Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cadenianenu Chapter 2: The foundation of Axedanced  (Read 3082 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cadenianenu Chapter 2: The foundation of Axedanced
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:53 pm »

Why so many Legendary Dwarfs? :P

Erumara

• Bay Watcher
  • RNG POWERS! ACTIVATE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 11:47:30 am »

The Legendaries just won't stop coming! I haven't had the patience to check every dwarf but I doubt there's a single immigrant from anywhere BUT Plannedcrafted.
Things are getting interesting nonetheless, the next update is taking me quite some time to get everything documented.
Coming up later today: The dwarfiest of shenanigans.

Erumara

• Bay Watcher
  • RNG POWERS! ACTIVATE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 03:18:26 pm »

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 10-02-32

WAR IS UPON US!
SOUND THE ALARM, ALL CITIZENS TO THE BURROW!

The civilians scramble for cover and the military begin their warm-up routine. Only one squad of the filth, suprisingly well-armed, has been spotted so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The military had just received a full complement of gauntlets and the order for boots is sitting in the queue, only the breastplates remain to be smelted and forged.

I nod to Cilob,

"Wait just a little longer to see if any more are spotted, make sure none of the vermin survive to regret their greed."

"Yes overseer," replied Cilob "today The Axedancers will make our nation proud."

As an afterthought I added,

"Make sure to keep them clear of the livestock."

An update arrives from the gate,

"Commander! 4 more goblins have been spotted. They're quickly making their way over the south shoulder of the mountain, we believe all of the dwarves have been accounted for!"

"Good work!" Cilob shouted as he ran full speed to the trade depot, his Axedancers close behind.

Several of the soldiers run full speed to the armory, because naturally they haven't gotten all of their new equipment yet, and run back down to the trade depot as the goblins slaughter our watchdog.

As the goblins regroup, only 3 soldiers stand at the depot, I watch 3 others run past the depot to the armory.

"Shake the rust out you freeloaders!"

Meng Holdcudgel runs past yelling about an empty waterskin.
What perfect timing, as the goblins rally inside the gate.

4 dwarves stand at the depot....

6 dwarves stand as Ustba Arul the axegoblin charges down the ramps!

And the battle is over far quicker than it began.

Our military stands without a scratch, the invading army reduced to largely headless corpses in a matter of a few strides. All hail The Axedancers!

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 10-11-32

No sooner had the dwarves resumed gathering wood when a cry is heard across the fortress;

"IT'S COMING! BY ARMOK IT'S ALIVE! EVERYONE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

I dash to the barracks,

"Cilob! By Armok's Beard, I hope your boys have stocked up!"

I explain the situation as we make our way to the antechamber.

"There's only one thing for it, by the gods I have to go it alone, seal the gate behind me and if I don't return, you engrave me a nice slab and try and wait it out."

I stopped dead in my tracks, awestruck, but it wouldn't matter what I had to say about it, I had to hit that lever.

I heard a shout from above,

"RUN ITON! For the love of Armok, you can outrun the damn thing!"

Iton picks up the pace and makes his way back up the mountain, but he never had it's full attention. The Beast has it's sights set on Stodir Mountaininks, one of our legendary masons!
I see a cloud of dust go up between the trees and I quickly lose hope, our salvation lies with Cilob now.

I see Cilob running back towards the barracks, and realize the gate has been closed too quickly! They will have to rally and try to kill it in one shot!

The military gathers in the antechamber.....

Meng and Morul immediately volunteer to help Cilob, he nods in agreement and I head to re-open the gate....
I stand by the lever for what seems like an eternity, waiting for the signal to unleash dwarven hell and..........

........... what?

I'm sorry could you repeat that?

I stare at the messenger for a few seconds.

"This is no time for some kind of foolish joke you Armok-be-damned elf-lover! You expect me to believe it's just GONE!?"

All hail the Legendary Mason, and Slayer of The Titan Cana Cimathiniya!

Etur Fightmirrors!

It pains every dwarf to know that her victory will be short lived, already she shows signs of The Malady that pains her every step. Truly, The Titan was merciful when it caved in Stodir's head. Meng Ozkakservesh lays dying in a pool of blood near the pasture.
The doctors will do what they can to make them comfortable.

I lift the alert and lower the bridge so that someone can retrieve Meng and allow her to expire under the earth.

Several hours later, Meng Carryfurnace lays in the well-equipped hospital, her right false ribs have been completely smashed in and she is covered from head to toe in blisters. The doctor is in the midst of stitching up her inujuries. I take a moment to remind the doctor of proper protection when dealing with a legendary beast, he quails and grabs two more pairs of gloves.
He turns to me as he finishing stitching up Meng, and reminds me not to lose all hope so soon.
I notice that Etur is not in one of the beds, I inquire where exactly our hero is buried, and Taupe informs me she left of her own accord some time ago. A quick search finds her outside helping to construct the main entrance. She too is covered in blisters but seems to be managing just fine.

A search for the corpse of The Beast quickly begins to tell a story quite different from the one everyone had gathered

The dwarves may have been trapped outside, they may have climbed out of a hole, the only thing for certain is that The Beast may as well had an invitation.
We are immensely fortunate the goblins didn't find the same way in. I relay orders to immediately cover over the holes.

Those blasted woodcutters! The trees sat marked for cutting for months, and they finally cut them down in perfect time to leave us exposed! The damn beast could have easily wiped us out. As I examine the beasts remains I make note they are still covered in poisonous extract. I can only hope that the dwarves manage not to spread it around.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 11-05-32

Etur and Meng seem to have recovered completely from The Beast's sickness. Praise be to Armok! The double siege cost us but a single dwarf and some livestock.

With the two large magnetite deposits having been mined, the smelters are in full production making us useable metals. The masons still have another years work ahead of them, they have nearly completed smoothing the first bedroom level even as the second level is being excavated.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 12-20-32

Sodel gave birth to another bundle of booze today,

Welcome to the world, Pencil_Art Wonderedurns!

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 12-28-32

Another year ends at Axedanced, our progress can only be described as monumental.

The military stands nearly armed to the teeth, and hungry for war. Our stockpiles fill to the brim faster than we can manufacture containers and the raw resources in this mountain will keep us busy for at least a decade.

We gather in our wondrous dining hall, despite the noticable lack of chairs everyone is able to quite comfortably attend.

As we tap yet another barrel of booze the party begins to get raucous, dwarves are toasting the fortress, each other, the Mayor, and even a couple of the dwarves offer a toast to my visions as overseer.
As the party winds down and the dwarves slowly file to their bedrooms to recover, I find myself sitting alone, pondering the events of the last year.

Only 1500000* in this fortress and the Titans are already finding us.... we know these lands contain dragons and gigantesses. Though noone has heard or seen tell of them in a few decades... what could next year possibly throw at us?

We must get our main entrance finished, the framework and supports are complete and soon we can move our livestock closer to the entrance, perhaps this year we shall dig into a cavern layer, only then can we move the pastures underground and have this fortress cut off from the surface.
But what terrors wait for us under the earth?

I quaff my dwarven rum and set out to my bedroom, still lost in thought.

End of Year Three

Erumara

• Bay Watcher
  • RNG POWERS! ACTIVATE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 06:41:54 pm »

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 02-06-33

A couple uneventful and quite relaxing months pass by, and I receive word another group of dwarves have arrived, seeking to join our Town.

New to the fortress today:

Endok Woodenlances - Legendary brewer, thresher, and grower
Goden Gemboards - Legendary marksdwarf
Alath Paintvises - Legendary siege operator
Stakud Rulersteel the Prime Pearls of Sacrifice - Legendary axedwarf, all around badass, 33 kills
Urdim Furysabre - Legendary dyer
Erush Lashcalms the Armored Conflict of Shocks - Legendary hammerdwarf and weaver, --90-- kills
Risen Wiresavages - Legendary gem setter, creator of Nonubkor
Ast Bustglaze - Legendary Miner
Dastot Strapkey - Legendary furnace operator, armorsmith, and weaponsmith
Eral Tradedtruthful - Legendary weaver, creator of Etoler Zatam Dalzat
Zulban Ragpartnered - Legendary weaver, grower, and woodcrafter. Creator of Cugshildebish
Nil Roadspine - Legendary marksdwarf
Tekkud Ringedclouts - Legendary grower and fisherdwarf
Thob Breachedlanced - Legendary furnace operator and stonecrafter, creator of Umgansogdol
Asmel Crewedpaged - Legendary weaponsmith, armorsmith, metalsmith and metal crafter
Edem Monkbells - Legendary grower
Amost workedwealth - Legendary mason, creator of Fushuramkin
Urvad Regalhalls the Sacrificial Brilliance - Legendary axedwarf and organizer
Kadol Channelbucks - Siege operator
Minkot Tinceiling - Clerk
Kel Paintshaft - Trader

The new arrivals file into the dining room, looking quite pleased to have made such a long journey to join us.
According the records, two more exceptional adamantine battle axes have wandered into the fortress as well, how fortuitous.

The City of Axedanced is 117 dwarves strong today, quite an achievement in three short years.

The masons and metalcrafters have been very busy around the fortress, I made note of some of their masterful works.

-Statue of Libash-

-Carving of Yours Truly-

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 02-26-33

The last stone was laid into the bridge today, there are a few minor details to be finished and the microcline road will take a few months but Axedanced stands much more secure for the effort.
I announce a party to celebrate, attendance is high, I make note that there are far too many idlers, time to organize another squad for Cilob.

-Stonesense of the project-

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 03-11-33

Iton Armorbears has given birth to a healthy baby girl!

Doren Patternedwalled will surely grow up to be legendary in her own respect.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 04-08-33

Risen Washedpages has claimed one of the forges, let it be a legendary piece of armor.......

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 04-14-33

The human caravan was spotted at the edge of our lands today! Only the mountainhome could ever be a better trading partner.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 04-19-33

Mayor Morul was re-elected two days ago, I waited for the order for grates to come in. When I didn't receive the request I checked with him and he replied the two copper grates I had fabricated the previous year were more than enough, and forbade me from selling them.

Today Likot Tombsdance gave birth to a girl, high up the mountain.

The whole fortress welcomed Litast Roadlengths to the world.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 04-26-33

I popped by the Trade Depot to oversee the transaction, and my brains nearly leapt out of the top of my head. Zaglar had several barrels full of Vabok's legendary meals, and only an etching from the logbook can do it justice.

11000* for a damned barrel full of food! That cook is worth his weight in adamantine, reminder to throw him a party.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 05-06-33

After nearly a months worth of sweat, labour, and countless trips OUTSIDE for wood rather than taken from the ample stockroom one level below his feet.
Risen Washedpages has produced a masterwork worthy of The Ferocious Rack of Spinning,

Amas Balad "The Depth of Coils"

I believe these dwarves intend to drive me to madness with reminders of all the dangerous and notable creatures living in the nearby hills.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 05-15-33

Just as I thought my Official Register of Dwarves was getting dusty, word came another migration was headed toward the dining hall, lovely!

New arrivals:

Sibrek Eyemirrors - Jeweler
Domas Actdiamond - Trader
Cerod Tunnelship - Furnace operator
Dodok Lanternparched - Trader
Mafol Razorpast - Woodcrafter
Tobul Bluechannel - Son of Mafol Razorpast
Meng Goldendawned - Second son of Mafor Razorpast
Risen Abbeypelt - Trader

I hate to admit it, but not a single legendary dwarf arrived and I actually feel relieved. A fortress can always use more haulers and recruits.
Our city now has it's own heartbeat with 126 dwarves living underneath the earth.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 07-11-33

Stinthad arrives with the dwarven caravan, I send a note to Zuglar and sit back for a while and dream of the food they'll be bringing, which Vabok will happily make into one-of-a-kind meals most people of the world could only dream of.

I caught Stinthad admiring the new bridge on his way in, he caught me ogling his adamantine armor again.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 07-16-33

Trading went off without a hitch, we acquired a great variance of meat, plants, and cheese. No shortage of materials for our craftsdwarves either.
I relay orders for numerous sets of clothes. The masons have been working non-stop to furnish all of the bedrooms in our fortress and nary a dwarf is seen idle in these halls. I send orders to reorganize some of the stockpiles just to keep them fully occupied.

Erumara

• Bay Watcher
  • RNG POWERS! ACTIVATE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 08:17:59 pm »

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Manager, 07-22-33

The most joyous news arrived today. Along with some expected, but not so joyous news,

Not even four years from founding and The City of Axedanced is a barony of the Ferocious Rack of Spinning.

I found out not long after that Morul had recommended me as the new Baron, I was touched. Apparently those two grates that were produced for Morul managed to fulfill his every worldly desire, and he took it to heart.

Not one to let an opportunity pass, I immediately demanded a dining room and a tomb. I suppose we are overdue to expand the nearly empty graveyard.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Baron of Axedanced, 08-07-33

More migrants.......

New to the fortress:

Mebzuth Bellcontests - Woodcrafter
Kulet Inkfought - Trader
Bim Constructstones - Bowyer
Iteb Counselledships - Woodcutter
Dastot Graspanvil - Legendary axedwarf
Dishmab Mergedcraft - Brewer
Mestthos Minedkiss - Mechanic
Rovod Channeledmaroon - Trader

More trainees for Axedanced's newly crowned champion - Urvad Regalhalls the Sacrificial Brilliance. Legendary Axedwarf, Legendary Wrestler, Legendary teacher.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Baron of Axedanced, 08-10-33

I made a trek to inspect the new silver statues that had finally been installed in the barracks.

I suppose dwarves will always see things from their own perspective. Frankly I was there and both the craftsdwarves are wrong. Such is art!

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Baron of Axedanced, 12-03-33

Sibrek Eyemirrors took over the jeweler's workshop today. As he began gathering materials I got word that our interim manager, Erush Lashcalms the Armored Conflict of Shocks, is now the proud mother of Atir Flaggears, youngest daughter of Axedanced.

Not a day later and Sibrek has gathered some rough red spinels and has frantically begun his work.

The very NEXT day, Amost Coalsavages gave birth to son Besmar Rayssack.

Clearly these dwarves have too much free time. I mandate the production of more spears, I do so love pointy things.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Baron of Axedanced, 12-09-33

Sibrek finishes his work,

A very spiky gem, well done Sibrek, top notch work.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Baron of Axedanced, 12-16-33

I was quite enjoying my training, watching a striking demonstration lead by Dishmab Mergedcraft, when the alarm bells began to ring out across the fortress,

By Armok's Beard! Look at the size of that thing! Those seven heads all look ravenous!

I'm thankful for our military, two squads trained and clad in wondrous steel armor, I look forward to seeing the battle.
The civilians are ordered into the fort, The Axedancers and The Silvery Rights make their way to the surface, they shall defend our front gate to the death.

Mirding makes an immediate beeline for our entrance, lured by the wealth of delicious dwarves within, and he spots Alath Paintvises alone and nauseous in the woods!

Despite the risk the military immediately sets out for the beast, if the guards stationed at the gate can't make it in time, there is no hope for the siege operator!

Tun Paintedsevere looks on in horror as Alath is quickly overtaken by the hungry beast, the poor dwarf is torn to pieces in a matter of seconds by the vicious monster!

Flee Tun! It's your only hope! The military is so close!!!!

But the poor injured weaponsmith has no hope against the hydra. At least her demise is quick.

The military is only moments away, the whole fortress waits.........

And they clash on the cliffsides! The one-armed Axe Lord Datan Boltedlate dodging an attack and striking the first blows, clad in steel he's still too fast for the lumbering beast!
Within seconds the Axedancers arrive, and begin to butcher The Beast even as it stands,

And within a moment it's all over, the beast lies in shattered pieces on the mountainside. I lift the alert and give the military some well deserved time off.
It's a terrible tragedy this cost us two dwarves, and certainly Tun will be deeply missed by her young family. I shall send orders for memorials to be engraved posthaste.

Journal of Erumara Anamiteb, Baron of Axedanced, 12-28-33

And so ends another year at Axedanced, I had been entirely convinced it would be a peaceful year up until those awful slayings by the Hydra.
As dwarves cram into the massive dining hall, I find myself at almost entirely at ease. With a new squad of recruits already training under our champion, Axedanced should have little to worry about sieges in the future. Perhaps we are past due to open the caverns............

-Upper bedrooms-

-The History of Me-

-Fort Status-

End of Year 4
Pages: 1 [2]