increased chance of failure to counter your increased chance of success, decreased chance of success to pay for your decreased chance of failure, some sort of "pollution" or other negative but possibly chance-based or communal cost, your creations being tainted in other ways, rolling on a table, and generally anything else you could think of that lets me say "I don't mind at all that Demonic Spoon is sort of auto-succeeding, because this is sort of way more fun than him rolling a 1!"))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2015, 02:16:04 am »

Getting somewhere...

Teach metalworking to the Empire especially on the creation of tools.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2015, 02:28:00 am »

((The best way to think of this is to boil it down to its essentials. Increasing your numbers means either an auto-success, or an auto-not-bad-things, at its extreme. Even if we're only talking about a +1 or a percentage chance of a +1, that's still sort of the idea, just on a smaller scale.

So the downside has to be commensurate with that, though possibly also on a smaller scale. What would justify an auto-success? Probably a hideous cost, or some kind of attached auto-failure, or adding to a doomsday counter, or enraging your neighbors, and so on and so forth. What would justify an auto-not-bad-things? Probably auto-boring-or-mediocre-things, or bad things elswhere, or a hideous cost again,and so on.

So back to +some reasonble number, we've got a good litany of dire things to pay for it. Some kind of cost, increased chance of failure to counter your increased chance of success, decreased chance of success to pay for your decreased chance of failure, some sort of "pollution" or other negative but possibly chance-based or communal cost, your creations being tainted in other ways, rolling on a table, and generally anything else you could think of that lets me say "I don't mind at all that Demonic Spoon is sort of auto-succeeding, because this is sort of way more fun than him rolling a 1!"))
So I'm getting a few possibilities that I'd like from this
  • I steal luck from the other gods, for each +1 I have on a roll another god suffers a -1? Preferably targeting Wretch.
  • Bad things happen elsewhere as a result of my doing stuff. I'm thinking of having the bad stuff appear outside the divine barrier so the Voidspawn can frolic around in hellspace while I make neat stuff on the inside.
  • I steal from other creations to boost my luck when making my creations. So for example, to get that +3 bonus I'd have to cause the Verna to get inflicted with some sort of wasting sickness or something like that?
  • "neutral results", that is to say the 5-16 range no longer occurs, I only get malus, failure, bonus and crit?

Which of these would be acceptable?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 04:07:56 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15