Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 10: Symbiosis]  (Read 24012 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 2: Ambition]
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2015, 04:30:15 am »

Maybe. Let's see what Irony says.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2015, 11:42:53 pm »

Dammit Irony. Turn incoming.

Unmantle to make the Verna more intelligent; Give them a language, and expanded neural center, and the ability to socialize better, but generally within castes. Also make the Elders not fuse together. Gain Sphere of Intelligence. +1 to Power with my XP.

"Not intelligent enough." The Maker mumbled, pondering his creations.

Perturbed, he materializes near the Flow, and watches the other gods working on it.

"Vampire Elders? Oh dear." He says finally.
I'm working on the turn now, and am a little unsure what to make of this. Normally Unmantling as a Spirit produces a civilization, but this appears to be an attempt to alter an existing sapient instead.

I'm fine with either, but I'd like to avoid running an entirely different action than intended if possible. If you're quick about it, you could clarify; if not, I'll probably just do whatever's more ruinous. :3
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2015, 12:05:04 am »

Could I turn the Verna into a civilization?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2015, 12:27:26 am »

Yes. They're not the most stereotypical civ candidates around, but they could manage.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2015, 12:56:03 am »

I'll do that then. thanks.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2015, 01:34:26 am »

Turn 3: Hunger

ERROR: Turn lost
Running Summary Turn

Stats and descriptions accurate

None obey me. They will rue their folly.

Change the aspects of the Glorious, making them whole and magnificent. He also grants them the ability to travel between worlds and stars.
You succeed; they look imposing and awesome, and the most powerful can catapult themselves to other worlds. They usually can't get the heat and light needed to catapult themselves back, though.

((I see no downsides to that malus Irony :P))

...Ah. Vampires. Diablerie. Of course.

Shevel was...surprised...and conflicted. As a mother, she was horrified that her elder children would feed on their siblings. But as a being of Progress, she was awfully curious. Would not this factor aid in the progression of civilisation? A few generations of this experiment would be useful for future tasks. While she hated herself for the willful sacrifice of her progeny, she knew their sacrifice would not be in vain.

Modify a handful Djinn to become enlightened. Called the Mahdi, these beings are capable of the same magics as the Elders, although they require energy to make use of their 'spells'. As such, they constantly need power sources (only food for now) to cast spells. Their bloodlines tend to possess the same abilities as their progenitors.

Modify the Elder Djinn so that they only thirst for blood and that they are unable to feed on closely-related kin. They also gain a desire to protect their bloodline. Furthermore, they also gain the ability to Bond with younger djinn. This decreases their bloodlust as well as increasing their magical power;/they can draw energy from the those Bonded to power their spells. The bonded are termed Magisters and are gifted the ability to cast spells, although they feel weaker due to their blood being constantly drained by their Elder. Whilr each Magister makes the Elder stronger, it also makes them more lethargic. This eventually results in an Eldet stuck in a blood-induced coma. Magisterser can also make a lesser bond to an Apprentice which allows him to cast weaker spells in exchange for energy. Each Aaprentice weakens the magical strength of the bonded Magister. An elder-magister Bond results in slower aging for the Magister, lengthening their youth but inhibiting the metamorphosis to an Elder.
You dun goof and make Djinn blood magical. Harvest time!

((I see no downsides to that malus Irony :P))
((I'm rather the same, while this isn't what I was going for, paranoia is actually pretty neat, its a logical outgrowth of the nature of their intelligence, and it'll help prevent infiltrators. In fact I'm half-tempted to justify their paranoia by making a species of infiltrators (such exist in real life, but for ants iirc), but trying not be evil just for the sake of it))

It'd also be accustomed to that, though; unless it was tidally locked, it wouldn't be a scorching desert world followed by suddenly a glacier, it'd be a scorching desert world that went icebox earlier and longer than scheduled.

Stars are indeed optional, though they're nice for tacking on additional effects. Flow has no day/night cycle, for instance, while Ark has those long, slow temperature/brightness swings.
Thinking about it some more, Sundancer has the ability to actively absorb heat and light though. Could it hover really close to Flow and cool it down? Considering Flow is eternally warm day, a variation in both light and heat should be pretty devastating to it, since, borrowing your logic, the Flowians wouldn't be adapted to such variations (at least initially). If necessary I'll invest some xp into Sundancer if and when I get some, to up its power so it'd be easier for it to do that.

Planner considered the Shards. While not as he had envisioned them, they had turned out well enough. He would have to mould their paranoia slightly at some point if they were ever to form the grand societies he dreamed of in the future, but for now it would do quite nicely. He turned his attention to other matters.

Idly chewing up a tree with his large mandibles, he considered the all-encompassing forest of Ark. While impressive and atmospheric, in its current state it ultimately did not fit the requirements of the Planner. It needed some... variety?

The Planner's current form would do well for this plan actually. Flight and rapid jumping ability to escape any future predators, a thick and robust carapace, no overcomplexity in the bodyplan.

With a certain idle grace, the Planner laid the rare egg in his travel across the surface of the planet (gender was a fluid concept for a god), inspecting the Weald with some amusement. When the eggs hatched, they should help thin out the world-forest of Ark, perhaps even creating the rare clearing, where the sun touched the bare surface of the planet. You could even say he was helping the Wealdings!

Create the Godborn, on Ark, massive grashoppers with voracious appetites, each capable of devouring one of the large trees of Ark in minutes. Extreme herbivores, they feed on all forms of plant-matter, including the Wealdings. To make up for their tremondous power, the Godborn are rather rare. -2 Size +2 Power.
You dun HOLY SHIT the whole planet. Your Godborn mutate slowly in proximity to each other, eventually becoming a ravening locust swarm when they get sufficient numbers. Apocalypse cycle added.

Ol'kuur's multitude of eyes gazes upon the Whispering Caves, enraptured by its beauty and power. "Worthy." he whispers, worthy at least for now. The Kuron was not truly complete, but it was time for Ol'kuur to widen its gaze. Seeing the relative neglect of Flow compared to Ark, he approaches the desert world and studies it. An interesting world, indeed, but what could not be improved by Ol'kuur's caress?

He envisioned a mountain range that could catch some of the floating water mists, not a simple range, of course. A mountain range of paths twisting into places nowhere near, without a return path, unmappable.

He shares the idea with the creator of Flow, Shevel, and waits for her approval or rejection.

If Shevel approves, create a small, horseshoe-shaped mountain range on Flow infused with the ability to move travelers to other places on Flow, and just on Flow.

If Shevel disapproves, return to the Kuron and create a tiny mountain there consisting of colorful, strong chitin.

You succeed. Your mountains tend to transport those wandering too deep and looking for something else.

Dammit Irony. Turn incoming.

Unmantle to make the Verna more intelligent; Give them a language, and expanded neural center, and the ability to socialize better, but generally within castes. Also make the Elders not fuse together. Gain Sphere of Intelligence. +1 to Power with my XP.

"Not intelligent enough." The Maker mumbled, pondering his creations.

Perturbed, he materializes near the Flow, and watches the other gods working on it.

"Vampire Elders? Oh dear." He says finally.
Your civ comes out scholarly and such, but also savage and uncaring in their pursuit of knowledge.

Create Sunlight Rocs on the Ark. Sunlight Rocs are humongous birds capable of flying at the speed of light. Even though they are alive, they aren't made of flesh and bones, but of light, twisted in such a way that it can be touched. They are easily tamed.

Observe several groups of Lumen.
You overreach and end up with War Rocs that can bond to people.

Your lumen mostly wander around helping woodland critters and getting into fights with Verna. They occasionally draw the ire of Sunlight Rocs which usually ends about as poorly as you'd expect. Except when they tame them, but then that just means HOLY SHIT A GIANT ANGRY BIRD happens to whoever's bonded regularly instead of every once in a while.

Also now that the Verna have a civilization they're better organized and don't take a very keen view of your self righteous barbarians meddling in their pursuit of knowledge by torturing these squirrels to death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GAH. Spoiler and Encyclopedia are up to date, actual turn body is obviously way less flavorful and detailed than you'd prefer. The internets consumed all those.

"Thus I shall aim to limit my creation." Ol'kuur consents, pondering this heart thing Shevel suspects him to have.

((Action edited to keep travelers on Flow, assuming the creation works as intended.

Questions:
* Can two or more gods work together on a creation, and if so, to what effect? I'm assuming that only deities of the same tier could work together in that fashion.
* Could two or more gods of the same tier unmantle together into the same creation the same way?
* Do planes of existence fit into the power ladder somewhere? It seems small pocket planes could fit into the celestial object tier of abominations unmantling.
* Since realms as such, as opposed to regions, seem to be unable to be affected by titans or abominations directly, could a titan's unmantling affect a realm rather than creating a sapient race?
* Could the unmantling of a Patron create an object or building of power rather than an individual?))
*Probably but I don't know. They could probably work together if they had a creation that each could affect, like, I dunno, living mountains or something.
*I'd assume so.
*The normal way to do alternate dimensions would be making celestial bodies as gateways to a similarly-sized plane. Note that since gateways tend to be magical, this is usually going to get you fewer Realms than normal, but more control over conditions inside. You could attempt or ask about other methods if you think of them.
*+*I'm generally in favor of creative uses of Unmantling. The idea is to gate specific creations, not force everyone to have one of each, so if you don't like your current options feel free to think of something else.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 3: Hunger]
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2015, 01:48:48 am »

Create Lightbulb mushrooms on the Ark. Lightbulb mushrooms are mushooms made out of light, which grow on the Ark's forest floor. They produce a fairly large amount of light in a small area, allowing other plants to grow under the Ark's sun-blocking trees.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2015, 01:49:19 am »

So... the Rolls aren't shown anymore? Anyway,

Create the Fre-har on the Ark.

The Fre-Har are similar to the Verna in chemical make-up, having split from them earlier along the evolutionary line. Otherwise, they are completely different. The Fre-Har have a vaguely horse-like shape, with hard wooden hooves and sharp wooden horns on their head that regrow regularly. They sometimes have Lightbulbs growing on them, thus increasing the effectiveness of photosynthesis. They are fully tamable, but require different means then that of training regular animals. Their diet consists of Lightbulbs ((Yes, they will sometimes eat each other's Lightbulbs)), but they mostly use photosynthesis for energy. They seem to possess slight mystical powers, seemingly warping reality around them. They are quite intelligent, though incapable of higher thought. They seem to favor Verna as their riders, being made out of the same material and sharing quite a lot of the same genetic material. They are quite playful

Small, Uncommon. +1 to Rarity (boosting it up to Rare.)

((Can I add values to the Verna?))
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:03:52 am by Pencil_Art »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2015, 01:50:54 am »

So... the Rolls aren't shown anymore?

If I understand correctly, the turn was lost when it was finished, so this is just an accurate summary of it.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2015, 02:00:59 am »

Oh. Turn edited into my above post, and another question with it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2015, 02:03:28 am »

So... the Rolls aren't shown anymore?

If I understand correctly, the turn was lost when it was finished, so this is just an accurate summary of it.
Correct. Future turns will contain the rolls and more detailed descriptions unless I happen to hit the red button again. >_>

If you're curious and not concerned with total accuracy, I'm pretty sure the Verna civ was a [3, Malus], the Godborn were a [1, FAIL!], the Rocs were a [15, Good], I believe the mountains were a [Good] result but I don't recall the exact number in the slightest, the Djinn were a [Poor] result, I think a [7] or [8], and I think but am not certain the Glorious were a [17, Bonus].

((Can I add values to the Verna?))
If you mean boosting their Size or Power, generally not. If you mean adding on additional qualities or abilities, generally yes.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 02:04:31 am »

I just meant that they have no [SIZE] or [RARITY] values in the Encyclopaedia.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2015, 02:50:29 am »

Ah, yes. I tend to leave those out unless they're something other than [Medium][Normal].

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2015, 03:04:06 am »

Okay. Turn edited slightly.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2015, 04:34:25 am »

Might I ask how exactly the turn was lost? Something like a textarea cache plugin might be of use for you. Also damnit, those rolls.  :'(

Don't worry though! I know the solution! Stronger monsters that prey on the locusts! There is no way this could go wrong!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 06:27:06 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15